Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bluetooth speaker recommendations

My birthday is next Friday and i have requested a Bluetooth speaker as my gift.  I'm looking for a high/good quality one that is rugged and can be transported in a carry on bag. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thx!

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I tried several before buying, most are “boomy”….. i have been very happy with the Bose Soundlink - very balanced and clear sound for its size.  YMMV.

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Features you may want:

: can be connected to 2 devices at once, makes switching from one to the other much faster/easier

: can pair up via NFC, a sweet offering, getting BT speakers to pair up can sometimes be a pain

: has an input jack so that you’re not limited to streaming wirelessly but can even use it as an instrument amp, though as the Real MC said, you may have unusable latency

: has an output jack, so that you can hook it up to other speakers for a fuller sound

: has long battery life- it’s pretty sweet to be able to go 20-30 hours without charging!

: has Bluetooth 5 and BT LE, both important upgrades from previous BT

: bass is always a challenge with small speakers

: can pair with multiple copies of the same speaker so that from one streaming source you can have 2 and even more speakers playing at once

: it has buttons for going to the next track or the previous track, VERY HANDY!

You asked an impossibly general question.  What do you need it for?  How much bass before you’re satisfied, most of the smaller under $100 ones are very weak on bass.  There are some so small it clips onto things with its built-in carabiner, the Flip 4 is super portable and apparently has strong bass considering how small it is.  

Then there’s a new generation of them that have larger speakers and are used as guitar/keyboard/vocalist amplification.    I have the JBL Eon One Compact, has 8”woofer/2” tweeter, 4 channels for vocals/instruments (no latency), tons of effects and EQ, all in an 18 pound box that has a battery that lasts over 6 hours (depends on volume).  For $600 it’s a fantastic speaker, have waited my whole jamming life for something like this!  

Another large one is the Klipsch KMC3, though you’d have to buy it used.  Can run off of D cells if needed, and has a lot of bass for a boombox sized speaker.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I have two JBL Flip 4s, discontinued. They're up to Flip 6 and I assume there are improvements. Plenty of bass if you don't mind 200 hz.  Has a line in and with the wonky software does either party link (mono feed to both speakers) or stereo link (actual stereo).  ~$100. They're a little heavy for their size--they add considerable weight to a carry-on bag.  I think they're ideally tuned for outdoors.  They sound great on the patio but are fine for non-critical listening around the house.  

5 hours ago, The Real MC said:

For what purpose?

If for playing back pre-recorded music or conference calls, they're fine.

If you want to control a soft synth from a bluetooth controller, the latency is pretty bad.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I’m just looking for some decent audio, with no need for any additional interface features. Limited to just Spotify, iTunes and other internet audio stuff. 

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

This doesn’t ring the bell for best or loudest audio, but no one else on the plane will have one…….

Jake

B8856CD1-D2BD-46DE-AA8F-C7D9D3490E95.jpeg

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Been using a Bose Soundlink Color II. Decent frequency balance, decent bass and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

With its 3.5 AUX IN, the Soundlink is a spot monitor at my church gig. The MODX goes into the PA and the PA wash is enough when I play alone. When I play with our pianist, I'm staring down the barrel of a Petrof and the Bose puts out just enough of me to keep it together.

Hope this helps -- pj