Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Backup Keyboard Solved! - Novation Launchkey 88

HammondDave

So after months of searching I found an excellent backup keyboard controller for my rig. The new Novation Launchkey 88 is an excellent <$400 choice that easily links to my iPad Pro. What makes this controller stand out is the quality non-weighted keybed that feels more like an expensive controller than the M-Audio models I have tested. In fact, the weighting is perfect for my own hands and will fit my organ, EP, and AP needs. My hands fly over these keys!  It has excellent quality control options, including knobs, faders, wheels, and pads that belie its low price. Plus its ergonomic design is first rate. Along with being an emergency backup for my Mojo rig, I will also use it on smaller quick setup gigs using it and my iPad alone. The buttons can switch MIDI setups so that I can instantly switch from Korg Module, to Model D and to VB3m. It is powered via USB bus so you will need to hook it up to a Phone, tablet, or computer.  It weighs 18lbs.  I will update this quick review as I play with it more, but nothing comes close to it in this low price range. 

A2CDAD11-2D36-459A-83BA-B29AEC5EE4E5.jpeg

• Like 5

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 hour ago, drawback said:

No Expression Pedal input!!! Argh.

Yeah… thats stupid. But I will just use my volume pedal. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Volume pedal between the iPad’s headphone jack and the mixer is better than nothing, but it’s yet another workaround on a brand new controller. Given it has semi weighted action, someone at  Novation isn’t considering their market. My 1.77 cents. 

Here for the gear.

Seems we have similar impressions:

I’m satisfied, too, and yeah you can program just about all of the controls to send CCs. 

While I’d like controllers to have more than just sustain input, and while I’d like one less thing, the MIDI Expression Quattro more than solves the problem. It is just too damn cool. 

I make software noises.

2 hours ago, johnchop said:

the MIDI Expression Quattro more than solves the problem. It is just too damn cool. 

Looks as though their supply chain issues have been resolved. When I first checked these out back in 2020, shipping to Canada was next to impossible – very long waits and the cost of shipping so high, the items weren't worth ordering. Now at least they're available (although I see the Expression -1 socket is presently out of stock and not available till May 2023).

I still have to shake my head over the fact there's only a sustain pedal input on the Novation when they've clearly thought of everything else. Defies logic, IMO.

Here for the gear.

1 hour ago, drawback said:

I still have to shake my head over the fact there's only a sustain pedal input on the Novation when they've clearly thought of everything else. Defies logic, IMO.

They just scaled up their smaller Launchkey designs I think, none of which had an expression input either. I would have loved an expression input on my 37 for orchestral writing and such...instead I have to use a knob assigned to CC11. It's like the perfect little desk controller otherwise.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

5 hours ago, johnchop said:

Seems we have similar impressions:

I’m satisfied, too, and yeah you can program just about all of the controls to send CCs. 

While I’d like controllers to have more than just sustain input, and while I’d like one less thing, the MIDI Expression Quattro more than solves the problem. It is just too damn cool. 

John. Do you know how to change the polarity of the faders to mimic the hammond drawbars (so that when at 0 they are at full?)

There was no specific “invert” option, but thinking they might be clever over there at Novation HQ, I set the min CC value to 127 and the max value to 0. 

And it worked! I didn’t see that in the manual either. 

So ya, you can take that approach to make drawbars.  

hope this helps!

-John

I make software noises.

3 hours ago, Noah DC said:

There is a reverse polarity option in the VB3 settings.

Yup. Found it. Thx

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Good review.  I am using it as an inexpensive emergency backup keyboard, but one with an excellent feeling keybed and MIDI control devices. I may still build a cool DAW with it.