Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPhone mount for round-tube keyboard stands

stoken6

Someone posted a question about recommended solutions for mounting a phone onto an X-stand - UK-based. Of course I can't find the thread, so starting another to respond.

I had exactly the same conundrum - I have bought this one https://staggmusic.com/en/products/view/LOOKSMART10SET-look-smart-phonetablet-holder-set-with-clamp-and-arm/ which in all honesty I wouldn't recommend. The clamp that grips the phone mounting arm (left in the third photo in the link) works by deforming a single piece of metal - it's not hinged. As such (on mine at least) I couldn't get enough grip to securely hold the mounting arm without wrpping tape around the mounting arm. And of course there's not a lot of tolerance.

The other clamp - the one that grips the keyboard stand - is fine. The phone holder is... all right, I guess. There's a ratcheted mechanism that keeps the brackets gripping the phone, but the the release mechanism round the back is small,fiddly and unreliable.

I would probably recommend using something like the On-Stage KSA7575 - I have good experiences of mechanisms that expand to grip a tube from within, robust and reliable. Add:
1. a mic boom

2. tripod thread adapter (5/8in to 1/in)

3. Simple tripod phone mount. 

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

After a few gigs with this Chinese brand-du-jour I got on Amazon, I can say... it works fine, does exactly what I need and didn't break the bank either. I'm actually surprised! It clamps onto the end of one of my X-stand's support arms, but also works mounted on a vertically-oriented tube like a mic stand (see the Amazon link). It has an adjustable extension for length, and the angle is adjustable as well. There's a ball joint at the phone or tablet mount so between these three adjustments I can get my iPad placed exactly where I need for chart reading. 

The second pic is with my old iPhone SE (2016). It looks like the jaws can't adjust close enough to hold most phones in landscape, so if that's a requirement, this mount won't work for you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moukey-Mmsph-1-Microphone-Headrest-Smartphones/dp/B07QHSGVTW/

669153147_phone-ipadmount.jpg.2920bdaf0c54c3155226305846e06088.jpg