Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Modal S5 Mini Synth...

For me the Cobalt has this problem of being a VA-synth without actually emulating real analog synths. So, it's not virtual ANALOG but is rather VIRTUAL analog-like synth. It just sounds generic and bland. With that in mind, I really love my Hydrasynth since it's not even marketed as VA (and is a proud digital synth) but there are parameters meant to make it sound like an imperfect analog synth. Indeed, I can make it sound like a Moog, warm and really imperfect. I love how small and compact this Cobalt is though. But I'd take a Hydrasynth Explorer over it.

I think its an excellent synth for the buck, with that nice Modal voice. Added points for the editor, which takes much of the imagined sting out of the smaller set of knobs. Say it with me: module with courtesy keys.

If you look at the very early Vangelis rigs, they always seemed to be topped off with Micromoogs and the like, which were often aimed at solos and effects. It made sense when the big polys and e-pianos were the base of the stack. I've learned to adapt to smaller keys because I had to do so, but I won't dismiss the benefits, either. That especially goes for anything synth-based, where the requirements are way below solo piano/organ level.

Its easier to envision because outboard effects have become real monsters. Every child should be issued a Zoom MS-70CDR at birth.🤓

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

6 hours ago, ABECK said:

Yes, you nailed it on the head.  I too literally hate everything about that video.  Perhaps we should hang out at Dunkin Donuts and yell at teenagers.

:D

I mean, I like to think I’m not too far removed from “the scene” or young people, and I’m wondering who these 20-somethings are who go by “Hobbit” and “Gnarly”, and then lay down “dope” vocals while using a sm7b as a hand-held mic.

I poke at it in jest, but bottom line, I’ve never felt so obviously excluded from the target market of a synth as I have after watching that video. Which is fine, but just unusual. 

10 hours ago, BluMunk said:

:D

and then lay down “dope” vocals.......

When someone uses the word "dope" as a positive adjective you know there is a generation gap.

OTOH the few presets I heard on this synth didnt seem to be the orch hits and stabs that are the prerequisite for sequencer based hip,trip and whatever other kinds of hop that are uh....."dope".....right now.

FunMachine.

14 hours ago, Doerfler said:

maybe you old dudes will like this video better ;)

Ahh - that's better.

Slightly OT - bitching about the younger generation is an earned right and damit I'm gonna flex it.  (I can't imagine my parent's culture shock when I was watching Twisted Sister on the family tv!!)

15 hours ago, Doerfler said:

maybe you old dudes will like this video better ;)

Informative, but predictable 😴. The first video piqued my interest more😁

19 hours ago, BluMunk said:

[curmudgeon]I hate everything in their headline video. It both makes me feel cranky about being old and inspires scorn for the young, their lingo, their style, and their music.[/curmudgeon]

18 hours ago, ABECK said:

Yes, you nailed it on the head.  I too literally hate everything about that video.  Perhaps we should hang out at Dunkin Donuts and yell at teenagers.

Think I'll invite my high school-age students and we'll all go dance on your lawns. :poke:;)

• Haha 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

On 3/1/2022 at 4:03 PM, CyberGene said:

For me the Cobalt has this problem of being a VA-synth without actually emulating real analog synths. So, it's not virtual ANALOG but is rather VIRTUAL analog-like synth. It just sounds generic and bland. With that in mind, I really love my Hydrasynth since it's not even marketed as VA (and is a proud digital synth) but there are parameters meant to make it sound like an imperfect analog synth. Indeed, I can make it sound like a Moog, warm and really imperfect. I love how small and compact this Cobalt is though. But I'd take a Hydrasynth Explorer over it.

That's an interesting point but (IMO only) I care what 1) a synth sounds like, 2) what it can do/features, 3) how easy it is to use, 4) what it costs. Promo stuff I usually pass by and the unit offers quite a lot for the money, is small (important to me) and is 90% of the larger models (one less LFO and only chorus and delay). The fact that there's an editor out of the gate for all platforms including iOS is very helpful. 

I too am looking at the Hydrasynth Explorer which seems awesome as well and think Modal may have done this based on the positive response to that device. It sparked my interest as I've heard some great sounds from the Modal 8 and again, the size is really desktop friendly. YMMV of course! :)

• Like 1