Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sort of, but not completely, OT: "mount-friendly" iPad case

My new iPad mini is still in its honeymoon period with me, but it will soon have to earn its keep at gigs, which leads me to the following challenge. 

I have a standard-issue trifold "fold it in front, or fold it behind, or roll it into a triangle" cover for it, which does not make gig mounting very friendly. If I "fold it behind", the soft case material makes it difficult to clamp into an iPad mount, and if I "roll it into a triangle" it's impossible. 

What case do you iPadders out there use to gig with?

Cheers, Mike.

I bought one of those mic stand mountable holders that lots of third party manufacturers make, but honestly when I gig with an iPad at this point, most of the time I'm finding a button-less corner of one of more boards to rest it on if I can.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Yes I had one for my previous iPad air 2 which I found very nice, but when I changed to the iPad 7, I couldn't find a fitting one. I don't really understand why they only do cases for certain models, and not for all. What a shame as now the fixation system is useless for me 😞

Anyway, I ended up buying a universal tablet holder from K&M.

There's a guy in FB that sells some custom mounts for the Montage and Kronos, which lets you slide across the length of the board.    Lot of compliments from users.  

I personally use a support that attaches to the slide keyboard stand, it's clunky as hell but stable and accepts different iPad sizes.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I have a similar case, and for gigs I just take it off.  The ipad sits on top of my MODX, which is my top keyboard and has enough of a slant that I can easily see it.  I have gaffer's tape under velcro (in hopes of not leaving residue on the MODX) and matching velcro on the body of the ipad.    What I don't like about using the ipad is the usb and power cabling (which goes off the right side of the MODX to avoid it hitting any buttons), I need to add more velcro or something to keep it snug up against the keyboard.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Hola iPad holder and a Gen2 iPad Pro 12x9. It holds while in it's tri-fold case. I get nervous sometimes, and sometimes I just pop it out of the case, but it's an excellent holder. They give you two sets of 'V' sliding clamps, one for large and one for regular tablets.

And wow, it's now only $17.00!

https://www.amazon.com/Hola-Music-HM-MTH-Microphone-Smartphone/dp/B00QT1E3K2

325649536_HolaiPad1.thumb.jpg.e237a6ddf73cad967c2662e700bd6025.jpg

144814360_HolaiPad2.thumb.jpg.4e198caddbabcf585336401d09f3e4b5.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Thanks @Synthaholic. When I search for that product, I see a tablet holder with an additional clamp to mount to the side of a music stand. 

Can you confirm that this additional clamp can be removed and the tablet holder can be mounted to the top of a microphone stand using a standard thread?

Cheers, Mike.

Completely on topic for me and many others who would like to find better ways to mount and use their iPads for live use.  I'm ready to bring an iPad into my rig, but unless I spend some serious time and effort on robust connectors, packaging, etc. it's gonna remain a sketch deal.  The dual V holder looks pretty good, now just need to learn to trust a USB-C port that could bring everything down if I look at it wrong.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 7:13 AM, stoken6 said:

Thanks @Synthaholic. When I search for that product, I see a tablet holder with an additional clamp to mount to the side of a music stand. 

Can you confirm that this additional clamp can be removed and the tablet holder can be mounted to the top of a microphone stand using a standard thread?

Cheers, Mike.

I never got a notification for this - sorry about the delay in answering.

Yes, it's a standard mic thread. But I put these on everything, for quick release. I leave it attached to my iPad and transport it in a briefcase.

1569480648_HolaiPad3.thumb.jpg.2f424dea597a7d589bcfc76f2c2490b1.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Am I not on topic? Apologies if I misread what people are looking for. I'm very happy with this iPad holder, though, and just picked up a spare, because $17.

6 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Am I not on topic? Apologies if I misread what people are looking for. I'm very happy with this iPad holder, though, and just picked up a spare, because $17.

Thanks for your reply. You are on topic for this thread, which I labelled as questionably on-topic, because it's about tablets, not keyboards. Mitigating circumstances: it's about mounting tablets to gig with. I don't think there's anything more profound than that going on. 

Cheers, Mike

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, Synthaholic said:

This iPad holder is now only $11 and change on Amazon. A true no-brainer.

• Like 1