Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My love/hate relationship with Country Music.

surfergirl

We started this band when we were 11/12 and for 10 years this June I have driven my band mates crazy with my going back and forth on music genres. I've finally, I hope, found my way. This song was 20 years before my time, but it's kind of how I feel. I do put peanuts in my coke.

https://youtu.be/dbm/MOiaWcZs

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

I used to watch the Grand Ole Opry all the time way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, plus there was another country show on called the Porter Wagoner show which was independent of the Opry.

Back in the hippy days, my guitar playing buddies and other musician buddies would come over the house and when they saw those shows on, they would say; How can you like that country music? However I told them just tune out the lyrics and lead singer, and listen to the sidemen. (Which of blew all the minds of those old hippy musicians away). I never cared for many of the singers and the lyrics (cryin and weepin), which seemed overly relationship based emotional to me, but the sidemen were stellar in my mind. Nowadays I still watch a bit of the Opry on Circle TV, and some of the other country shows on Circle. Anyways Country is becoming very updated and rock and roll influenced a bit. I am still amazed at the exactness, cleanliness and speed that the country sidemen exhibit. Very impressive.

• Like 1

I like to play my versions of older country tunes by different artists like Merle, Willie, Ray Charles, Elvis, Hank Sr.  I like to play jazzy country rock tunes like Asleep at the Wheel, Marshal Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Hank Jr.  I can't stand new country and prefer what's known as Outlaw Country.  It's a whole lotta shaken going on that reminds me of my country rock gigging band days. I still get together with an old friend and play and sing a few country tunes.  It's a fun genre...😎

ps. I never heard of putting peanuts in my Coke SurferGirl LoL! 👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

Some of the finest, clearest Guitar lines ever played have been played by Country Musicians, period. I may not be a fan, but that doesn't mean I can't hear.

OTOH, too much current Country Music sounds a LOT like 1970's Southern Rock, and very little like Hank Williams or Chet Atkins. I lived in a house with a Southern Rock band for a while, so I KNOW that sound in my bones. (It was an interesting, and eclectic mix of people in that house.)

Sideways thought: I remember seeing old barflies toss a pinch of salt into a mug of beer, and it would foam up a little. Maybe dropping peanuts into Coke does the same thing?

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Here's some of the old Earnest Tubbs country boys from way back showing off a few of their jazzy licks:

I remember people putting salt in their beer back in the day.  I tried it once but it just didn't do anything for me.  It would cause the beer to foam up a little and bring back the head.  Not sure about peanuts in the coke idea, but I'm guessing the salt on the peanuts and the coke provides some sort of sweet and sour taste maybe?  We had a few local bars that served peanuts in the shell with mugs of beer and you threw the shells on the floor...kind of fun and the peanuts went very well with beer...😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

I not sure exactly when my love for Country music started, probably when I saw a Patsy Cline special on PBS.  I listen to a lot of Emmy Lou Harris, Alison Krauss, etc. But my favorite is Sissy Spacek. I know she is not primarily a singer, but I can relate to her vocally.

Edit: Our lead guitarist is a big fan of James Burton and Albert Lee, so getting him onboard was easy.

https://youtu.be/OuC57M5v27E

https://youtu.be/1RIAGvFzIxI

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

I'm from Fresno y'all, just 100 miles north of Bakersfield. 

I've heard country music all my life and I played many songs many times at gigs. I even spent 9 months in Jeff and Lorie's High Noon Band as lead guitarist.

The best country pickers could show some heavy metal hotshots chops they've never heard before. 

I like the style and the stories, I've even written a country song or two myself, danggit!!! 😇

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

17 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

The best country pickers could show some heavy metal hotshots chops they've never heard before. 

Way back in the late 60's/early 70's(?), I saw Roy Clark on one of the late night shows, probably the Tonight Show. Long before we ever used the term 'shredding', Roy Clark could shred! He was laughing like a madman while he played, too, no grimacing, no look of intense concentration, he was just having fun! Made you wonder what he could do if he tried hard!

