Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lost KC thread - chart for EWF "September"

stoken6

Does anyone remember the thread from some years ago discussing how to play "September" with a single keyboard player, no horns? Someone attached a chart, including a description of how to use an octave brass patch for that "repeats an octave down" hook at the beginning. I've tried the internal forum search engine as well as google site:forums.musicplayer, but (as you might expect) either too many or too few results.

Any help much appreciated - I've picked up a new sub gig from my old bass player in a few weeks, and want to make a good impression.

Cheers, Mike.

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Am I the only one who hears the second chord as A mu major? (B-e-a over C# in the LH). Everyone else is doing Bm7.

You're not the only one! That's exactly what I've always played. (PS - don't ask if this is "like the record"! I have no idea. Right or wrong, this is what I do):

1571527236_sept2.thumb.jpg.5d63e75fddbb11c7f016d2f0da4d2b46.jpg

And, sorry, what is this "mu" chord you speak of? It's obviously a C# minor7 #5!

🙂 

AND AWAY WE GO!

• Like 1

BTW I know that last chord in bar 5 of my masterpiece above is different during the last four bars of the verses. Or, at least I think it is! Again, this is what I played all the years I did this songs at weddings. Nobody complained (to my face, anyway!).

image.png.a8e19100fc8b94c3e2dd72e1e6316352.png

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Thanks everyone who contributed. Am I the only one who hears the second chord as A mu major? (B-e-a over C# in the LH). Everyone else is doing Bm7.

53 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

You're not the only one! That's exactly what I've always played. (PS - don't ask if this is "like the record"! I have no idea. Right or wrong, this is what I do):

You're talking about the last chord in the following image, right?

272372361_ScreenShot2022-08-03at1_14_06PM.jpg.ffd94133cb2bc198cd7bf9e2899302da.jpg

That's almost the chord I play, except I lower that top A to a G#. Which is neither what Reezekeys charted, nor is it a Bm7.

Though I, likewise, make no claim to highest accuracy. It was not a song I spent time on, the song is one that falls into my "just get something close and move on" category.

4 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

BTW I know that last chord in bar 5 of my masterpiece above is different during the last four bars of the verses. Or, at least I think it is!

Yes, it definitely is different. But where you show the RH playing (from bottom to top) B-D-F-A, I play B-F-Ab.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

You're talking about the last chord in the following image, right?

272372361_ScreenShot2022-08-03at1_14_06PM.jpg.ffd94133cb2bc198cd7bf9e2899302da.jpg

Yes that one.

That's almost the chord I play, except I lower that top A to a G#. Which is neither what Reezekeys charted, nor is it a Bm7.

So you play a straight C# min7, that's fine. I keep the A on top because if you listen to the original track, somebody is holding that A for the entire intro. I know it's not the piano (might be organ?). Maybe nobody else in the bands I worked with was laying on that A, so I just gravitated to playing the voicings like that.

BTW there is no way I could see that being any kind of Bm7 chord. Maybe Mike is off by one chord when saying most folks play a Bmin there. The following chord is Bmin7.

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

BTW I know that last chord in bar 5 of my masterpiece above is different during the last four bars of the verses. Or, at least I think it is!

Yes, it definitely is different. But where you show the RH playing (from bottom to top) B-D-F-A, I play B-F-Ab

Same chord, without the color tones (b9 & b13). I just listened to the original and, indeed, that may be a straight C#7 chord! These jazz guys... 🙂 

I normally play a C#m7 (which I often just voice rootless as E/C#) for the chord in question. Haven't listened closely, but I could see the A being held throughout the intro for purpose of a certain vibe/energy--kinda like the guitar in Celebration stays on the root (Ab) as the rest of the band is playing the changes

...and yes, to my ears, it changes from C#m7 to C#7 leading up to the big A chord--which I voice (correctly or not lol) as Gmaj9/A

...the mention of Bm7 threw me off as well.  Probably just a clerical error I suppose.

15 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Right or wrong, this is what I do

Thank you Rob, that's exactly my approach. 

12 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Maybe Mike is off by one chord when saying most folks play a Bmin there

Definitely Mike is off by one chord. I meant C#m7 of course.

11 hours ago, Sean M. H. said:

Probably just a clerical error I suppose.

Correct, apologies.

Cheers, Mike

I have it on good authority that the proper chord is this. 

I have a good stretch but it is not easy to play. Larry Dunn's hands are bigger than mine. ;)

53931065_ScreenShot2022-08-04at9_54_13AM.thumb.png.2431d328a03bd6ba90e9d9e5b90d9955.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.