Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clav Sound

I was hoping someone might be so kind as to give me some help getting this Clav sound,… starting at 10:40. I  have no experience with a real Clav and little with VSTs, but I have the Scarbee Clav, Ampl;itube 5, IK Multimedia Clavitube and Arturia Clavinet V.  I didn’t find any presets that’s seemed to work but possibly it is more to do with how to play the sound.

I'm no clav expert but I definitely hear a wah going on there.   Obviously there is some overdrive coming from something, I'm guessing an amp since he has vintage "real gear".  Beyond that I'd punt to the experts.   For another similar example of killer wah clav sound, see the vid below.  He's using a wah whammy bar though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LilyM said:

I was hoping someone might be so kind as to give me some help getting this Clav sound,… starting at 10:40. I  have no experience with a real Clav and little with VSTs, but I have the Scarbee Clav, Ampl;itube 5, IK Multimedia Clavitube and Arturia Clavinet V.  I didn’t find any presets that’s seemed to work but possibly it is more to do with how to play the sound.

A clean / dry Clavinet sounds somewhere between a harpsichord and an acoustic guitar - obviously with a different attack. The examples above are clearly going through a way pedal and a guitar amp.  

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'd try the Scarbee (or clav plugin of choice) running into Amplitube V (guitar amp).   The wah could be in either place I guess.   For me I have used the Logic clav with it's built-in wah into S-gear, which is a guitar amp simulator.  Sounded pretty good to me, except I can't play as good as any of the vids above! :D

• Like 1

This thread reminds me to bring out my expression pedal specifically to use with wah clav patches :D   Especially now that I have the Purgatory Creek clavs on my Modx.   And heck maybe start doing other stuff with it, like maybe assign it to the Modx super knob macro.

57 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

About the 12 minute mark of the Goose video you can see the keys player rhythmically pumping his right leg like he's got a wah underneath it.

I follow Goose ( one of the many jam bands I follow). 100% a wah pedal

Scarbee clav is passable, I own it. Not familiar with Arturia products, don't own any. 

Closest VST to the real thing I have ever used (I still own and play an E7)  is Soniccouiture Clav.  There have been several threads on this in the past if you should care to search.

It has several presets for wah wah, just need to use a Yamaha FC7 or something similar.

• Like 2
:nopity:

6 hours ago, LilyM said:

I was hoping someone might be so kind as to give me some help getting this Clav sound,

Hey Lily -

I just went throught the preset list of IK Multimedia Clavitube. At the very end, there are 4 D6 presets and 5 E7 presets labeled Twin Amp Wah.

This would be samples of a clavinet into a Fender Twin Reverb amp using a wah pedal

Haven't heard them myself but this is probably exactly (if not, almost) what you are looking for, and you already own it. 

Of couse, you will need to use an expression pedal of some type compatable with whichever keyboard controller you are using. 

Hope this helps. 

Adding to the suggestions above, your Arturia clav can also do the job with the suggested distortion/wah pedal combo. Even the Arturia stock effects can get pretty close to that vibe when coupled with the right playing technique. Try "Funk AD" for the basic sound, and make sure the stock Overdrive pedal is switched on. Then replace the Autowah stompbox with their Wah pedal, and set up an expression pedal to modulate it. 

The rest is pedal technique. Try briefly accenting 2 and 4 on the wah pedal to start, and then start mixing up the pedal accents a bit once you're locked into the groove.

• Like 1
B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

just stumbled upon this, wish I had known about it earlier, could have referenced it

Peter discusses the effects pedal chain for his Hohner Clavinet D6 at 7:07 into the video, and yes it's a Cry Baby Wah pedal in the chain

• Like 2

Classic jam band keyboard rig

9 hours ago, Doerfler said:

just stumbled upon this, wish I had known about it earlier, could have referenced it

Peter discusses the effects pedal chain for his Hohner Clavinet D6 at 7:07 into the video, and yes it's a Cry Baby Wah pedal in the chain

6 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Classic jam band keyboard rig

Yes indeed. Would love to find an old issue of a Keyboard Mag (or other keyboard magazine, I don´t remember which one) about jam bands and their keyboard rigs. I remember that a Gov´t Mule roadie refered to Danny Louis´rig as Fort Wakeman, as it was closed with a Hammond+clav in the front and two different wurlies on the side. Dun stuff.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband