Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stevie Wonder and His Dream Machines

Stevie Wonder and His Dream Machines is an article about Stevie Wonder's early embrace of new sounds and technology and his influence on the development of synthesizers, pedals, and other electronica used for music creation and production.

A final quote from the article:

Wonder never stopped believing in the power of music technology to open up new vistas, to dissolve the borders between genres. “Of course we can use our technology for our own destruction, but because it’s where the human race is at, I can’t reject it,” he told The New York Times in 1984. “For me, it’s incredibly useful in finding new colors and textures, and it won’t be long before I’ll be able to interface all kinds of software, including reading machines, artificial speech synthesizers and Braille into the creative process.” He has always believed in the power of these machines to transform the world for the better. Of all the various utopias he hoped for, perhaps this is the one that came the closest to coming true.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome article. 👍🏿

IMO, Stevie Wonder doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves when it comes to his usage of music technology and inspiring it. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Awesome article. 👍🏿

IMO, Stevie Wonder doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves when it comes to his usage of music technology and inspiring it. 😎

Agreed, although part of the explanation is we're so busy talking about Stevie being at the top of the mountains of musicianship and songwriting that we infrequently get around to his technological contributions.  I suppose Herbie Hancock holds similar stature and has a better balance of being recognized in all three areas.