Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg PA5X

Its an OASYS with an arranger section built-in. Similar price as well, although it offers excellent modern conveniences that enhance it. However, its missing a vital feature: robot legs that unfold and walk the heavy $#@! thing to the venue. Korg's Triton plug-in is much lighter.

I get the feeling that this thing is as much of a challenge as an entire software-based rig. Its almost either/or if you're going to get the full monty from your money. I'm the kind of synth-hound who thinks "Wow, for $10K, I could build a project studio that was at least a third of a Vangelis-worthy setup." 🤔

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

Out of all the keyboards I've owned, my Korg i3 (2020) is the only one that paid for itself in one gig!

It's fun to play, sounds fine and weighs nothing. I put some strap locks on it in case I ever need a Keytar again 😃
Works great for jam nights, little duo gigs, lightweight top keyboard… 

54 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Its an OASYS with an arranger section built-in.

The OASYS had multiple synth engines: AL-1 virtual analog, STR-1 string physical model, MOD-7 FM-like semi-modular, etc.

PA5X  does not have the OASYS synth engines as far as I can tell.  Its sounds are all sample based, though with articulations achieved by clever sample switching, crossfading, etc. like Yamaha's Super Articulation, Roland's SuperNATURAL, etc.  Like Korg's other romplers, it has resonant filters to get more convincingly synth-like tones.

Benn Jordan nailed it when he said arranger keyboard users live in a parallel world compared to hardcore synth enthusiasts.  Typical arranger user just wants to get their song arrangement playing and entertaining the lounge crowd ASAP - they don't want to go anywhere close to the weeds of synthesis.  Such a user is easily satisfied with a decent selection of sample based instruments.

There are plenty of much more affordable, and easier to carry, options for any arranger-curious muso.  I was mostly entertained by Benn's various reactions to playing with the high-end PA5X - probably would have had just as much fun on the Yamaha SX-900 which costs about half as much, or an SX-600 like mine which is cheaper still.

• Thanks 1