Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to fix tilted photos WITHOUT cropping in Photoshop

How to fix tilted photos WITHOUT cropping in Photoshop

Have you ever tried straightening a tilted photo? Typically, you must crop the photo since it leaves empty space. However, Photoshop can fill in those empty spaces realistically. Here’s how to straighten the horizon without cropping.

https://photofocus.com/software/how-to-fix-tilted-photos-without-cropping-in-photoshop/

1278_kenlee_warnerpark-4thofJuly_220704_

Awesome! I haven't checked Elements 2021 yet to see if it has that AI feature. I'm guessing probably not but it might. 

Just when I think they have everything covered they come up with something super-cool like this!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't know of Elements has that or not. Good question. But yeah, this is so useful. 

For some reason, when I posted this, two photographers in one camera group said, "Oh yeah, I don't need this, I just use the Constraint feature. I tried to point out that by doing this, they're cropping the photo, but they either don't understand that or don't care that they're losing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I don't know of Elements has that or not. Good question. But yeah, this is so useful. 

For some reason, when I posted this, two photographers in one camera group said, "Oh yeah, I don't need this, I just use the Constraint feature. I tried to point out that by doing this, they're cropping the photo, but they either don't understand that or don't care that they're losing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I've leveled and cropped photos many times. Most of the time, if I am shooting too sloppy to get things level I've also got extra picture in my picture so it doesn't matter much.

That doesn't change how useful this tool is but I tend to pay more attention to composition and leveling than I used to. 

Nothing in photography bugs me more than a calm body of water that is slanted!!!! Just ain't right is what... 😇

It comes in handy when you are photographing really quickly, such as being on stage with a rock band. 

I will say, however, that despite the fact that I have a level in my camera, more photos than I'd like from my night photography are a bit crooked. When I photograph, I want it to either be level or wildly 1960s Batman crooked.

8 minutes ago, KenElevenShadows said:

When I photograph, I want it to either be level or wildly 1960s Batman crooked.

🤣 That's funny!!!

I get it though, we can't always use a tripod. It interferes with spontanaety, which is a big part of some genres. Rock bands, any sort of journalism, model shoots, wildlife, often the best images are split second opportunities and we need to be quick on the draw. That Photoshop attribute could save a lot of photos!

Yes, although with photojournalism, you would not be allowed to do that because that would be considered inappropriate manipulation of photos. 

I shouldn't have too many crooked night photos, but every once in a while, I either get too impatient to level something perfectly or I forget and then I have to go and fix it somehow. And most of the time, a simple constrain crop does the trick. But if I'm in a tight spot, every once in a rare while, I need to really fix it. And that's when this comes in handy. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 5:26 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

Yes, although with photojournalism, you would not be allowed to do that because that would be considered inappropriate manipulation of photos. 

I shouldn't have too many crooked night photos, but every once in a while, I either get too impatient to level something perfectly or I forget and then I have to go and fix it somehow. And most of the time, a simple constrain crop does the trick. But if I'm in a tight spot, every once in a rare while, I need to really fix it. And that's when this comes in handy. 

The long-standing rule about not modifying photos for photojournalism is a good one but I suspect the horse has long since left the barn on that one - especially with news photos of politicians or celebrities. Photoshop has changed many things and to a limited extent this would be one of them. I had photojournalism in college and it was not frowned upon back then to adjust the easel when printing and crop a bit out of the now-leveled image and that was pre-Photoshop. Adding or subtracting important details, including the presence or appearance of particular people is certainly not ethical or (probably) commonplace but it probably happens and with news being propagated mostly online now the massive barrage of daily content makes it nearly impossible to police in any case. There doesn't seem to be much anybody can do about pseudo-journalism like the National Enquirer either, ie: "Three Headed Woman Gives Birth to Iquana-Boy" etc. 🤣

So don't always believe what you see!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think most mainstream newspapers and that kind of thing still have that sort of rule. I know a photojournalist who have gotten fired because he cloned out a backpack in the background of his photo. So cropping something straight is okay. I doubt cloning in the edges would be considered okay because you are creating something that was not there, even if it is extremely innocuous.

If it's an information blog or whatever, then who knows, all bets might be off since they would borrow photos, not have photographers on staff, and serve as a mouthpiece for an organization. But it's not that difficult for reasonably-minded people to figure out that the BBC or Washington Post might adhere to high standards, but someone's blog may not.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

I think most mainstream newspapers and that kind of thing still have that sort of rule. I know a photojournalist who have gotten fired because he cloned out a backpack in the background of his photo. So cropping something straight is okay. I doubt cloning in the edges would be considered okay because you are creating something that was not there, even if it is extremely innocuous.

If it's an information blog or whatever, then who knows, all bets might be off since they would borrow photos, not have photographers on staff, and serve as a mouthpiece for an organization. But it's not that difficult for reasonably-minded people to figure out that the BBC or Washington Post might adhere to high standards, but someone's blog may not.

Your last sentence certainly rings true. Journalism as it was practiced for decades in the US and other countries is in peril in our "anything goes, post it on the interwebz" society. 

I mention the "US and other countries" because there are also many countries around the world that have their own "ethics" regarding photography. Russia and China come to mind, just for two of many. 

Now that many of us get our news from compilations like Yahoo, all bets are off on photos being authentic. I'm all for the standards, journalism should be about actual news reported accurately. 

Even in the States things do get "slippery" sometimes. 

So it goes...☹️

30 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Your last sentence certainly rings true. Journalism as it was practiced for decades in the US and other countries is in peril in our "anything goes, post it on the interwebz" society. 

I mention the "US and other countries" because there are also many countries around the world that have their own "ethics" regarding photography. Russia and China come to mind, just for two of many. 

Now that many of us get our news from compilations like Yahoo, all bets are off on photos being authentic. I'm all for the standards, journalism should be about actual news reported accurately. 

Even in the States things do get "slippery" sometimes. 

So it goes...☹️

"Our cities are filled with degenerate scum.
  They invent new crimes every day.
  We let any cowboy with an AK47 and a cause piss all over us.
  We're rules by fools whose only qualification is
   that a bunch of sheep found them more attractive
    than the other fools."
 "Not a democrat, then."
 "Democracy is for ancient Greeks."
     ~ Garth Ennis, "Preacher"

Oooo! 😮 This is where I veer back towards all things musical and away from more than a brief whiff of Politics. :like:

• Like 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

On 8/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, David Emm said:

"Our cities are filled with degenerate scum.
  They invent new crimes every day.
  We let any cowboy with an AK47 and a cause piss all over us.
  We're rules by fools whose only qualification is
   that a bunch of sheep found them more attractive
    than the other fools."
 "Not a democrat, then."
 "Democracy is for ancient Greeks."
     ~ Garth Ennis, "Preacher"

Oooo! 😮 This is where I veer back towards all things musical and away from more than a brief whiff of Politics. :like:

Well, I don't consider it political, just common sense. 

A great example would be the photo of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. Iconic, published in many newspapers at the time, and posed and re-shot until they got the results they wanted.

Not a journalistic photo but offered as such when it was created. 

Whacha gonna do? Long since done and gone although the photo remains iconic. 

All I'm saying is don't believe everything you see. Translated to music, don't believe every thing you hear. Or, go ahead and enjoy the trickery. Your call... 😬