Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New 12-string 335-style thin-line hollow body guitar from Guild!

The reason Caevan, for my question comes from an article I read on George Harrison's preferring the lower string to be hit first: "Harrison’s first 360/12 was the second Rickenbacker 12-string ever made; its serial number—CM107—dates it to December 1963. The main difference between it and the prototype is how they are strung. The first model had a conventional 12-string setup, in which the octave string is the first to be struck in each string pair. On Harrison’s model and subsequent Rickenbacker 12-strings, the octave strings occur second in the string pairs and the lower-pitched string is struck first." Guitar World 4/17/17.

Just wondering how those that play 12's would like the lower pitched string being sounded first...I hope to get a chance someday to give one a try. 😎

Take care, Larryz

4 hours ago, Larryz said:

The reason Caevan, for my question comes from an article I read on George Harrison's preferring the lower string to be hit first: "Harrison’s first 360/12 was the second Rickenbacker 12-string ever made; its serial number—CM107—dates it to December 1963. The main difference between it and the prototype is how they are strung. The first model had a conventional 12-string setup, in which the octave string is the first to be struck in each string pair. On Harrison’s model and subsequent Rickenbacker 12-strings, the octave strings occur second in the string pairs and the lower-pitched string is struck first." Guitar World 4/17/17.

Just wondering how those that play 12's would like the lower pitched string being sounded first...I hope to get a chance someday to give one a try. 😎

Well, like I said, I'd go with the 'regular' string [the "lower-pitched string"] on the bottom, octave on top- that is, on the bass side, first in line when down-picking. This gives just a little better definition, more 'fundamental' [the "lower-pitched string"], base of the octave-course pair.  That also makes it a bit easier to emphasize the 'regular' string.

It's a small difference, but it is a difference- especially if you take advantage of that arrangement and deliberately pick in a way that emphasizes that lower-pitched string in each pair. You can down-pick that lower-pitched string primarily; or, drive-through the pair to get both ringing out more evenly; or, up-pick to try to emphasize the octave-strings of each pair. There will almost always a be a bit of a blend of the two, but you can pick and choose (pardon the pun :D).

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

7 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Hehhehhehh... I'm no Pro, but I'm an opinionated bastard who'll rattle off what I think are pros and cons... ;) :D

So does that mean you're a con? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I haven't "chimed" in on the string order question, as most of my instruments are inaccessible for the foreseeable future (excepting the ones I kept at hand due to gigs and rehearsals), due to my entire basement being crowded into the main floor while the flood aftermath is being dealt with.

As I primarily use electric 12-string for lead work vs. rhythm work (where I prefer acoustic 12-string), I have more control over how I strike the strings, so I'm not sure it matters that much to me. Nevertheless, I once played the highest-end Rick model in a store and loved the sound... but hated the neck. So I didn't buy it (or the Rick basses I've seen over the years, which have the added detriment, in my view, of having stereo outputs, when I always center the bass and low frequencies in my mixes).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

8 hours ago, Larryz said:

Thanks Kuru! I've never got to play a 12 with the octave below.  On your octave below, do you find that you can play just the wound bass sound without the octave chiming in on down strokes?  It would seem harder (if possible) to do with the octave above? 😎

7 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Hehhehhehh... I'm no Pro, but I'm an opinionated bastard who'll rattle off what I think are pros and cons... ;) :D

'Depends'. If I really had to choose one or the other, I think I'd go with the 'regular' string on the bottom, octave on top. This gives just a little better definition, more 'fundamental', base of the octave-course pair.

That also makes it a bit easier to emphasize the 'regular' string- but if you're already playing a 12-String, why wouldn't you want to always have the octaves chiming out all the time? Besides, that's what pining for a double-neck is for!  :D ;) 

I'mma do a 2-fer. Larryz, yes, sometimes I don't hit the octave string on an octave below guitar hard enough to matter. I do use upstrokes as well as down strokes so it doesn't happen much and it doesn't bother me at all. Above somewhere I mention that the demonstrator of the Guild sounds like he's using a heavy pick. I DO use a heavy pick for my Strat most of the time, it provides more dynamic range as long as you can control the softer picking. For recording all bets are off, I may use a heavy pick, I may use a light pick or I may use fingers depending. 

On a 12 string I ether use a lighter pick or fingers. I find the lighter pick compliments the 12 string sound more than a heavy pick. I can fingerpick and I love that sound, I also strum using "fingers down, thumb up" which engages the nails instead of the pads so it sounds somewhere in between fingers and picks. It took a while to get that a down, you want to strike accurately, smoothly and quickly. It doesn't sound like any other guitar style that I've heard (others do use it as well), so I added it to my "ish". 

I agree with Mr. O'Shite up to a point. I am more used to the octave up but I find I really like the octave down sound as well. it's more "60's" sounding if that makes any sense. 

Yet another tool in the kit is how I look at it. 

For all this, my go-to for 12 string sounds is to use a six string in standard tuning and my 3/4 sized Strat copy tuned and intonated to Nashville tuning, which is just the octave strings from a 12 string. Why? You can pan them left and right and get a bigger sound stage in a recording. It is also very easy to capo up both guitars or just one or the other, which provides a variety of sounds. 

Last but not least, accurate fingerpicking is much easier on 6 strings than 12. A 12 string comes into play sometimes but mostly I use the Nashville option. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

23 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

'Depends'. If I really had to choose one or the other, I think I'd go with the 'regular' string on the bottom, octave on top. This gives just a little better definition, more 'fundamental', base of the octave-course pair.

That also makes it a bit easier to emphasize the 'regular' string- but if you're already playing a 12-String, why wouldn't you want to always have the octaves chiming out all the time? Besides, that's what pining for a double-neck is for!  :D ;) 

Instead of posting my own opinion, I will simply agree 100% with what Caevan said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
I rock; therefore, I am.