Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tv jones pickups

Just got my 5622 back with the classics installed. Crazy good tone,the black tops were ok but nothing like these. Takes overdrives extremely well. Was surprised how well the bridge worked with fuzz. A little pricey but well worth the money.

• Like 5

I bought a Tele a while back because it had a set of TV Jones Filtertrons in it. I parted it out, sold the parts at break even and am planning what to do with the pickups. 

Then I was digging through one of my parts boxes and found the gold plated NOS Supertron that measured 160 ohms (maybe a low impedance bass pickup?). 

I sent it to TV to be rewound as a vintage Supertron. Haven't heard that one yet but I'm looking forward to it!

TV Jones is good stuff, no two ways about it. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It's a cool sound.  I've wanted a Cabronita Tele with Joneses for sometime. .... But the madness must stop somewhere.  I don't know how many guitars I own.

• Like 3
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

2 hours ago, CEB said:

It's a cool sound.  I've wanted a Cabronita Tele with Joneses for sometime. .... But the madness must stop somewhere.  I don't know how many guitars I own.

Ya say that almost like it's a bad thing...  ;)   May everyone have such problems and nothing more!  :D 

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...

I met Mr. Jones at a guitar show in Dallas some years ago.  Very nice.  Classy, patient, and willing to teach people about how to use his pickups… and how NOT to.

I’ve often contemplated getting some to upgrade one of my guitars, but haven’t settled on any one in particular.  And when Rival Sons guitarist Scott Holiday started delivering all kinds of great, classic rock tones with his TVJ-loaded Kauer guitars*…whoooooooooo….  Guitar lust ignited.

* Especially the Gibson Firebird inspired Banshees.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

6 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Please expound upon that!

When I talked to him, I was considering his pickups for a guitar that had been wired for coil splitting.  He politely informed me that would be a terrible idea.  While they were technically assembled in a way that would allow for splitting, he advised that they would sound terrible if you did so.  As he put it, their output was too low to deliver a good tone when split.  I took that as gospel.

So, because many of the guitars I’ve been considering upgrading pickups in have that kind of wiring, it’s pipushed my acquisition of his product back a bit.  IOW, his honesty meant I haven’t bought any of his pickups yet.  OTOH, even though it’s cost him a sale so far, it strengthened my respect for him personally and as a businessman, so I’ve only increased my support of his pickups, and my desire to find the right guitar to put them in.*

* I mean as an upgrade- I REALLY want a Kauer Banshee with TVJ pickups! 😄

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

On 8/5/2022 at 11:27 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

When I talked to him, I was considering his pickups for a guitar that had been wired for coil splitting.  He politely informed me that would be a terrible idea.  While they were technically assembled in a way that would allow for splitting, he advised that they would sound terrible if you did so.  As he put it, their output was too low to deliver a good tone when split.  I took that as gospel.

So, because many of the guitars I’ve been considering upgrading pickups in have that kind of wiring, it’s pipushed my acquisition of his product back a bit.  IOW, his honesty meant I haven’t bought any of his pickups yet.  OTOH, even though it’s cost him a sale so far, it strengthened my respect for him personally and as a businessman, so I’ve only increased my support of his pickups, and my desire to find the right guitar to put them in.*

* I mean as an upgrade- I REALLY want a Kauer Banshee with TVJ pickups! 😄

Mr. Jones would be spot on regarding splitting coils, he is doing the "Gretsch thing", all the vintage Gretsch pickups that TV Jones is emulating are in the 4k range as in-series hum buckers. They do offer some overwound options with higher output. 

A stock Strat single coil runs 6k or slightly more. 

A split coil on a TV Jones pickup would run about 2K-ish. Very low output, full frequency response and a relatively poor signal to noise ratio. 

I love the sound of the vintage Gretsch pickups, I had some of the guitars and long ago we were able to purchase NOS Gretsch Supertron II pickups for $14 from somebody who got them at the Gretsch auction when they were closing down their guitar production. So I put them in other guitars. Sadly, I let them all slip away.

The tone is such that a split coil would not be needed, at the same time it is fully hum bucking and has a bit fuller tone than a single coil while keeping the definition. Sort of a "somewhere in-between" sound but with the best of both. Brighter than a Gibson style hum bucker but just as quiet, with a full but defined low end. 

TV Jones offers a pickup ring that fits standard hum bucking routes, I have a set of his TV Classic pickups in those rings, they may wind up in my 335. Those are essentially copies of the vintage Gretsch Filterton pickups but with a bit of width compensation so the neck and bridge have different string spacing to suit the position. 

Before I went all active, the Gretsch pickups were far and away my favorite passive guitar pickups. From a whisper to a scream, they delivered. 

I don't think you'll be disappointed or miss the extra switch, especially in the neck position. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I’ve heard enough TVJ pickups to know they won’t disappoint!  If anything, it would be me disappointing THEM!🤪

Now, I am sure that's not true.

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _