Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New POD-XT firmware 2.0 available

I've been lurking at the Line6 site and it appears that there is new firmware - free - (4 new amp models, post eq, better compressor, better overall sound) and software packs - $49 each, 3 for $99(2 amp model packs and 1 effects pack).

Sounds like the kids are pretty happy over there.

I'll have to see what other vendors announce at NAMM, but I might have to take the plunge - that POD XT sure sounds tempting for recording and live applications.

Pete

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me briefly add that the Line6 Monkey update manager software is awesome. It even lets you save your old patches and revert to older firmware.

This is important because even the existing amp models have changed. It fairly dramatic. Things just sound smoother.

And the model packs? According to Line6, if you get them all, you have every effect and amp model of the Vetta II. That kicks ass.

"For instance" is not proof.

Here are some links for you POD-XT owners or those thinking about getting into one:

Software Download Page

New Features: Scroll down to "New for Version 2"

Information about Model Packs

The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT on the POD forum - check out other stuff here for opinions/samples (You may have to register for the forums)

Pete

The upgrade is pretty nice - a definite upgrade to the sound of the XT. The sounds sit better in a track, and seem to respond to post processing (EQ/Comp) much better.

I did spring for the Model Packs. The Metal Shop amps live up to their name. Personally, I'll be getting more use out of the Collector Classics. In particular, I really like the Fender Vibroverb model as it may be the first model that (for me) does the verge of breakup Fender grind thing well.

The FX pack is dominated with the Synth FXs and the more gimmicky special effects from Vetta, and, although entertaining, I don't think that they'll get used much. Still, you get the 3 model packs for the price of 2, so I'm not complaining.

js

I just got the model packs. Well worth the C-note.

I'm stunned, though, at the improvement in the first 4 factory patches (without the models). They are distinctly different. It feels like the cotton's been removed from my ears. And the new EQ and compressor are really musical.

Originally posted by Sunny.:

Hmmm, you guys have me interested.

I still haven't fully gotten over how disappointed I am in the original POD, but maybe I need to give the XT a shot.

You should Sunny - you can check mine out for a while if you come down to the BBQ. It's really a different sounding box from the first one.

I found the update and Model Packs info on the Line 6 site... and last night I downloaded and installed the Line 6 Monkey (automatic updating software), unplugged my Pod XT and brought it from the studio to the house so I could do the updates... but I can't find a USB cable anywhere around here - and I KNOW I had at least two unused ones sitting around somewhere. :mad:

Looks like it's going to have to wait until later today when I can spend some time locating a USB cable or can go buy another one - which I'll probably also lose. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to hearing 2.0 - thanks for the links folks. :wave:

The update is a vast improvement! I was one of the beta testers and have been using it for a month now.

One thing to remember is that any old patches prior to 2.0 that you have, will sound real mucky after the update. They all need to be retweaked. I was lucky to get 7 of my patches as factory defaults in the new packs.

If any of you hate to tweak and want to get up running asap with patches, feel free to email me and I'll send you my batch of patches in a PC Zip file. Remember though that many patches require you have the additional model packs to use them, other wise a non model pack amp or effect will be substituted (giving an un-intended tone).

My email: az@instituteofnoise.com

Home of the L.A. Line 6 Users Group

http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Cool Phil, if I make it down I would definitely be interested in taking you up on that kind offer. BTW, if I can call you Betty you can cal me Sal :D

Since I already have a red kidney bean I think I would go for the rack version, but that's like $700 plus $300 for a new foot pedal. That's a lot of dough.

I would sell the POD 2.0 I have but the battery is dead and it is soldered to the board. GRRRRR :mad:

I have not compared to the VOX.

I wonder if $299 is for a 2.0 version? It would seem to me that they may be "blowing out" the older versions at that price.

GY

Originally posted by GY:

I have not compared to the VOX.

I wonder if $299 is for a 2.0 version? It would seem to me that they may be "blowing out" the older versions at that price.

They are for the non 2.0. The 2.0 upgrade is free, but additional model packs, if you get all three at once, is another 100.00. Still, that's how much the PodXT was going for last week.