• Like 5

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

6 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Way back in the late 60's/early 70's(?), I saw Roy Clark on one of the late night shows, probably the Tonight Show. Long before we ever used the term 'shredding', Roy Clark could shred! He was laughing like a madman while he played, too, no grimacing, no look of intense concentration, he was just having fun! Made you wonder what he could do if he tried hard!

I too saw Roy Clark on TV back in the sixties. I was amazed as his speed, his tone, and the beauty of his licks. I was floored at his ability. He was one of my country pickin and a grinnin favorites. I still enjoy his stuff on the Circle TV channel when they rebroadcast those old Hee Haw shows. Simply amazing.

• Like 2

Back in the 60's one of my Ventures band buddies gave me a 33lp of Roy Clark Stringing the Blues.  It's where I learned to play his version of the Honky Tonk instrumental (The Ventures also covered the tune).  This was the guitar version not the sax version.  The tune has been with me from my early learning days in the early 60's.  I still love playing it throwing in my own licks and just getting a little of the Roy Clark vibe.  He is/was one of the guitar gods of our time IMHO.  😎

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

Roy Clark was indeed a monster guitarist. I saw Willie Nelson with the Family Band featuring Grady Martin, ain't no flies on him neither. 

Albert Lee on his 70th birthday tour was using his thumb and first finger to flatpack while blasting away with his other three fingers. He stood there smiling, made it look easy. It's not! Fast as lighting and clean as a whistle. 

• Like 2

Yep Kuru, those country pickers are amazing. I think those guys have a guitar in their hands for at least 4 to 6 hours (or more) daily. I remember during one of my lessons with Emily Remler, she said; "I am a slave to this thing" pointing at her guitar, she also said "I have to practice every day and I cannot take Sundays off".

I would say with relative confidence those great guitarists are relentless in their practice habits. At one time, I was practicing scales for several hours daily, and then jamming on the thing for hours and hours playing over top of already recording songs by the stars. When I acquired recording capabilities, then I would practice on my own backing tracks. Nowadays I only do an hour daily on my backing tracks and a half hour or so practicing on self created chord progressions. I also do about 15 minutes on scales. If I lay off for a few days, I have a tough time playing without a lot of clams. My first 15 minutes after a long layoff are a musical disaster. I would not even consider playing out without some relentless practice daily for several more hours a day than now (with no days off).

• Like 2

Emailed the producer of the Cutter All American Rodeo to try to get a spot at this years Rodeo. If we can't score a spot there, I'm also reaching out to the 6 or so smaller Rodeo's. I'm not sure how many of them have live music, but can't hurt to reach out. The Cutter All American is the biggest. 

• Like 5

Jennifer S.

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Emailed the producer of the Cutter All American Rodeo to try to get a spot at this years Rodeo. If we can't score a spot there, I'm also reaching out to the 6 or so smaller Rodeo's. I'm not sure how many of them have live music, but can't hurt to reach out. The Cutter All American is the biggest. 

When I was in Jeff and Lorie's High Noon Band we got a gig playing on a flatbed trailer for the Clovis Rodeo Parade. Pretty much a total hoot plus we got paid $100 each for a 50 minute set. LOTS of people in the audience but it moved by pretty quickly, so everybody got just a bit of us. Fun!

• Like 2

Back in the early Eighties, when the movie Urban Cowboy introduced many people to country music, I went to a country bar with some friends one night.  I was both watching and listening to the band, and when they took a break, I talked with the lead guitarist.  I asked him why they played every song in the key of G, since the singer was playing an acoustic guitar and only played the chords G, C, and D.  The lead guitarist told me those are the only three chords the singer knows.  I have never had any interest in country music since then, except for Roy Clark, who was absolutely amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
I rock; therefore, I am.

17 hours ago, Sharkman said:

Back in the early Eighties, when the movie Urban Cowboy introduced many people to country music, I went to a country bar with some friends one night.  I was both watching and listening to the band, and when they took a break, I talked with the lead guitarist.  I asked him why they played every song in the key of G, since the singer was playing an acoustic guitar and only played the chords G, C, and D.  The lead guitarist told me those are the only three chords the singer knows.  I have never had any interest in country music since then, except for Roy Clark, who was absolutely amazing.

Give Emmylou Harris' album "Quarter Moon In A Ten Cent Town" a spin and get back to us. With the exception of Albert Lee, who is an awesome guitarist, the rest of the Hot Band used to back Elvis Presley. They sort of know what they're doing!!! 😀

• Like 3

21 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I have that. James Burton and Albert lee are both on that one. One or both are on all of her albums thru 1981. 

It's a great record, one of my all time favorite albums of any genre and certainly one of Emmylou's best (although she really doesn't have any bad records that I've heard).

I got to see her perform at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz on the Wrecking Ball tour, fabulous!!!!!!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I wish I had seen this earlier, it would have totally changed how I choose material. "I hear a song, and I can hear it in my voice or someone else's voice." Emmylou Harris. 

Emmylou has written some great tunes but she does amazing covers of great songs as well. 

Might be my favorite female country artist, I do love Lucinda Williams and Dolly Parton though. 

Emmylou did 2 albums with Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt (who is no slouch either!!!!). Those are amazing records, worth anybody's time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The're going to put me in the movies

The're going to make a big star out of me

Ok maybe an exaggeration. We just got one 45 minute set at the Cutter All America Rodeo in June, and possible a second set. Hee Haw🤠    

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Jennifer S.

7 hours ago, surfergirl said:

The're going to put me in the movies

The're going to make a big star out of me

Ok maybe an exaggeration. We just got one 45 minute set at the Cutter All America Rodeo in June, and possible a second set. Hee Haw🤠    

CONGRATS SURFERGIRL!  YOU GO GIRL! 🤠👍

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

Congrats on the rodeo gig, surfergirl!

If you were indifferent to country music, I'd worry about ya. 

Love/Hate means ya got some passion and skin in the game. 

I love country music but I hate some of it too. 

And, long ago and far away I was a pick-up bassist for a weekend at a dive bar in Reedley CA (more or less nowhere). 

I'd managed to avoid practice and the singer/guitarist said to me "You know the Achy Breaky?". 

I'd never played it but you couldn't avoid hearing it so I said "Its a one-five in A, right?"

And he said "We don't know what you mean when you say stuff like that."

And I said "Go!"

It was a 1-5 in A and we filled the dance floor. I hated that song, still do. 😇

• Like 3

Kuru, I had a little "skin in the game" playing in a country rock band for 3 years.  We filled a lot of dance floors too and had tons of fun!  We played a lot of country tunes but we threw in some Elvis, Beatles, Orbison, and yes a country surf tune called Pipeline LoL! Two guitars, bass, drums and a sax! Lots of 1-4-5's... 🤠👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

3 minutes ago, Larryz said:

Kuru, I had a little "skin in the game" playing in a country rock band for 3 years.  We filled a lot of dance floors too and had tons of fun!  We played a lot of country tunes but we threw in some Elvis, Beatles, Orbison, and yes a country surf tune called Pipeline LoL! Two guitars, bass, drums and a sax! Lots of 1-4-5's... 🤠👍

Sounds like fun to me, Larryz!

I played for 9 years in Fresno with Roger Perry, who knew so many songs that we never had a set list. He could play country songs for however long the crowd wanted them. We played rock, blues, heavy metal funk, soul, folk, etc. It just depended on where we were and who was in attendance. 

I played in a top 40 country band at a hotel lounge every Friday and Saturday for 9 months, left a Peavey amp there the whole time. 

And I played up here in Bellingham for 6 years with JP Falcon, he knows a ton of country tunes as well. Some of them I already knew, I think he hired me because I knew the harmonies to Luchenbach Texas and Silver Wings. 

I don't figger I'm done playin country neither. I know a few tunes my own self. 😁

• Like 2