Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Todd Rundgren, Adrian Belew & an A-list band prepare for David Bowie Tribute Tour

This should be a really good concert tour, with a real powerhouse band and three great guitarists onstage at once:

Todd Rundgren Unites With King Crimson’s Adrian Belew For David Bowie Tribute Tour

“One of the things we’re doing differently on this tour is featuring a three-guitar attack,” Scrote [Angelo Bundini] tells Rolling Stone. “David has always been famous for his spectacular guitarists – the epic solos of Mick Ronson, the bluesy feel of Earl Slick, the funkiness of Carlos Alomar and Nile Rodgers, the bombast of Reeves Gabrels, and the otherworldly guitar of Adrian Belew who is still one of the most original guitarists working today. To explore all of these guitar sides of Bowie’s songs, we’re highlighting Adrian’s brilliance, Todd’s guitar wizardry, and whatever guitar mayhem I can muster in between.”

• Like 5

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Local gig to me is Annapolis, MD (1 hour drive each way) . October 31st. Halloween, a Monday night, tickets not inexpensive (US $120 before taxes and fees) and also not my favorite venue. Would really like to see this show, probably going to pass. 

• Sad 2
:nopity:

Hmmm...  straight from California to Minnesota. No stops in Seattle or Vancouver BC, alas. 

I guess I'll just have to watch the videos. 

I was lucky to see Bowie on tour, Fresno is in-between Los Angeles and San Francisco and lots of major artists made a stop there. 

Now I'm in between Seattle and Vancouver but Bellingham is much smaller than Fresno. We do get some great acts here but not this one. 😐

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Hmmm...  straight from California to Minnesota. No stops in Seattle or Vancouver BC, alas. 

I guess I'll just have to watch the videos. 

I was lucky to see Bowie on tour, Fresno is in-between Los Angeles and San Francisco and lots of major artists made a stop there. 

Now I'm in between Seattle and Vancouver but Bellingham is much smaller than Fresno. We do get some great acts here but not this one. 😐

We're in-between Australia and Los Angeles and no-one stops here, well maybe to refuel. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Jennifer S.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Who is the lead singer for this project? 

I believe that'd be Royston Langdon, lead singer from neo Glam Rock group Space Hog. This guy:

Live on Letterman:

1 hour ago, hurricane hugo said:

My nearest option is Buffalo...probably just go to see Adrian when he's here in July.

Buffalo's also the nearest option for Elizabeth/"Caevs Grrrl" and I, about three and a half hours or so from where we live, driving one-way. That would also depend on being able to afford getting tickets in time, as well...

9 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I believe that'd be Royston Langdon, lead singer from neo Glam Rock group Space Hog. This guy:

That telephone loop is a very direct ripoff of Penguin Cafe Orchestra's "Telephone & Rubber Band". 

• Like 1
Scott Fraser

57 minutes ago, Scott Fraser said:

That telephone loop is a very direct ripoff of Penguin Cafe Orchestra's "Telephone & Rubber Band". 

And so it is! On the one hand, I did think it sounded familiar- and for good reason, it turns out, that segment has been sampled and copied A LOT- but I did not know that piece, nor Penguin Cafe Orchestra. Thanks for introducing me to PCO, Scott!

Furthermore, looking that up:

Wikipedia: "The 1996 single "In The Meantime" by New York City-based English rockers Spacehog featured a tweaked and fine-tuned sample of "Telephone and Rubber Band".

By "tweaked and fine-tuned", I'm sure they meant 'changed the key', and possibly more...

And even furthermore:

Wikipedia: 

Telephone and Rubber Band [edit]

The Penguin Cafe Orchestra's most famous piece may be "Telephone and Rubber Band", which is based around a tape loop of a UK telephone ring tone intersected with an engaged tone, accompanied by the twanging of a rubber band. It is featured on the soundtracks of Nadia Tass's film comedy Malcolm (1986) and Oliver Stone's film Talk Radio (1988), and in a long-running advertising campaign for the telecoms company One2One (now T-Mobile). The 1996 single "In The Meantime" by New York City-based English rockers Spacehog featured a tweaked and fine-tuned sample of "Telephone and Rubber Band". It was also the trademark song of Caloi en su tinta, an Argentinean TV show about artistic animation. The tape loop was recorded when Jeffes was making a phone call and discovered he was hearing a combination of a ring tone and an engaged signal due to a fault in the system. He recorded it on an answering machine.

