Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent B3/Farfisa/EPs, $700 or so used

octa

a friend/bandmate is going on tour and looking for suggestions. He'd like something on the smaller side, 61 or 73 keys probably best. Got any suggestions?

I'm thinking Roland VR-09, Vox Continental 61, or used Nord Electro (this one's more than $700 though I imagine).

Just before reading this post, I sold my Nord Electro 4D 61 for $1150, with Nord soft case, in central California. Good luck.

• Like 1

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

2 hours ago, octa said:

I'm thinking Roland VR-09, Vox Continental 61

VR09 has the better B3; Vox has the better Farfisa and EPs. Vox also has better action, both for EP and for organ. Are used Voxes really going for that little, though?

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think used Electro 3s are going somewhere in this price range.  Its got access to the Nord sample library with fine EPs and a good enough B3 emulation for most things.  Not sure about the Farfisa though. 

• Like 1
Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

• 2 weeks later...

Electro 3 would be great if you can find the right price.  Otherwise, in that price range, for decent sounds and overall utility I’d say either VR09 or Numa Compact 2x.  The latter is 88 but unbelievably lightweight, and its audio interface opens iPad integration possibilities ….

"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

Also, any of these alternatives (used) should work fine for what you want...

- Yamaha: MOXF6 or MOX6

- Korg: Krome or Kross or Triton

- Kurzweil: PC3-61

- Roland: Fantom (orig. series, 61-key)

Many of these are older models, but are probably well within your budget.

For best B3 and Farfisa among the above, Kurzweil is best (also great EPs)

For best EPs, I'd go with Yamaha.

Korg and Roland are really better on synthy sounds, but decent enough on the sounds you want.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

26 minutes ago, synthizen2 said:

Also, any of these alternatives (used) should work fine for what you want...

- Yamaha: MOXF6 or MOX6

- Korg: Krome or Kross or Triton

- Kurzweil: PC3-61

- Roland: Fantom (orig. series, 61-key)

Many of these are older models, but are probably well within your budget.

For best B3 and Farfisa among the above, Kurzweil is best (also great EPs)

For best EPs, I'd go with Yamaha.

Korg and Roland are really better on synthy sounds, but decent enough on the sounds you want.

Not sure the Korgs will have any Farfisa sounds, but they do have Vox sounds.  At least the M3 doesn't have any Farfisa.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

You might get a Electro 3 for that money. Even the Electro 2 will get you adequate B3/Farf and EP. The VR09 EPs aren't a strong suit, Korg Vox Konti are better. 

Out of left-field: a crumar desktop module and a controller? Or an ipad+Galileo+Neo-soul keys+controller?

Cheers, Mike.

A used Electro is the first thing that popped into my head. As others have mentioned, it may fall in the “or so” category (i.e., $$$). Is your friend primarily a keyboard player? If not, he may appreciate the simplicity of the Electro.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I don’t know guys.  I see one 73k Nord  Electro 2 on eBay for just under $700.  Not sure why an “excellent” condition instrument is being offered so aggressively. More typically on eBay sellers want bidding to break $900.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

14 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I don’t know guys.  I see one 73k Nord  Electro 2 on eBay for just under $700.  Not sure why an “excellent” condition instrument is being offered so aggressively. More typically on eBay sellers want bidding to break $900.  

A 73-key Nord **OF ANY KIND** for under $700 is a good deal, if that eBay listing is legit.

• Like 1
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M