Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer unveils Oberheim OB-Xa-inspired desktop/$99 version of the Sequential Prophet VS

Well, in effect this is also happening in the car business.  Drove past the Toyota dealer on the corner the other day. The new model lot is literally empty.  You have a better shot at getting the model, features, color you want ordering direct from factory but who knows when it will arrive.  

That said, I don’t know what to think about this barrage of non-announcements. Maybe a morale lifter for their designers?  Enthusiasm for what they’ve been working on despite no materials to  do a production run.  Hard to say what’s going on over there. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It used to be "my dog ate it".

Now it's "I cant get the chips".

I wish somebody had a little midi box that allowed to hook these 3 and 4 voice synths together in a way that added their polyphony together. Or a daisy chain feature in the synths themselves.

FunMachine.

I'm glad I'm not clenching anything, waiting for these to become real any time soon. I dunno which seems more stressful to a potential newbie, painfully saving for a more "proper," name synth or never reaching synth-gasm at all because B is still largely vaporware. That goes triple for the drool-inducers like a BO-X or BS-80. The sound piques half of my curiosity; the other half lies in how they really hold up in the field over time.

If BS-80s keep dying after 4 years and repair shops refuse to take them on, you'll have a certain answer. Likewise if they prove surprisingly tough. I wouldn't mind that so much, since Yamaha shows no interest in a reissue of any kind.   

Headline: "Behringer releases actual hardware synth you can buy NOW!" Cue +/- 18K newbies fainting worldwide.🤨

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

5A70EDA5-6131-4BFD-B8CD-4DD6605B3027.jpeg.92aafada9f7891bdd174a160f336e7cd.jpeg

Behringer undercuts his own Model D with a $99 Model D Soul. 

The ultimate codpiece for the synthesist on the go. Leave it running and go for a walk. When someone asks where that sound is coming from, simply say 'What sound?" Or worse yet, point at your nethers and say "Right here, do you like it?"

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

47 minutes ago, David Emm said:

The ultimate codpiece for the synthesist on the go. Leave it running and go for a walk. When someone asks where that sound is coming from, simply say 'What sound?" Or worse yet, point at your nethers and say "Right here, do you like it?"

😂  I can’t remember the last time I’ve read a more outlandish statement!  Tinged with renaissance humor no less!  Bravo!  

On 3/5/2022 at 3:56 PM, Jr. Deluxe said:

It used to be "my dog ate it".

Now it's "I cant get the chips".

I wish somebody had a little midi box that allowed to hook these 3 and 4 voice synths together in a way that added their polyphony together. Or a daisy chain feature in the synths themselves.

Most Behringer synths have Poly Chain mode. You connect Midi Out to Midi In and enable it using the Synth Tool app.

7 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Another Roland clone…. MS-5B803E05F-47C9-4351-B143-6FAB29EC8D45.jpeg.edf2aedf6e3f60e9d7bc8680a2b9ae0b.jpeg

DD38B71A-A4CC-44D0-A165-3D9B911650D4.thumb.jpeg.8ee7e69808534470bb7a14f4173903e0.jpeg

They even copied the pitch stick, wow.  The attention to detail on these clones is great, but who knows how they will sound and what they will cost until they come to market?  I'd also be wary of the build quality, but these pictures seem to suggest it's built pretty well.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

I have mentioned this before, maybe on another thread. I was able to try out a Behringer Poly D (same format as pictured above) for almost 10 weeks.

Build quality was excellent. Sound quality was excellent. Returned it as I didn't "need" it (still have my Moog Voyager), probably should have paid for it and kept it.

I would expect the same when this Roland clone finally ships, whenever that will be.

• Like 1
:nopity:

27 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

I have mentioned this before, maybe on another thread. I was able to try out a Behringer Poly D (same format as pictured above) for almost 10 weeks.

Build quality was excellent. Sound quality was excellent. Returned it as I didn't "need" it (still have my Moog Voyager), probably should have paid for it and kept it.

I would expect the same when this Roland clone finally ships, whenever that will be.

I did not buy the Deepmind 12, but I’ve played it in the shop and have a few friends who own it.  Build is quite good.  Sound and FX as well.  They invested considerably in patch design.  And a large community of users has developed around this affordable poly synth.  

An SH-7 was one of my earliest name synths, so this clone gives me the creeps, as if someone had my deceased dog stuffed. 😛

A month ago, I told a friend I was good for synths.   That is unless an  OB2 voice or System 100  appeared in some  sort of unicorn goodwill-pawnshop fantasy deal.    

I'll take the SH-7.      Behringer just needs to find a way to make a Clav-Pianet and I'll put them on auto-debit.  

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

It's just shady genius. This barrage of fan-service announcements and prototypes and renderings does one thing: it prevents budget conscious shoppers from considering purchase of either vintage or new models by the original creators at what we would expect to be the price based on niche products like synths. I think the 2600 clones are the perfect example compared to the "sanctioned" Korg version.

"For instance" is not proof.

I feel as if Behringer is firing synths at me from a t-shirt cannon. I also saw a mini-tease for a 3-voice CS-80 emulation attempt. Quit it! Ow! Quit it! Ow!🤬