Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP7 se/ MP11se what is the difference?

LX 88

I h aa

I am still shopping around for perhaps a new digital piano. I have been frustrated by the way Yamaha  approaches te lower 2 octaves and am also not wildly impressed with later Roland offerings. I might want to look at the MP7se because of the price point.

I would be interested in hearing from Kawai owners regarding why you have chosen this and what the pros and cons of Kawai are lately.

I have a MP7se. As a piano, it's very nice. Action, with escapement, seems quite realistic and the grand piano samples range from full bodied to shrill and everything in between. The three pedal unit that's available is worth it - It works very nicely and adds a nice bit of realism.

Rhodes sounds are ok, and it does have a good wurlie. Everything else...eh. The organs fall flat - I'm an organ player, so it's not really going to impress me anyway - even though it has a kind of drawbar edit setup. Awful Leslie effect. Other sounds - strings, horns, etc - are just ok. 

The menu/edit/setup architecture is a little unwieldy, as well. Another mention about the action...when I have it set up in my studio I find myself playing just piano on it and enjoying it lots. Very inspiring, sounds and feels great -  I can play it for hours. But, on a gig, where you sometimes have to really dig in, I find that the action bottoms out too soon and my hands start to hurt after a while. It's also heavy... 50 lbs. Which is a big reason I don't gig with it very often. I have schlepped it to sessions, and it's been really nice for piano in that setting. Sometimes better than the acoustic pianos - and some really nice ones -  that were in the studios.

Bottom line... it's a nice piano, but just about everything else...not so much. 

I haven't played a MP11. The action is different and supposed to be the same wooden action from Kawai's grand pianos. Also it weighs a lot more. Other than that, I really can't or shouldn't comment on it. 

As far as price point...Newer digital pianos have come along since I bought it - CP's & YC's, PC's and others. I haven't played any of those, but I kinda think I might have found myself shelling out the extra $$ if they had been available. 

JMHO...YMMV

AFAIR,- smaller sound palette in MP11se because it´s focus is PIANO,- hence higher quality action for the pianist.

MP7se,- larger sound palette, different action (but not bad at all), focus is "allrounder", less weight = better portability.

IIRC, acoustic pianos in MP7se and MP11se are identical.

A.C.

6 hours ago, Al Coda said:

AFAIR,- smaller sound palette in MP11se because it´s focus is PIANO,- hence higher quality action for the pianist.

MP7se,- larger sound palette, different action (but not bad at all), focus is "allrounder", less weight = better portability.

IIRC, acoustic pianos in MP7se and MP11se are identical.

A.C.

This is a good summary.

The panel interface of the two boards is also different, with the MP7SE adopting the "classic" zones approach, and the MP11SE going for the "sections" route.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

So yeah there is an mp7se near me at a great price. Rhodes could be a factor.... about the only thing I really need besides acoustic. Kawais are known for generally good action. 

Currently I have.... Yamaha CP5.... Roland RD300GX and a Roland FP 10. The FP 10 sample is surprisingly good... very even sounding overall. Excellent low end tones by the way. But I want something with a more serious action and hopefully a step up in the acoustic sample.

I could possibly still sell the CP5. That would get me half the way to something like a Kawai. The RD300GX is still a keeper.... decent piano sample for its age and gorgeous warm sounding Rhodes.

Anyway  am contemplating checking this Kawai.

My Kawai are older generations.  If I didn't need the power of Kronos for the Pop gigs and was still doing solely Piano/ Organ based gigs I would have upgraded to a MP7/se or gone hogwild and spring for a Nord Piano or Stage.  I still love playing my MP8II which is now a home controller.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

22 hours ago, skipeb3 said:

I have a MP7se. As a piano, it's very nice. Action, with escapement, seems quite realistic and the grand piano samples range from full bodied to shrill and everything in between. The three pedal unit that's available is worth it - It works very nicely and adds a nice bit of realism.Rhodes sounds are ok, and it does have a good wurlie.

I've never gotten to audition the MP7 series but have had the MP6 for many years and one of the things that keep me happy with it is that I absolutely love the Rhodes sound. The promise of a better action and better acoustic piano sounds has me leaning towards upping to the MP7 if the 6 ever goes out but the possibility of getting a downgraded Rhodes would make me hesitant. The Wurly on the 6 is great also. The clavs could use an upgrade. I don't know if the 7 takes care of that or not.

• Like 1

Ben, that's just my personal opinion. FWIW I'm not a fan of Rhodes, I much prefer a wurlie. I don't think Kawai has downgraded their Rhodes sounds from the 6 to the 7, they just don't float my boat for whatever reason. By all means, try a MP7se out if you're thinking about getting one.

3 hours ago, skipeb3 said:

Ben, that's just my personal opinion. FWIW I'm not a fan of Rhodes, I much prefer a wurlie. I don't think Kawai has downgraded their Rhodes sounds from the 6 to the 7, they just don't float my boat for whatever reason. By all means, try a MP7se out if you're thinking about getting one.

I had meant to put out that qualification, that everyone will have their own opinions and every right to them, but had hit send before including it. It wasn't meant as a personal attack on you and hope it wasn't construed as such. As far as moving from the 6 to the 7, the 6 is built like the proverbial tank and just keeps plugging along so I'll keep it until it gives up on me, which could be quite a few more years considering its roadworthiness. They'll probably have come out with an MP8 (or 9) by then. 😀 Did they improve the clavs in the 7? Thanks.

Ben, I don't play very much clavl, so I haven't spent any time checking them out on the 7.  And I never took anything as a personal attack. Kind of the opposite... I wouldn't have wanted you to dismiss out of hand a keyboard that you may really like because of what I my thoughts were about  it.