Ofcourse when I want to download the update I get this:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /podxt/.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Btw why is that line6 "shortboard" footcontroller so bloody expensive? It just sends out some MIDI signals for gods sake, isn't 325 euros a bit overpriced for a simple midi box? *cough* ripoff *cough*

Also, I don't wanna pay for those new sound packs, I feel I am entitled to use them without spending the extra money because I bought the PODxt and deserve some customer care. Afterall setting up your PODxt to suit your musical style is only logical. Otherwise I might as well had bought a couple of stompboxes. Anyone else feeling this way?

Stirring shit up since 1968

Originally posted by bassix:

Proxy Error

Many many people have upgraded successfully without any issue. Have you attempted to ask about this in the Line6 forums? Or are you just complaining here? Have you never had a glitch on a website's CGI before? Sorry if I sound a bit negative, but your little "of course" remark, in my opinion, is unwarranted.

Btw why is that line6 "shortboard" footcontroller so bloody expensive? It just sends out some MIDI signals for gods sake, isn't 325 euros a bit overpriced for a simple midi box? *cough* ripoff *cough*
Well, it's about $220 US here, making it about 50 dollars more than a MIDI program change box, an expression pedal, and a merge box. Then again, those separate pieces do not have a proprietary display and a metal chassis. It's expensive, I agree, but you can do it the other way if you don't want to spend the money. No one is forcing you to go with the shortboard.

Also, I don't wanna pay for those new sound packs, I feel I am entitled to use them without spending the extra money because I bought the PODxt and deserve some customer care.

Unlike my problem with the absence of the bass pod xt (which was promised), these packs are a total extra. The free update adds a few extra amps. There is nothing that is deprived of you than was originally promised when you bought it.

Otherwise I might as well had bought a couple of stompboxes. Anyone else feeling this way?
Well, if you feel that buying a few stompboxes for $400 would have gotten you the same functionality as the Pod XT without the Model packs, then you indeed made the wrong choice.

Look, I have a bunch of problems with Line6...you can see my bitching about it on the Line6 forums, but these model packs bring the Pod XT to the same feature set as the Vetta II in terms of models and effects. That's worth an additional $100 in my opinion

If you buy the amp model packs, does the PodXT hold all of them at the same time, or do you have to just pick the ones you will use?

What I mean; is there a memory/space limitation that would stop you from having access to all of the models at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by InstituteOfNoise:

One thing to remember is that any old patches prior to 2.0 that you have, will sound real mucky after the update. They all need to be retweaked.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I don't know if I want to bother going to 2.0 if this is the case. I have some patches I've programmed that I like quite a bit... and I wouldn't want to screw them up... nor do I have the time available to try to redo them all from scratch before I'll be needing them again.

I'm actually disappointed about this - I would expect any patches - including self-programmed ones - to usually sound better after an upgrade, not worse. :(

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Originally posted by InstituteOfNoise:

One thing to remember is that any old patches prior to 2.0 that you have, will sound real mucky after the update. They all need to be retweaked.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I don't know if I want to bother going to 2.0 if this is the case. I have some patches I've programmed that I like quite a bit... and I wouldn't want to screw them up... nor do I have the time available to try to redo them all from scratch before I'll be needing them again.

I'm actually disappointed about this - I would expect any patches - including self-programmed ones - to usually sound better after an upgrade, not worse. :(

Phil, the monkey lets you backtrack quite easily to previous firmware and patches. The reason why older ones sound mucky is because of the better modeling...you don't need to compensate as much with EQ, so everything sounds a little brighter.

Originally posted by Jotown:

If you buy the amp model packs, does the PodXT hold all of them at the same time, or do you have to just pick the ones you will use?

What I mean; is there a memory/space limitation that would stop you from having access to all of the models at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

The update added memory slots. It will hold everything. That was also my main concern.

Zeronyne, what are your issues with the POD, or what is your username at the POD forum?

I'm tempted to jump on with the price drop, but I just found out about the Tonelab and it looks like it could be way better, since it uses a real tube. Got to check one out soon.

Originally posted by bassix:

Proxy Error

(snip)

Bassix, I tried to do the update download last evening and saw exactly the same issues as you did above - you are not alone. I would guess that one or more of their servers went down over the weekend and they have yet to fix/reboot it. Let's give them a few days and then try again.

Please post back here if you get it working.

Thanks,

:DTR

Archived