"Telephone and Rubber Band" was used in the final sequence and at the start of the closing credits of Talk Radio (1988), directed by Oliver Stone.

This American Life, a popular show on public radio in the United States, has often used the band's "Perpetuum Mobile" to accompany its stories, and news programs on National Public Radio have at times used the ringtone from "Telephone and Rubber Band" as bumper music between pieces.

9 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Thanks for introducing me to PCO, Scott!

Wonderful band, short-lived, very much a 'hand made' approach to music. Amateur in the original & best sense of the word. At the intersection of contemporary classical, minimalism, folk, world, pop, experimental & ambient genres in the 80s. Hugely influential upon my musical evolution. If I could have been in any band (outside of Pink Floyd) it would have been Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

I sorta liked Spacehog's tune, though I thought the use of the sample was hamfisted, unartful, & way too obvious of something pretty iconic.

• Like 1
Scott Fraser

was watching a 42 year old Talking Heads concert on YouTube last evening, Adrian Belew in the band. It was after playing with David Bowie and before playing with King Crimson.

Making me want to travel on a Monday night to see a show, the dude is amazing. I already knew that, just had it confirmed, again.

I've seen Todd twice, he alone is worth the price of admission should I choose to cough up the money for the ticket. 

Really wish it wasn't a Monday night, but after seeing other posts about the tour not playing anywhere near them, I should let that go. 

• Like 2
:nopity:

4 hours ago, Doerfler said:

was watching a 42 year old Talking Heads concert on YouTube last evening, Adrian Belew in the band. It was after playing with David Bowie and before playing with King Crimson.

Making me want to travel on a Monday night to see a show, the dude is amazing. I already knew that, just had it confirmed, again.

I've seen Todd twice, he alone is worth the price of admission should I choose to cough up the money for the ticket. 

Really wish it wasn't a Monday night, but after seeing other posts about the tour not playing anywhere near them, I should let that go. 

Adrian Belew was fantastic with Bowie, I saw the Low tour and it stands tall as one of best shows I've seen, ever. 

The last I checked, the tribute tour is playing in Los Angeles, I think that's the closest they will be to Bellingham WA. Only about 1,300 miles as the crow flies. 

The ticket to the show is relatively cheap compared to the round trip flight and transportation to and from the concert. Add in the time spent traveling and it's just a hard no for me at this time. 

Go see it, you've had worse Tuesdays!!! You'll still be buzzing from the music high well into Thursday. 😁

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Adrian Belew was fantastic with Bowie, I saw the Low tour and it stands tall as one of best shows I've seen, ever. 

The last I checked, the tribute tour is playing in Los Angeles, I think that's the closest they will be to Bellingham WA. Only about 1,300 miles as the crow flies. 

The ticket to the show is relatively cheap compared to the round trip flight and transportation to and from the concert. Add in the time spent traveling and it's just a hard no for me at this time. 

Go see it, you've had worse Tuesdays!!! You'll still be buzzing from the music high well into Thursday. 😁

I believe I saw the Low tour as well, most memorable to me because David played the Chamberlin for "Warszawa." Running a very close second: Roger Powell on keys. I feel a bit uncertain, because surely I would have remembered Adrian. He's always astounded me, being not only Super-Good, but Super-Guitar-Synth-Good, too. Eh, write it off to 40+ years of concerts and numerous dubious burritos. That was my high school band, The Dubious Burritos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

33 minutes ago, David Emm said:

I believe I saw the Low tour as well, most memorable to me because David played the Chamberlin for "Warszawa." Running a very close second: Roger Powell on keys. I feel a bit uncertain, because surely I would have remembered Adrian. He's always astounded me, being not only Super-Good, but Super-Guitar-Synth-Good, too. Eh, write it off to 40+ years of concerts and numerous dubious burritos. That was my high school band, The Dubious Burritos.

Maybe you took the brown acid? 😇

I was in Las Vegas On Mars, a Fresno band that never played live anywhere except at Dr. Bob's (my dentist and cohort) home. We got a cut placed on a Moby Grape tribute album called Mo' Grape, I have the cassette around somewhere. There was an online review, they simply said "And Las Vegas On Mars must have taken the brown acid."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Maybe you took the brown acid? 😇

No, no, it was all kinds of... colours... some I ain't seen beforre...

• Haha 1