Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3rd Wave by developer Groove Synthesis

B38412D7-5BD5-4C1F-904E-9605D5A20E60.jpeg.9fa912fcb8d15ca671008d9d90691952.jpeg

“According to the picture and developer info at Gearspace it will be a 4x multi-timbral 24-voice wavetable Synthesizer with 3 wavetable oscillators, 2 analog filters (SVF morph & ladder lowpass), 4 LFOs, 4 envelopes, 2 FXs, and a sequencer.” 

“On the Instagram page of the sound designer and voicing expert Kurt Kurasaki, a video of a new very PPG-like Synthesizer has popped up. It doesn’t appear to be a PPG clone/replica, nor the previewed Behringer version. 3rd Wave comes from the new company Groove Synthesis from the founder Geoff Farr.” - synthanatomy 

Sound teaser… 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cd3VfgggMkC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Getting J3PO to demo their new synth, this new company means business. 😁

Again, it's great to see newer companies like ASM, UDO, Modal Electronics, etc., offering original synths. 

I look forward to laying hands on it and I hope Groove Synthesis does well with the 3rd Wave.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Again, it's great to see newer companies like ASM, UDO, Modal Electronics, etc., offering original synths. 

I look forward to laying hands on it and I hope Groove Synthesis does well with the 3rd Wave.😎

It HAS to come in below Waldorf’s price points for Quantum, Iridium and M. Maybe not, but I can dream.  (The Blofeld with keys is twice as expensive as the desktop, btw). 

Granted, Behringer’s PPG knockoff is going to be under $600.  But how he’s able to do that… 

Below that as VST/AU there’s Waldorf Nave and PPG 3.V for $179.99 if you already have a computer and knobby controller.  :)

I know it has a good basic sound and with 4 zones, it has both live and sequencing appeal. However, my main interest hovers around the audio-input-to-wavetable feature.

The sampling time, however they approach it and the rate thereof are what I'm keen on learning. If it can come semi-close with an acoustic piano as the source, everything downstream will be pretty easily managed. Not to auto-say "How's the piano," but translating that complex a sound well is a sort of gold standard that says less intensive sounds will be a breeze. Synths, flutes and Mellotron strings, not a problem.

Its probably NOT a budget synth, but in a world of $8k Moog Ones and $5k OB-8s, if its a mere $3k, you'll probably see it on top of some Nord pianos. That'll be a neon eye popper effect for stage rigs. :ohmy:

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Same here, not sure Guitar Center or Sam Ash will ever have one (the understatement of the century) but good to see this kind of thing!

You mentioned ASM, and the more I watch and hear about the Hydrasynth the more impressed I become.  They really thought outside the normal boxes and the end result is amazing.

5 minutes ago, Stokely said:

You mentioned ASM, and the more I watch and hear about the Hydrasynth the more impressed I become.  They really thought outside the normal boxes and the end result is amazing.

As a Hydrasynth owner,  I certainly do not miss any of my former synths. 

IMO, these newer boxes are very capable of producing musically useful sounds and to varying degrees, a reasonable facsimile of vintage sounds. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

A lot more info coming out. Pricey at $3795. 

Yikes. They won't be selling too many at that price. 🤣😎

PD

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Yikes. They won't be selling too many at that price. 🤣😎

Sounds great though, I’m still interested to see how it functions and what it’s all capable of.  Also thrilled to see such an effort coming out of CA.  

18 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Sounds great though, I’m still interested to see how it functions and what it’s all capable of.  Also thrilled to see such an effort coming out of CA.  

Same here.  I'll definitely check it out whenever available.  I just doubt that it will impress me to reach for my wallet.😁😎

PD

• 9 months later...
On 6/3/2022 at 9:10 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

A lot more info coming out. Pricey at $3795.  

MAP is now US $4995, and they are out of stock, taking pre orders for "next batch". Must be doing something right.

US distribution coming soon, supposedly April 01 at the big store in Indiana, don't know where else, if there is going to be anywhere else

• Like 2
:nopity:

5 hours ago, CyberGene said:

$5k for a wavetable 🤣 Well, OK, real filters but who cares, it’s still a wavetable. I guess since it’s made in California adds $4000 on top of the real price. 

Actual PPG Wave 2 - $19,000

Prophet X - $3,499 

Nord Wave 2 - $2,899

Behringer BBG - $899? 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I played one at Sweetwater recently. It sounds great but I’ll stick with my Quantum for wavetable stuff. 

Brotha Jim, the real question is did you get any PolyBrute type goosebumps while playing the 3rd Wave.😁😎 

PD

23 hours ago, ProfD said:

Brotha Jim, the real question is did you get any PolyBrute type goosebumps while playing the 3rd Wave.😁😎 

I can’t say that I did. The PolyBrute instantly connected with me. I started playing it and had that rare experience where I instantly knew I needed to have one.

I had read and heard so many great things about the 3rd Wave that I was really excited to play it. And yes, it sounds lovely and I dig the aesthetics. But it didn’t make me want to replace the Quantum for the wavetable sound.

It’s nice they are making a desktop though. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

The PolyBrute instantly connected with me. I started playing it and had that rare experience where I instantly knew I needed to have one.

Understood.

Having laid hands on the PolyBrute, it's definitely a player's synth.

The instant gratification programming the PolyBrute from the front panel is already there.

I can imagine going deeper into the matrix and adding that Morphee pad to the mix would open up very cool textures sonically and performance-wise.

The Prophet 6 I had was nice. The PolyBrute is next level. I was tempted to cop one. Enjoy it mayne. 😎

PD