Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

STAY Keyboard Stands

I just read about these in another thread, and I’m almost positive I want the 1202 piano model with the double tier. I’ve tried their website, eBay and a few other places but it seems like nobody has them. Any ideas? I do live in central Mexico, but I could have it shipped to a Texas address and brought down for me if there isn’t one here. Used would be fine too. Thanks!

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I have a Spider Pro, and borrowed a Stay knockoff (ie, not Stay but exactly like it) that my friend got from Amazon.  I was pretty impressed with the Stay(like) stand.   It was much lighter than the Spider and while the legs and arms detach, making setup take a little longer, that made it very simple and allowed it to be light.   The main reason I decided to not buy it from him is that I thought I might be putting two heavy-ish keyboards on it--this was the very lightest of those stands.   The Tower version or the Piano, that wouldn't have been an issue.  Also, it didn't have a mic stand adapter and I really like being able to pop a boom onto my stand with a quick-connect adapter.

I've had an interest in a STAY Compact stand for lightweight 1-board gigs, but even Thomann doesn't seem to have them.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

They are hard to find in the US.  You assemble them from pieces, which makes setup and teardown a bit fiddly.  They are about as stable as any column-based keyboard stand which is to say not very much.  I have a single and a dual model in red. 

Although they check all the boxes and look great, it's my Spider Pro that usually goes to every gig.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

On 7/25/2022 at 9:14 PM, David Bryce said:

Don’t do it, Doug.  I have that stand.  Not the most robust thing… 😬

dB

Thanks, Dave--are you talking about the piano version? That seems stronger compared to the compact version. If we are talking about the same piece, I will walk away from it! Remember, though, my boards are lightweight and it's unlikely I'm going to anything heavier as I get older--I have a Casio px5s on the bottom which is only about 23 pounds and a hammond SK1 on top, around 17 pounds I think. My new King Korg will sit on a stand to the right.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I have the KM 188802 or whatever, and although I have loved the adjustability to get the upper keyboard just close enough to the lower, I have to say that it has been really pretty feeble after a couple of years of gigging. Screws fall out, caps pop off. pain in the ass.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

1 hour ago, Doug Robinson said:

I have a Casio px5s on the bottom which is only about 23 pounds and a hammond SK1 on top, around 17 pounds I think.

Mr Robinson as you mention you use a PX5s. Heres something I put up on another thread recently that may be worth reading.

I didnt reply earlier to your thread because you are asking about a diffetent Stay model to mine (a completely different design)

This info may be helpful because your PX5s (11kg) is literally the same chassis as my PX330 (11.5kg because of the speakers). Yours is half a kilo lighter.

I used a single keyboard on it mostly but for rehearsal added an Alesis QS6.1 (around 8kg) on top which is roughly your top tier keyboards weight i think. I had less time with top tier but i was happy with it up there.

Ill copy from other thread but remove non relevant (to your case) info. Is it worth you looking at the Slim or the bigger tower.

Quote from other thread with non relevant removed

"I have 2 of the 2 tier Stay Slims and they are rated at 20kg maximum but sometimes stated at 10kg each tier but other times 20kg overal as the single tier Slim is I think rated as 20kg max.

So one tier 20kg or 10kg? (My personal feeling its the rating of the legs not the arms hence you can buy a single tier Slim and it still has a 20kg rating if i remember rightly years ago).

There is a smaller Stay Compact which is simply a shorter Slim with the top tier area cut off. Should have same rating as a single tier Slim. It is crazy smaller and lighter again.

Never the less I used a 11.5kg Casio PX330 on my Slim without any suggestion of being overloaded on one tier. And when using both tiers an 8kg Alesis QS6.1 on top. It handled it admirably.

There is bounce just like the Apex i used in the 80s but no more than an Apex.

Edit: I remember though the Slim is marketed as a 61 note stand by Stay (not an 88note that I use on it). Id personally limit the weight of my 88 due to length over hang bounce) im not advocating anyone risk anything just offering my experience as Stay advocates 61 note keyboards.

This is the Slim not the larger Tower (which is a sizewise direct competitor to an Apex type stand) and i think is marketed at 76 note keyboards."

Just now, Doug Robinson said:

Thanks,  Aussie--the model I was looking at is the dual piano model, not the slim or the compact. It's rated at 65 kg per tier, I believe.

Yeah i know hence why i hadnt replied earlier but you have same physical keyboard chassis and lighter keyboard weight as mine so  thought it maybe useful looking at the alternative stay slims as people mention the they weren't confident with the piano model.

Definately a heavy piano cannot be used on a Slim but the casios seem to be often used on a Slim as they are often sold packaged with the Slim in Slims home country.

• Like 1

Thanks, Dave--are you talking about the piano version?

Yes.

Yes.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this double keyboard gigging quest is taking over my life.

The Stay piano double seemed the perfect option due to cost, light weight, ease of setup and fun styling. But David says it is wobbly and I believe him.

I like some Z stand options but they have to be assembled and disassembled and I need fast setup and something less complex that folds is better for me.

The Spider pro looked good until I saw how much it cost, almost $500. Yikes, not going to happen. By the time I get it down here to Mexico, that's going to cost me over $600. It's also 51" high--way more than I need, because I play sitting down.

Now, the Spider pro Baby is only $195 (edit--it's over $400!), can take a second keyboard tier and is only 39" high. My current stand is the K and M 18880 with the second keyboard arms. It is only 37" high, so the Baby pro would probably work fine. I don't know anyone who is using it though--anyone here?

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I've gigged the Baby Spider Pro for I think 10 years or so. 

Advantages - it folds up quickly, it provides good room for pedals and stuff (big advantage over some other column stands), the four-foot stance makes it stable, the tiers are infinitely adjustable, it looks more stylish than other similar stands.

Downsides - you need to be able to work with the maximum height, which is obviously substantially shorter than the full Spider Pro (it works for me because I'm 5'5"). The arms are held in place by rubber plugs that are located on the end of the arms (the end that faces into the column) - and with mine, the plugs occasionally lose their hold over time, and if the plug falls out your arm is useless. That's probably the weak link in this stand, which means it's good to buy an extra plug or two and keep it and a Phillips screwdriver in your gig bag.

I don't really gig it that often anymore, as I've moved to a custom two-tier Gibraltar stand, but I've talked about that on forum a few months ago.

21 minutes ago, Doug Robinson said:

Now, the Spider pro Baby is only $195, can take a second keyboard tier and is only 39" high. My current stand is the K and M 18880 with the second keyboard arms. It is only 37" high, so the Baby ro would probably work fine. 

Why is the K&M not meeting your needs?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 minute ago, AnotherScott said:

Why is the K&M not meeting your needs?

Just too fragile--the knobs fall off and get lost, it feels less sturdy every time I set it up--granted, I used it for 3 or f4 years now, but I've got it gerry-rigged because I've lost that many parts.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

12 minutes ago, Doug Robinson said:

Just too fragile--the knobs fall off and get lost, it feels less sturdy every time I set it up--granted, I used it for 3 or f4 years now, but I've got it gerry-rigged because I've lost that many parts.

I also have one of those same K&M stands.  I bought it for my studio originally.  Tried once to take it apart to gig with it, but changed my mind pretty quickly during the breakdown process.

I do still have it in my studio, though.  Works quite nicely there.

dB

6 minutes ago, Doug Robinson said:

I wonder why you're losing parts. When you set it up, obviously, once you open it up, you have to turn the two knobs to lock it into place. When you loosen those two knobs to collapse the stand at the end of the gig, are you tightening those two knobs again for transport? Failing to lock those knobs down again is about the only way I could imagine losing them. The remaining knobs never have to be loosened in the first place. I guess it could be a good idea to check them every so-many-months to make sure they're still tight... but if they got loose, you'd probably notice something amiss long before they got so loose that they fell off.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 minutes ago, David Bryce said:

I also have one of those same K&M stands.  I bought it for my studio originally.  Tried once to take it apart to gig with it, but changed my mind pretty quickly during the breakdown process.

I do still have it in my studio, though.  Works quite nicely there.

The breakdown process is hand-loosen two knobs, collapse the two sides together, and hand-tighten the two knobs again. Maybe swing away the cross-brace, if you're using it (I'm among those who usually doesn't even attach it in the first place). What did you find tricky about the breakdown?

I've talked in other threads about how there's no perfect stand for me.  The K&M is close.  My biggest gripe with that stand is that if you happen to switch between sitting and standing, that particular adjustment is not quick (and I believe requires a tool).  Not sure if that's what DB was referring to or not though.  As Scott said, the other adjustments and collapsing it for transport are about as quick and painless as you can get (besides an x-stand).

My workaround the last few months for the height-adjustment issue is just to keep two stands in my vehicle.  The K&M when I have two boards and want to play seated (which has been 90% of the time lately)...and an x-stand for when I only have one board (in which case I sometimes play standing)...not ideal, but it works.

...haven't had any problems with lost parts either.  I don't take the knobs all the way off when I loosen them for transport though.  I just loosen them, collapse the stand, and re-tighten them, as Scott said.  So I'm not sure which parts you're having issues with Doug.

25 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

The breakdown process is hand-loosen two knobs, collapse the two sides together, and hand-tighten the two knobs again. Maybe swing away the cross-brace, if you're using it (I'm among those who usually doesn't even attach it in the first place). What did you find tricky about the breakdown?

The number of pieces, and size of same.  I don’t have a bag that long/wide, and don’t love the loose screws.  

Maybe I’m just too used to my Apex - breaks down in seconds, self- contained, needs no bag, handle makes it way easy to move 

My K&M is a two tier.  Do I remember correctly that it’s also available without the second tier?

dB

29 minutes ago, Sean M. H. said:

My workaround the last few months for the height-adjustment issue is just to keep two stands in my vehicle.  The K&M when I have two boards and want to play seated (which has been 90% of the time lately)...and an x-stand for when I only have one board (in which case I sometimes play standing)...not ideal, but it works.

When standing and playing just a single board, couldn't you also use the same K&M 2-tier stand, leave the bottom tier empty, and just place your one board on the top tier? (If you normally angle your top tier, you'd presumably want to un-angle it for this usage... but changing the angle is pretty quick.) Another approach, if you don't need TOO many inches added to the bottom tier to make it suitable for playing-while-standing is to attach a small riser. I did something similar for  a different reason, I have a pic somewhere...

19 minutes ago, David Bryce said:

The number of pieces, and size of same.  I don’t have a bag that long/wide, and don’t love the loose screws.  

Maybe I’m just too used to my Apex - breaks down in seconds, self- contained, needs no bag, handle makes it way easy to move 

My K&M is a two tier.  Do I remember correctly that it’s also available without the second tier?

I wonder if we're talking about the same K&M. The 18880 itself is single tier, and then you can buy the optional 18881 or 18882 to make it 2-tier. Either way, "number of pieces" is one. That is, once assembled, it collapses to a single transportable piece, nothing has to be removed. It doesn't need a bag. There are no loose screws. Indeed, it "breaks down in seconds, self- contained, needs no bag."

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

I wonder if we're talking about the same K&M. The 18880 itself is single tier, and then you can buy the optional 18881 or 18882 to make it 2-tier. Either way, "number of pieces" is one. That is, once assembled, it collapses to a single transportable piece, nothing has to be removed. It doesn't need a bag. There are no loose screws. Indeed, it "breaks down in seconds, self- contained, needs no bag."

You are correct - I am in error. :hider:

Mine is a 18820 - and it is a single tier to which you can add a second tier (which is the way I bought a floor unit at NAMM a bunch of years ago).

Here’s what it looks like.  My comments will make more sense now….for example, the feet need to come off to move it - the screws come out.  The crossbars are also a bit of a pain….and this is without the second tier. 😬

dB

B53680D7-8FFD-4291-833A-405B43658A2A.jpeg

• Like 1

I have to give up, this is just a bit overwhelming. No one makes what I need for a price that I think is reasonable--between $200 and $300 usd--or at a weight that works for my bad back. I just discovered a newer option, a QuikLokSL930, but it's 26 pounds. That's heavier than any of my keyboards and I know the payoff will be stability but load-in and load-out in Mexico can require long schleps and I can't do it.

If any of you have a Stay piano stand with a second tier that you aren't thrilled with, let me know and maybe I can buy it from you. If it's too wobbly for my gigs, I'll just use it in the studio.

I am not a builder, but when I look at the two-keyboard options out there I am just stunned at how they are either over-complicated or unsturdy right out of the box--I watched a video review of a Griffin stand and I swear, it was rocking from side to side and he never even mentioned it. Seems like an unmet need to me.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com