Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a bit of help on a reface YC project.

So I already use and very much enjoy a reface cp which i use primarily as a midi controlled piano module. Having now found a reface YC main cpu board for sale and also discovering that the reface CP main cpu Board is nearly identical to the reface YC main cpu board I am about to embark upon a project to add the reface YC main board into the Reface CP with the idea being to have both YC and CP in one midi controlled reface CP shell. (my thinking is that very little modification to the shell will be needed. especially if I don't need to add any manual controls for the YC )

So the quick question is...does anyone here know what functions on the reface YC are NOT addressable over MIDI?  and while here about the reface YC does anybody know if the recent big YC leslie update might also apply to the reface YC?

Many thanks in advance!

Q: does anybody know if the recent big YC leslie update might also apply to the reface YC?

A: Definitely not. Two different instruments. You cannot update a different instrument with another's update.  It will not ever work.

The reface yc main board arrived today
there is an indication that it’s a damaged board so

i think that I’m in for it on this one!

Deepest of troubles attempting board level troubleshooting and repairs await me for sure. I’ve seen grains of rice that are larger than many of the components on this board. And I don’t have a flow table. Wish me luck!

Although i cant help you on information out of interest how big is the main board on these.

I had always thought about installing YC slider section with main board into another keyboard and midi it up to access fullsize keys as well as  the existing boards sounds or even building a shell to utilize frankenstein parts. 

I think the YC reface is a good sounding small organ module that could be a basis for keyboard modding. 

Id seen someone mount a CP in a custom built vintage looking cabinet with full-size keys. That was ages ago too but although i look for Reface mods often apart from that one i havent found much

Yours is different again as you are not worried about using the sliders or are the sliders part of the mainboard?

Ironically finding a used reface YC where I am is difficult.

There are only two boards inside every reface keyboard. The reface YC sliders/drawbars are on the “other” interface board mounted inside the top half of the keyboard. The main board mounts inside the bottom half of the shell. They’re  both tiny boards with the main board being only a little larger than the interface. Lastly the cp main board is almost identical to the yc main board in every way. Tons of room inside. A crazy serious modder could probably easily squeeze all four models into one single shell.

Hi --

I never want to rain on anybody's parade as far as mods are concerned, but I think you're too optimistic about the amount of available space within a Reface CP or YC. If anyone is interested, I recommend the Reface YC teardown by Markus:

As to the electronic design, CP and YC are brother and sister, and CS and DX are brother and sister:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/inside-reface-yc-and-cp/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/inside-reface-dx-and-cs/

The CP/YC are sample-based and the CS/DX are modeling-based. The choice of main processor reflects the difference (SWX08 and SSP2, respectively).

Instead of going down the mod route, I'm using an Arturia Keylab Essential 49 to control Reface YC. The YC MIDI messages are described in the Reface Data List PDF (available for download from the Yamaha site). I can control all the front panel stuff using MIDI CC#. The esoteric stuff like transpose needs SysEx.

Even if the YC mainboard could be shoe-horned into a CP case (I'm skeptical), the CP front panel controls wouldn't give a very good real-time organ experience -- even if the CP could be teased into sending the appropriate MIDI CC#.

I'm pretty satisfied with the weight, cost and functionality of the Keylab Essential. Yeah, it would be great to have everything all-in-one case, but the whole thing is still lighter than a MODX.

Hope I haven't been too discouraging -- pj

• Love 1

6 hours ago, pjd said:

Thanks pjd this was the video i saw years ago that showed me the YC could be modulised or put into another keyboard. But i hadnt seen the CPs gizzards.

Zukskywalker thanks for your reply id forgot id already seen at least the YCs gizzards already in that video but you put both into context. I look forward to your project if you decide to continue.

I see modulising or frankeinsteining as doable for my project but alas Refaces are so respected and hold a high value they are still valued much too highly to bastardise.

I cant bring myself to mod something worth money or in nice condition. Plus here i hardly see many for sale anyway. If i could find a rough one then perfect.

If that doesnt materialise Perhaps ill wait till yamaha realises theres a big market for these in a fullsize cheap keyboard but im guessing they hadnt done that as it would eat into there larger keyboard sales ie YC61. Many people have requested such a cheaper machine.

Ironically ive finally seen some cheap used Roland VR09s coming up (although no where near local for me) so perhaps ill not need to build my own reface version as the VR09 would serve my purpose.  Though in Rolands misguided way the side mount pitch wheel makes it far bigger than needed but it is light weight.

Id only mod if the donor for modding is cheap and my need if that modded keyboard was still there as cheaper used alternatives may defeat that need to mod.

Even a cheap used Numa Cocal 2x could deter me from the reface mod as it would also fullfil the YCs and Cps uses although i gotta admitit that its  the YCs sound that is so appealing. Which ever way used instruments are tricky to find in my part of the woods.

I had not even thought about this mod until I took the bait which was a reface yc board for sale for less than fifty bucks. I just couldn’t resist. My reface CP warranty will probably get voided today. Weee!🤠(I’ve been inside a few yammi boards before but this level of miniaturization is a bit beyond.)