Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cort buys Digitech and DOD

Cort (Cor-Tek) has a huge infrastructure worldwide. They also produce guitars for other major brands including Ibanez, Squier, Manson and PRS.  They’ve bought Digitech/DOD off Harman (previously acquired by Samsung). 

“We reported that the two brands had been removed from the Harman site earlier this month. It wasn’t the first time that there had been controversy about the effect pedal brand, as previously Digitech had fired all their staff back in May 2018. This included all Tom Cram and the entire Digitech/DOD design team. Thankfully, Tom went on to form Spiral FX.”

https://www.gearnews.com/digitech-and-dod-acquired-by-cor-tek/

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hopefully, good will come of that, including continued/extended customer service and support- which DigiTech had an extremely good reputation about, far above and beyond many other brands!

I hope that Cort/Cor-Tek have the good sense and 'do the right thing' mentality to offer employment opportunities to many former DigiTech and DOD employees, too...

My DigiTech GNX4 had some weak points, but it also had many very good and useful features! It was a GREAT control-center hub for live gigging, acting as both a 'pedals-platform clean-amp' and DI to PA and monitors, with a number of my favorite pedals in front of and after it as well as some of its own multi-effects offerings, and a real-live tube-amp in parallel with it (but NOT connected to it). See some of the I/O 'bells & whistles' below...

The DOD Rubberneck analog echo (with an insert-patch for placing external effects within its delay-repeats feedback-loop!) and the DigiTech FreqOut seem pretty desirable and useful to me; I'll probably pick up each of those further on down the road...

Y2W0KW4.jpg

AGnFCZ0.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

This would be good news, indeed!

DOD and Digitech produced some very innovative, and affordable, pedals & processors. I hated to see the whole thing get trashed, just so Samsung could acquire Harmon-Kardon's high-end audio. I wonder how long until they're fully up and running again?

@Caevan O’Shite- Sadly, the Freqout has gone WAY up in price, but it's a GREAT device. I was a long-time fan of the original Boss DF-2 Feedbacker, and while the Freqout lacks the DF-2's built-in Distortion, you get many more options for dialing in Feedback tones. I've honestly thought of getting a back-up, in spite of the prices.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

2 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

@Caevan O’Shite- Sadly, the Freqout has gone WAY up in price, but it's a GREAT device. I was a long-time fan of the original Boss DF-2 Feedbacker, and while the Freqout lacks the DF-2's built-in Distortion, you get many more options for dialing in Feedback tones. I've honestly thought of getting a back-up, in spite of the prices.

I have and absolutely head-over-heels :love: LOVE :love: my old Maniac Music Sustainiac Model C, that mad scientist gizmo that clamps a vibrating-transducer onto the headstock to vibrate acoustic, harmonic-overtone feedback into the neck, strings and body of the guitar that it's so attached to.

But I wouldn't mind a smaller, pedal-only device that yields almost the same results, more-or-less, without the cumbersome transducer and dangling cable!

fw0B0XJ.jpgDx24CHa.jpg

• Like 1

We'll have to wait and see what happens but Cort is a good company in my book, they've made many high quality guitars over the decades.

I have a Digitech Element XP, which is a small multi-FX with an expression pedal. Some of the presets are surprisingly lush and usable. Some of them sound like the nightmares that people who work at busy Guitar Centers have, "Screechy Chi Chi plays faster than all the other sloppy shred-o-matic Heavy Metal Rodent Children and never stops." 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Tom Cram was an incredible asset to DigiTech. Even though he has his own thing going now, hopefully Cort will make him an offer he can't refused to re-join the fold. Hey, maybe his Spiral FX could benefit from Cort's distribution muscle, and they could sweeten the deal by giving him a royalty for his designs. That would also give them "turnkey" new DigiTech products.

I still have my GNX4, and it still works. I heard that someone sold the GNX4 book I wrote on eBay for something ridiculous, like $200! So I guess some people are still using it. DigiTech also did some great loopers.

The iPB-10 was really clever, but their marketing people never made it clear you didn't need to use an iPad while gigging, you could use it as an offline programmer for a gig's worth of presets. And then very shortly after it was introduced, Apple changed the iPad connector and basically hosed the product...very unfortunate, but it also kind of underscores the dangers of relying on Apple hardware protocols. 

Hey Tom...if you're listening somewhere out there in outer space...check in and say "hi"!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anderton said:

I still have my GNX4, and it still works.

My GNX4 was the hub of my gigging rig, going direct to PA and monitors, in parallel with a 'real-live' tube-amp, and with some favorite pedals before and after it; a real 'poor-man's multi-amp and effects' rig. Mine needs to be repaired, I'll have to get around to that. I loved all the I/O bells 'n whistles that the GNX4 had!

19 minutes ago, Anderton said:

I heard that someone sold the GNX4 book I wrote on eBay for something ridiculous, like $200!

I'd like to get a copy of that, myself!

10 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I'd like to get a copy of that, myself!

Unfortunately that was done before I converted over to doing eBooks exclusively, so I can't just send you a PDF. Maybe I should rip my one last copy apart, scan the pages, and sell it as a PDF. Not for $200, though :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

Unfortunately that was done before I converted over to doing eBooks exclusively, so I can't just send you a PDF. Maybe I should rip my one last copy apart, scan the pages, and sell it as a PDF. Not for $200, though :)

Let me know if and when you do, thanks!

I currently have and :love: LOVE :love: a Strymon Iridium (and El Capistan, and Flint); but I bet that I'd find a good way to use the GNX4 with the Iridium, what with the GNX4's array of I/O and other features. When I get the GNX4 repaired and up and running again, that is.