Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gearfest, what happened to you?

My rep told me that celebrities had been running around Sweetwater all week filming for Gearfest. IT slipped up on my and I told him that I might do a stay-cation day and start watching Gearfest at 9:00 AM, the time it usually starts. He never said anything to contradict the start time I mentioned. I thought it was odd that the web site never mentioned a time, just a date range for Friday and Saturday. This morning I got on YouTube, nothing. Got on the Sweetwater site and finally found a spot that said it would start at 3:00 PM. Why could they not put that up yesterday? Now I notice a conflict. Some places say 3:00 PM and others say 10:00 AM. Still, nothing on YouTube but short preview clips. Oh, and their $10,000 giveaway? Links lead nowhere. They tell you to sigh up and you will be notified on how to enter. I sighed up, nothing. 

Is Sweetwater trying to surpass NAMM for worst, most confusing online tradeshow ever?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2 is definately better than day one. I enjoyed watching the guy from JHS Pedals do a blindfolded identification test. They handed him 10 pedals, one at a time, to identify by touch only. He did really well, but he is the quintessential guitar pedal nerd. And I mean that as a compliment.

I like shows.  Multi-threading is both an essential skill and a metaphor for a good tradeshow.

You know, choosing where to be when. I need more of that.  So you can say, yes, I looked in on that or I would like to know more about that. Or even the ubiquitous show greeting - what have you seen? I am not finding enough of those qualities or opportunities in this staging. 

Pro-tip: The links to "Presenters" is in the upper right corner. That wasn't apparent to me.  They aren't linked to content at this point. I don't understand the flow of all this.

It felt rushed and reorganized at the last minute. I wonder if it was, seeing that they did not even announce the time for it to start until Friday, and even then they posted conflicting times. They seem to be putting a lot into the efforts of the YouTube content providers that they invited to attend and tour the booths. It will be a few days before we see that content. I don't expect much from it as you don't get a balanced review when the manufacturer rep in is the video.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I had an email about Gearfest but I did not check the specifics. We recently returned home from a 19 day, 4500+ mile motorcycle ride through 13 states and the majority of on-line activity was on hold during that time. I do believe it stated that the event was virtual again this year, that is much less appealing or compelling for me.

I've attended a couple of times in the past, rode the bike over both times. It was a nice day ride back then but now I'm much further away in NV so it's less likely that I'll attend in the future if, or when, it returns to being a live event.

I think they made a mistake by not organizing the YouTube content providers so that they have a consistent byline in their video titles. I've seen very few Gearfest 2022 show up on the various channels and most do not have "Sweetwater Gearfest 2022" in the title. They are titled things like "No honey, it was not fun. It was hard."

And now, what is this UK Gearfest?