Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Expected to bump V Collection to 9

Version 9 of Arturia’s synth emulations:

4 new instruments (Korg MS-20 V, SQ80 V, Augmented STRINGS, and Augmented VOICES)

fully rebuilt versions of already available ones (CS-80 V, Prophet-5 V, Prophet-VS V, Piano V)

14 new sound banks with thousands of new presets

performance & workflow enhancements 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Dang I need more plugins like another hole in the head.  I have so many synth plugins I've barely even tried some of them.  Must resist the inevitable half-off sales for this.

The rebuilding of those mentioned is really interesting to me I have to say.  I wonder if it will be a complete do-over or just graphical?

I have pretty much they've ever made. Honestly there's a lot of it I NEVER use but there's a couple that I use VERY frequently and really need. Truth is it's very inexpensive for what you get. So regardless, I'll probably pay for the upgrade. I'm excited to hear it.

Any idea of when?

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I thought there was a planned Arturia "event" tomorrow? So there you go.

I'm in. Their improvements really have been improvements. (Maybe the Wurli will be reworked at some point? VCollection 10?)

I applaud Arturia's commitment to evoking the founding and forerunning synths, while still offering Pigments and the Augmented series as their own thing.

👍

• Like 1
I make software noises.

3 hours ago, johnchop said:

I'm in. Their improvements really have been improvements.

I applaud Arturia's commitment to evoking the founding and forerunning synths, while still offering Pigments and the Augmented series as their own thing.

👍

I concur. I upgraded to 8 as soon as it arrived  They just keep tweaking enough stuff to make them better.  Love it!

• Like 3

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I haven’t bit yet.  But I have to say Woody’s piano shack demonstrated the FM synth is very good sounding.  And I used to bitch about their simulations sounding too similar synth to synth.  But I like the sound of the Matrix 12 and the ARP2600.  Both quite good.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I grabbed the entire V collection 8 for half the regular price during the last Black Friday and they then offered me Pigments for only €50. It’s a tremendous value! Except for the modeled piano and the modeled Rhodes that sound like crap, everything else is ridiculously good! Pigments alone is a universe in itself. Just today I watched in another thread a comparison between the new Juno-X and the System 8 and I opened the Arturia’s Juno emulation and had great fun! Every synth emulation is an absolute winner!

I actually find the piano and Rhodes to be more than serviceable, but hey, it's a big enough place for both opinions :)

IMO the Wurli needs refresh, and the B3 still feels like an also-ran in a crowded field. There's always V10.

• Like 1
I make software noises.

I'm a bit torn on this one.  I've already got the SQ-80 V, and an MS-20 Mini, the other two instruments aren't really grabbing my attention.  On the other hand, I'm really interested in the rebuilds.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

1 hour ago, johnchop said:

I actually find the piano and Rhodes to be more than serviceable, but hey, it's a big enough place for both opinions :)

True that. Well, as a matter of fact both will certainly work in a mix, let alone for live situations. And the Rhodes isn't as bas as I made it sound. It's just that I'm very obsessed with acoustic piano sound and solo piano recordings with good sampled pianos such as Garritan CFX and the Arturia is very dull in comparison. Besides, I'm not a big fan of modeled pianos either... But the V-collection, especially when discounted is absolute value, so when you consider how many really usable (and some even awesome!) instruments you get for €200, moaning about the piano sound is silly, I admit :)

• Like 1

I upgraded to 8 when they were offering it for super cheap, but honestly I don’t use hardly any of it. My favorite synth that they make is not an emulation; Pigments is killer and one of the best soft-synths on the market. Highly recommended and a far better use of one’s money than the V Collection, imo.

The updated Prophet 5 is wonderful. 

The new Voice Dispersion feature alone ups the game.   It’s a bit like those knobs on the new Rolands where you can dial in the retro feeling. 
Arturia adds some more controls to it and it really makes the VST analog sounding 

I decided I didn’t need the entire V9 so I just bought the Prophet upgrade for $50, as that’s my main go to in Arturia world. 

• Like 2

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

24 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

It's just that I'm very obsessed with acoustic piano sound and solo piano recordings with good sampled pianos such as Garritan CFX and the Arturia is very dull in comparison. Besides, I'm not a big fan of modeled pianos either... 

Oh totally understood. I perceive less tonal depth and less "woody" resonance in the modeled VIs.

Rhodes is a whole different category. I think if it's vibey, with enough control over tine and bark, I'm good. :)

I've thought a bit more about the "emulation" aspect of the package, at least where synths are concerned. They're giving you this toybox of synthesis models that are reminiscent of things no one will ever really touch anymore, let alone possess. That's... fun? But it could all just be marketing cleverness: create products that package existing modules into a skeuomorphic UI (cf: Cherry Audio).

I should go back into Pigments and see if there are "Juno" or "SEM" templates that can replicate the sound of dedicated VIs. Maybe there is extra mojo in the instrument-specific VIs, e.g. envelope curves?

