Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for ideas: stereo keys, mono effects

SamuelBLupowitz

So I've been having a blast with my new Prologue 8, and one of the unexpected things I'm enjoying about it is how great it sounds in stereo. I'm a sucker for voice spread, the onboard reverbs and delays sounds killer, and I run my piano and organ in stereo anyway.

One thing about that, though, is that I use a talkbox on synth pretty often, and my box is mono. The Prologue only has the main left and right outputs (plus a headphone output); there's no way to route patches to different outputs, or pan a mono patch to one output or the other.

It's not a huge deal to just roll with mono synth at a gig, but I'm trying to brainstorm ways (just for fun) I could have my cake and eat it in my live rig. A stereo A/B box switching between the synth's stereo outputs and the always-running talkbox? Some sort of effects loop (again, wouldn't need the return with the talkbox, just a way to direct the signal there instead of a mixer/amp)?

Anyway just kicking some ideas around on a Friday afternoon. Interested in anyone's thoughts.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

11 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

So I've been having a blast with my new Prologue 8, and one of the unexpected things I'm enjoying about it is how great it sounds in stereo. I'm a sucker for voice spread, the onboard reverbs and delays sounds killer, and I run my piano and organ in stereo anyway.

One thing about that, though, is that I use a talkbox on synth pretty often, and my box is mono. The Prologue only has the main left and right outputs (plus a headphone output); there's no way to route patches to different outputs, or pan a mono patch to one output or the other.

It's not a huge deal to just roll with mono synth at a gig, but I'm trying to brainstorm ways (just for fun) I could have my cake and eat it in my live rig. A stereo A/B box switching between the synth's stereo outputs and the always-running talkbox? Some sort of effects loop (again, wouldn't need the return with the talkbox, just a way to direct the signal there instead of a mixer/amp)?

Anyway just kicking some ideas around on a Friday afternoon. Interested in anyone's thoughts.

Does your mixer have a mono bus?  You could send the channels that the Prologue is connected to that bus and just leave it muted when not using the talkbox, and then the talkbox's output can be routed back into the mixer as mono and sent out the main outputs.

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper