Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software Deals

Hopefully this isn't a no-no (promoting another site), but my favorite go-to for software deals is the "audioproductiondeals" Reddit.  If "By Grabthar's Hammer" is in the page title, you're in the right place!  They do a fantastic job of scouring the intarwebs for deals.  It's a dangerous place, it has cost me a fair amount of money :)   I don't typically check in there until the winter holiday season, but they keep it up year round.

I also get a fair number of these emailed to me due to past purchases, but it's a great one-stop place if you "need" plugins :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Eventide is having a plug-in sale too, up to 70% off. Includes New Fangled Audio plugins, the page the link leads to goes down quite a ways. 

https://www.eventideaudio.com/plug-ins/

I have Split EQ, Physion, Micro-Pitch and Precision Time Align. 

All are useful and sound very good. Split EQ is just about the only EQ I use or need anymore. Micro-Pitch is fun too. 

Precision Time Align can also be used as "Precision Time Mis-Align" if you find a use for that. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think I'm finally gassed out on software--the exception being that right now is Native Instruments Summer sale.  I have Komplete 12, and I'm debating upgrading to Komplete 13 ultimate.  I'm leaning toward "no", mainly because I have been more focused on my live rig than sitting down at home doing music.  I'm also not really sure the upgrade has things that I really want or need considering what I already have.  For example, Noire would be nice but I already have a CFX piano plugin (Garritan CFX lite).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CejYWctJ5pe/?hl=en

Superberry is 30% off until June 17th - along with all our other devices! 

The developer behind fors.fm is Ess Matisson, who designed Model:Cycles and Digitone for Elektron before leaving to start fors.fm.  I like his synths and they're reasonably priced even when they're not on sale. 

https://fors.fm/Instruments

• 1 year later...

That's the computer version, or IOS?  I'm actually tempted if it's the computer one.  I paid almost double that for the IOS version and gigged with it quite a bit.  I don't mind the Logic organ but I like B-3X better.

8 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Heads up, IK is offering B3-X for 50 $/euros until August 21! I just tested it and if you have any IK Jam Points, you can get a further max $15 discount.

If I can't get to my A-100,  B3-X is my first choice. Yes, I paid for my version and at a steeper price that what is currently offered. 

:nopity:

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Steve Nathan said:

I can't get my MBP to install it.  Can't seem to get around the old "unknown source from the Internet" thing and the "Can't verify it's not full of bad stuff" message

Interesting.  I am assuming the developer has not posted malware.   You should be to get around gatekeeper by holding Option, right-clicking the application, and clicking "Open." 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 8/24/2023 at 3:21 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Synful Orchestra is now free

https://www.synful.com/

It's free, had to grab it.  Not too crazy about the string sounds, but my god, the woodwind/brass sounds are so well done!  Just takes a bit of practice playing legato.  The timing has to be just right for the effect to work.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Interesting.  I am assuming the developer has not posted malware.   You should be to get around gatekeeper by holding Option, right-clicking the application, and clicking "Open." 

Yeah, I remembered how to get around it and deleted my post just a couple minutes after posting.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Nathan said:

Yeah, I remembered how to get around it and deleted my post just a couple minutes after posting.  

The way I recall using it was I would record a midi track normally. Just like playing the piano.  No controllers - no  expression pedal, mod wheel, nothing like that. No key switching.  Simple.  Then, slide my midi some amount like maybe a quarter note ahead of the beat (depending on tempo) to give Synful time to process, and  play back. It miraculously made it sound much more like a violinist (for example) playing the part.  Use this layered with a typical sampled string patch and the ensemble sounds much more authentic too. 

There are other plug-ins since that have improved on authenticity quite a bit using a variety of methods. But I remember being really impressed with what the developer had built. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

10 hours ago, bill5 said:

Interesting.........I wonder how this stacks up vs other free orchestras like ProjectSAM, VSCO, etc? 

Well you can never have enough and they can all compliment each other. 

Spitfire BBC  discover is free.  Very nice and doesn't require a bunch of stuff to get it.

Same with their Labs (free) series.    Spitfire's "Intimate Strings" and "Cinematic Strings"  based on Albion- killer at $29.00 work great for live, with very small memory footprint and use their own custom player- no Kontakt needed.

I think it was  project Sam that required jumping through a bunch of hoops.

One ensemble library I still use live and at home is 8 dio's  Adagietto.   Still sounds great.  I paid full price back in the day- it's now $44, plus  another 15% off if you get on their mailing list. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

2 hours ago, obxa said:

Well you can never have enough 

Yeah you can :) At least I can have enough or even too much. Plugin hoarding is a thing.

Spitfire BBC  discover is free.  Very nice and doesn't require a bunch of stuff to get it.

Ageed; I have it and it sounds really nice. Extremely limited though.

Same with their Labs (free) series.    

A mixed bag IMO. I liked their "Soft Piano" (felt), but most of the rest didn't do much for me. 

I think it was  project Sam that required jumping through a bunch of hoops.

I went back and checked it; it's easy to use, but not really a standard orchestra, but a random mixed bag of orchestral instruments and sounds/combos. Good sound overall though, I'll definitely revisit this.

One ensemble library I still use live and at home is 8 dio's  Adagietto.   Still sounds great. 

I am a big 8Dio strings fan and they have some great sales; they're having one now with 70% off most of their stuff. I have their Anthology Strings (normally $298, got free with another package deal). However their solo sax VIs suck IMO. 

• Like 1

Welcome to circle time :) Yeah when I first started getting into plugins, it was like a kid in a candy store, I was downloading every freebie in sight and buying stuff here and there. It was fun for awhile, but now that I've been around the block, I'm mostly over that and once I find a particular type of plugin that is really good, the best I've seen of its type, I get rid of the ones similar to it I tried before that were inferior, and I have such things for most VIs and effects. Occasionally I will keep things that are the same kind of thing because they might complement one another where one works better in some situations, others in another (for ex. Joshua Bell violin by Embertone...it's excellent but doesn't work for everything). And I stopped visiting places with freebie plugins as it's a neverending story and if you lived to be 100 or more you'll never be able to download and try them all. 

As for IK, I tried a few things by them but their download/install process sucked so bad I wrote them off. Same with Waves. 

2 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Welcome to circle time :) Yeah when I first started getting into plugins, it was like a kid in a candy store, I was downloading every freebie in sight and buying stuff here and there. It was fun for awhile, but now that I've been around the block, I'm mostly over that and once I find a particular type of plugin that is really good, the best I've seen of its type, I get rid of the ones similar to it I tried before that were inferior, and I have such things for most VIs and effects. Occasionally I will keep things that are the same kind of thing because they might complement one another where one works better in some situations, others in another (for ex. Joshua Bell violin by Embertone...it's excellent but doesn't work for everything). And I stopped visiting places with freebie plugins as it's a neverending story and if you lived to be 100 or more you'll never be able to download and try them all. 

As for IK, I tried a few things by them but their download/install process sucked so bad I wrote them off. Same with Waves. 

I did keep IK Modo Drum. They've killed all but the Studio kit but there's a buttload of MIDI drum patterns, intros, verses, fills, choruses and outros. Those still play with other software. I may just export them all into a DAW for a new home. The Studio kit does sound good though so I'll probably hang on to it until they find a way to destroy it. 

NI Studio Drummer sounds more "real" to me and plays those MIDI patterns. 

I've got a ways to go yet to get down to just the good stuff. Ditching IK did make a notable reduction. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.