-John

I make software noises.

39 minutes ago, EscapeRocks said:

I decided I didn’t need the entire V9

Well, when they offered something like a "Synth Collection",- w/o APs, EPs, vintage samplers and organs. I´d be in.

I´d also be interested in the Emulator II V when it allows not only "loading your own samples" but also import of original multisampled EII (E2) files.

☺️

A.C.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, johnchop said:

(cf: Cherry Audio)

I like the CA synths I bought and they sound good to my ears.

IMO they are serious competitors to Arturia,- not only because they are cheaper.

Also a $40.- Memorymoon ME80 is a serious competitor to Arturia´s CS80V.

It doesn´t have to be expensive always to be on par w/ other´s higher priced products.

☺️

A.C.

• Like 2

Well, wouldn't you know they would drop this just a few months after I finally pulled the trigger on upgrading to version 8. 🤪

The new synths in version 9 aren't so interesting to me, but the improvements to the CS80 and Prophet 5 are intriguing. The ones I use most often now are the virtual Oberheims and the CS80, although the updated Jupiter and Rhodes models are an impressive improvement. And that's if I don't go to Pigments first, which is an absolutely amazing synth. I keep that one up to the minute updated! 😎 Might have to see if they have any upgrade specials for long time customers...😉

• Like 1

><>

Steve

I mostly love Arturia, they've been very generous with freebies, and I've been with them since version 1.  But the upgrade path thing has burned me twice now.  Like Bucktunes, I just upgraded to 8 from 7  less than two months ago. Unlike many other software companies they don't offer a real incentive for just having upgraded within even a short period. I get that there are new synths,and improvements,  but really?  I'm starting to have the same issue with Korg. I've bought the legacy collection at least 3 times now. 

Gripes aside- Love  the: Solina, OB Sem and Matrix 12 , the FM,  the Mini- and believe it or not, the Cz101.    I've warmed up to the Juno and Emulator (which is why I upgraded to 8).   I  think the Gforce MTron is superior  for Mellotron.  I've tried many times to use the Jupiter, but it's never stayed on a track.  I bought the OBXa separate upon release because I really wanted it for Mainstage.  Sounds mostly great (and highly recommend Jp30's presets) but it's a memory hog.    I'm real curious about the Prophet update.  Never gave the Hammond a second listen. 

Recently was fortunate to finally get to play a CS80 in person- have a studio owner friend that has some of more esoteric (i.e. Expensive) stuff.   I get the mystique, but like the Oberheim sound, it can kinda take over a track.  It's great that Arturia adds those shortcut controls for timbre, time etc, because programming that thing is not what I call fun.  The plug is as far as my desire would ever go, and I rarely use it.

BTW : The Cherry Audio Dream synth is a steal, and absolute no brainer.   Like our Brit friends say, we're absolutely spoiled for choice.

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

4 hours ago, obxa said:

8 from 7  less than two months ago. Unlike many other software companies they don't offer a real incentive for just having upgraded within even a short period. I get that there are new synths,and improvements,  but really?  I'm starting to have the same issue with Korg. I've bought the legacy collection at least 3 times now. 

I upgraded purely for the Korg MS-20 plugin, which makes that old official Korg plugin completely obsolete.
I used to have the analog MS-20 Mini, which I do miss - bastard of a synth to use live, but such a wild instrument.
And bugger me if Arturia haven't managed to nail that snarling tone, it's one of the most impressive fake-analog-sims to date!

The Prophet VS is kinda neat, I had those wavetables in my old DSI Evolver. There's something evocative about that shitty, aliased-on-purpose sound.
The SQ-80 is the other stand out, used it on a track just today just as a simple pad, so much vibe!

Prophet 5 definitely sounds better with that 'detuned on purpose' parameter, never that been that much of a Prophet fan though.

I wanted to like the CS-80, what with Blade Runner being the reason I got in to synthesizers, but having finally gotten it...it's kind of boring? 

• Like 1

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

7 hours ago, obxa said:

I bought the OBXa separate upon release because I really wanted it for Mainstage.  Sounds mostly great but it's a memory hog.

I can confirm that it's a memory/CPU hog, especially compared to some of the others in the collection.  Not sure why they haven't addressed this yet, even with a simple update.  Come to think of it, the Matrix 12 is a bit of a CPU hog as well.  Maybe it's just the Oberheim stuff, not sure.  I'll check out the SEM V when I get some time.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Apologies to go off topic, but if you're looking for a great, cheap, and efficient OBX experience the Disco OB  is great. 

I used it for a while but didn't work with some of the OSX updates, and it was kinda ugly-  they've got that all sorted out now.  

https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/.  there's also the free version:  https://obxd.wordpress.com/.   EDIT: the pro-version is now FREE for non commercial use.   The Arturia arguably responds more like I expect, and if I'm being shallow, looks better, but the disco one is extremely good. 

I routinely have to freeze any tracks using the Arturia Obxa and Matrix,  Haven't had as many issues with their SEM and they've been pretty good about updating that one.  I'd much rather use the real thing, but my Xa can't often make it through an entire bounce/render without issues these days. 

That SQ thing might tempt me to buy it as a single.   Funny how time changes things: I was never fond of the  Ensoniq Sq , and D50  Sample/PCM stuff back in the day,  but now I'm really kinda liking that  lo-fi 12 bit thing they do.    Always loved  Prophet Vs (hardware).    I'm ready to grab the Behringer clone  if it ever comes to market. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:35 PM, Al Coda said:

I like the CA synths I bought and they sound good to my ears.

IMO they are serious competitors to Arturia,- not only because they are cheaper.

Also a $40.- Memorymoon ME80 is a serious competitor to Arturia´s CS80V.

It doesn´t have to be expensive always to be on par w/ other´s higher priced products.

☺️

A.C.

Agreed. The ME80 has plenty of gratifying muscle, with "Alaska" and Boards of Canada to spare. I'm getting good mileage from CA's Memorymode and just took up their Polymode during the Moog sale. I halfway bought it just to have the weird analog pads and check the $5 box for a Bob Moog Foundation donation. As it turns out, its a bit broader than I recalled from fingerprinting one at a music store years ago. The sound is lush and MY keyboard doesn't feel like I'm playing planks. 🤨 

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

1 hour ago, RABid said:

How much is the upgrade from 8 to 9? I've seen 8 at a pretty good price. I searched for the price but you have to be registered at Arturia to find out.

$150 USD, which gets you the upgraded 'Voice Dispersion' stuff on a few of their big name analog poly emulations (which does make a difference), and the killer SQ-80 and MS-20 plugins. Reasonable price, I'd say

• Like 1

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

It's $200 upgrade for most people. For me, it's $150 because I bought the Ensoniq 80 emu when it came out. They state this specific discount policy; it got quoted on GS but I don't remember if I also saw it on their website.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

15 hours ago, David Emm said:

I'm getting good mileage from CA's Memorymode and just took up their Polymode during the Moog sale.

I bought CA´s Memorymode because Memorymoon´s "Memorymoon" 64Bit C++ version isn´t reality up to now.

Good choice for the time being.

I also bought Polymode some time ago because I never touched a real one in the past,- so it was all about checking out what it can do and learn to program.

Man, that architecture can do way more I thought it can !

☺️

A.C.

• Like 1

Well I was wrong, apologies- confused  Arturia purchase with something else.  My purchase of V8 was right at very end of December 21. 

So my upgrade is $199.00, after upgrading just under 5 months ago.  So I guess technically that's for 2  new , 3  "upgraded" synths (Prophets/Cs80 )  and the piano.  Or upgrade individually at $50 ea.   Much as I'd kinda like the SQ,  still not doing it.    I'm very sure V9 will be on yet another sale at $99 somewhere down the line.  

Note, owners of V8 are entitled to upgrade Analog Lab 5- which does give you a bunch of presets from the new synths and upgraded versions. You can't open up  the synth itself to full edit if you don't own it-   but can edit/save the included presets with  usual stuff you'd tweak (filter, adsr, Fx etc.).  Was pleasantly surprised by some of the new CS80 presets in there- and I'm happy just tweaking those. 

Thanks for the Memorymoon link!!!   , didn't know about that one.  I've played  Polymoogs a handful of times,  always intrigued, but never enough to lust for one or attain any real mastery of it.  I was also kind of amazed how crappy the keyboards and buttons felt (at least on the ones I played).   The CA version is pretty cool, not something you'll use on every track, but when it works -it works   Does that Numan-esque sickly vibrato string/pad thing like no other, plus some other cool stuff.  I finally have a better understanding of how those filter bank things are supposed to work.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I've been using Analog Lab 5 and Piano V- v2 since getting my Arturia KeyLab MKII controller- on BF they offerred a upgrade to V8 to me for $199 which I declined.

I've been just using the presets in Analog Lab 5- my main motivation for getting V9 would be to use the B3 drawbars.

I am wondering how much different Piano V3 is.-

I use Addictive Keys mostly and might try a different one like Ivory next fall.

Another motivation for me to get V9 would be to have drawbar control for the B3 they offefr.

However, I have been using UVI's organs - not saying they are better or worse.

15 hours ago, LarsHarner2 said:

I am wondering how much different Piano V3 is.-

Well, i haven't used the Piano 2 in the past (i mostly use the analogue stuff) but i tried the two after the upgrade, and my first quick impression is they are two different VIs, not an incremental update. I do not like the V2, but trying the V3 for a few minutes suggested that i needed to try i for a longer time, it seems interesting, fuller, more expressive.

Maurizio

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me