Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Apple Event - Mac Studio

Well, they are beasts.  I had hoped for a M1 Pro model in the $1499.99 area.  But alas, M1 Max or M1 Ultra it is, starting at $2k without a display, keyboard or trackpad/mouse.  24 or 48-Core GPUs.   These are for tailored for video work.  If you don't do much video, the M1 Mini or any of the lesser Macs are potent enough for most music needs.  At least they have committed these to 32gb and 64gb RAM. 

MacStudio.JPG

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I’m gonna want the M1Ultra, so $3999 is my point of entry. With 4TB we’re looking at $4999 (+tax).

I want it, but I’ve been traveling so much I figure a MBP might be a more sensible option...

But it’s gonna be one of those two when I get home.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

As someone who has been a Windows user for the last 7 years (I used a mac before that, which was also before I got into music), those prices to me actually seem pretty reasonable for the hardware.  I have a fairly new laptop that works totally fine (got it summer of 2020), so I don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Impressive machines, without a doubt. The Studio Displays look really nice, but probably still more than I'd want to pay.

What's interesting is that they said that the Mac Pro was still to be updated to Mac silicon; I hope that doesn't mean that a 27" iMac replacement isn't coming as well.

With all I read about the M1 Pro being enough chip for most audio users, I'm thinking an M2-based Mac Mini next year might be the way to go, if it offered the Pro chip.

Nice to see Logic featured in the demos; some day it will surely show up on the iPad, right???

8 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Well, they are beasts.  I had hoped for a M1 Pro model in the $1499.99 area.  But alas, M1 Max or M1 Ultra it is, starting at $2k without a display, keyboard or trackpad/mouse.  24 or 48-Core GPUs.   These are for tailored for video work.  If you don't do much video, the M1 Mini or any of the lesser Macs are potent enough for most music needs.  At least they have committed these to 32gb and 64gb RAM. 

MacStudio.JPG

O.k.,- many cores ...

But what´s the stock CPU speed per core and what about cache w/ the new processors ?

There are high quality "core locked" plugins existing which won´t benefit from many cores at all but want 3GHz minimum.

🤔

A.C.

8 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

O.k.,- many cores ...

But what´s the stock CPU speed per core and what about cache w/ the new processors ?

There are high quality "core locked" plugins existing which won´t benefit from many cores at all but want 3GHz minimum.

🤔

A.C.

I haven't watched the event yet, so I don't know if addressed.  However, from the spec sheet it looks like they are getting away from ghz as a spec related to performance.  

"10-core CPU with 8 performance cores and 2 efficiency cores"

It's Apple - they will update their pro apps to use the cores and developers who want to succeed on their platform will be expected to do the same.  Not that the M1 hasn't already showed it can run many of the plugins we use here in Rosetta with astonishing performance.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The pricing for the Mac Studio was more reasonable than I expect from Apple.   I'm happy about the ports.  The one I would get is $5000 so high but doable.    The monitor is overpriced my iMac is a 27" 5K display so to me that's a lot for display only.   Like the other monitor the stand option aren't cheap the adjustable stand is about $400 more.   

Now the important question, Mac Studio is available now how many have there credit cards out and ordering NOW!  

9 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I haven't watched the event yet, so I don't know if addressed.  However, from the spec sheet it looks like they are getting away from ghz as a spec related to performance.  

"10-core CPU with 8 performance cores and 2 efficiency cores"

It's Apple - they will update their pro apps to use the cores and developers who want to succeed on their platform will be expected to do the same.  Not that the M1 hasn't already showed it can run many of the plugins we use here in Rosetta with astonishing performance.  

That not so much the app developers updating more about OSX and it's process and memory management.    Sure if an app is written single threaded the OS can only do so much to split tasks among the processors.   But I'd say most pro level apps from anyone are multithreaded these days so becomes about the OS's process management and how it's juggling the available cores between the running apps and OS. 

44 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

O.k.,- many cores ...

🤔

A.C.

The performance cores on the M1 family are clocked at 3.2 GHz. That includes the M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max - all of which share the same basic core configuration. The Pro and Max just have more of them (and more GPU cores), along with faster memory bandwidth and the ability to be configured with more RAM. I'm not sure what the cores on the M1 Ultra will be clocked at, but I suspect they'll be the same as everything else in the M1 family. 

I just purchased an M1 Max Studio to replace my 16 GB M1 Mac mini. It should be here in a couple of weeks. The mini is amazing, and plenty powerful, but I wanted to get something even faster and with more ports, and I'm sure the Studio is going to be way more than enough for my needs and will last me for at least a few years, if not several years. 

In Pro Tools Ultra 2021.12 running on a 16 GB M1 Mac mini paired with an Avid Carbon interface, I can open and run sessions that maxed out my old i7 quad core (32 GB RAM) PC / HD3 setup and the CPU use is at about 15-20%. And that's with a 32 sample buffer setting.

The M1 family SOC's are exceptionally fast. I didn't believe the hype at first, but I was convinced after using one for only a short while. They're great computers!

• Like 1

The tech people I follow are surprised that Apple seems to be the first company to allow separate chiplets to present multiple CPUs and GPUs to the apps as a single processor.

Indie filmmakers and other video creative types must be thrilled.

Definitely got my interest.

I have a cheap (but very nice feeling mechanical-ish) keyboard, regular gaming mouse and 2k non-apple monitor already...no need for the apple versions of any of these.

My big conundrum:  would I ever need to be truly portable?  I did bring my older macbook pro to a gig in order to record, since our Behringer mixer won't do so with a drive unfortunately.   My intention is to do this with most shows, at least for certain songs that may need work or if we are after a demo.  Then again, *because* I have that MBP it would make it easier to get this.

The true competition for dollars though is a gaming pc, and of course wanting to upgrade my live keyboard rig...I've been getting back into doing some gaming :)  Especially when my kids actually want to play with ol dad!

For musician's use, I'd be tempted by a Samsung Odyssey Neo G9.

I can sort of understand the appeal of the $1700 studio display where precise color temperature and such is important (or whatever the technical terms for that kind of stuff is), but for tracking Pro Tools or Logic or similar, having 49" diagonal, baby...

I realize it's substantially OT, but for mechanical keyboards, my daily driver is a GMMK Pro, and I've been tempted by Keychron Q and similar heavy aluminum mechanical keebs.

For as much time as I spend behind a computer keyboard, I could never go back to a membrane low profile slab.

No doubt.  I'm sure that display is nice, but the sweet spot for is (was at least) 2k 32" monitors.  That is a good size for me and it costs less than 250 bucks, making sure you can get 60hz at 2k.

My keyboard was around 20 bucks from Amazon, doesn't have the numeric keyboard (to save desk space), is light gray and has lights.  I'd never guess it was that cheap typing on it.  Probably made out of asbestos or something :D

• Haha 1

Never used an Apple machine with an Apple display.

Last time I had a work-issued Macbook Pro, I was provided with a Dell or LG - forgot which - to compensate for the Macbook's little screen - it was a 13" laptop.

Previous employer issued a 17" Macbook Pro but provided Dell monitors.

Apple QWERTY+numpad  = $199, I can't see any justification for that price. Apple trackpad is also insanely expensive at $149, but at least there you could say nothing else is as good.

The Mac Studio could work with Vienna Ensemble Pro as a server or it could act as a stand alone DAW.  It's small enough to travel in a live rig. The higher RAM options are very motivating. I think anybody using Omnisphere or Keyscape or an orchestral library is paying attention. 👍 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Don’t forget $1700 for the Apple branded display.  Which I am sure is lovely as it almost always is.  But. Oof! 

Yeah, that's both too large and too expensive for my needs. I'm going to be sticking with. my Acer 20" and 23" dual displays for the time being. Anything larger and I'd have to reposition my nearfield monitors, which I really don't want to have to do. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Philip OKeefe said:

Yeah, that's both too large and too expensive for my needs. I'm going to be sticking with. my Acer 20" and 23"dual displays for the time being. Anything larger and I'd have to reposition my nearfield monitors, which I really don't want to have to do. 

Yes, that's what has kept me from going full on dual display. I figure you'd have to go to midfield monitoring, and that just won't work in my little room.

With the way I'm set up now, anything larger than 28" would require a major rethink of my listening position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tfort said:

What's interesting is that they said that the Mac Pro was still to be updated to Mac silicon; I hope that doesn't mean that a 27" iMac replacement isn't coming as well.

(snip)

Nice to see Logic featured in the demos; some day it will surely show up on the iPad, right???

Yeah, I noticed that too. I can't imagine they're planning on discontinuing the larger iMac, but hey - I could easily be wrong. Still, it would be a shame if they didn't update that with an M1 or M2 SoC of some sort. 

As far as Logic on an iPad, with M1 family chips being added to iPad models, I think that's just a matter of time. The line between Mac and iPad keeps getting ever more blurred... after all, we can run iPad apps on the M1 laptops and minis now, so why not the other way around once the iPads are powerful enough? 

Apple has killed me, well my 27" iMac is now discontinued.    

So that mean no iMac Pro coming so buy a Mini Studio and shut up?   Surprised they didn't kill the Mac Pro, but guess there are still high end users who need slots for audio, video and scientific interfaces boards.    Guess that new Mac Pro will be when they can figure out a four way interconnect for M1Max chips.  So will that be called the M1 Wizard chip???  After seeing the cooling system on the M1 Ultra the M1 Wizard will have to have safety guards so babies and small pets don't get sucked in to the cooling intake.   

• Haha 1

They said the Ultra is the last of the M1's, so that would suggest the next Mac Pro will have an M2 or something. And yes, they did say another Mac Pro is coming, so...

The M1 Ultra chip was fairly well rumored last year, and pegged exactly back in December. Those same early rumors show a 4 x M1 Max die chip, which is assumedly what will go into the next Mac Pro update. Other Mac Twitter people have shown the patents for two of the new chips placed side-by-side in a single package, and also for 3D stacking in the future.

Jade C-Chop is the M1 Pro, C-Die is the M1 Max, Jade 2C-Die is the new M1 Ultra...

Today's rumors are that a more powerful 27" iMac will still be revealed later this year or early next.

image.thumb.png.21da778ddb778f126fc3a011c5f134a7.png

https://twitter.com/siracusa/status/1501279165298970627

• Like 1