Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

76 keys controller with joystick (or, I bought too early...)

On 2/25/2022 at 1:13 PM, stoken6 said:

Did you try the 61 or 76? The latter has a (reportedly) better keybed.

Cheers, Mike.

tks for the heads up...maybe I'll have to retest the 76...., I've tested the 61 and just quickly the 76.

BTW, anyone happy with the Krome 73 synth action?

The Krome 61 and 73 have the same action. I owned a Krome 61 for about three years in my main keys rig and used it a lot. That action is alright, but it suffers from the keys becoming significantly stiffer towards the rear of the keys. To the point that, though I did do some solo piano gigs in a tight space with it, it was really best suited as a keyboard for the second tier of a keys rig where your hands wouldn't end up as far back on the keys as they would when using it as your main board/controller. I would expect the Juno DS76 to be better, though I haven't tried one.

The Krome action however IS better than the DS61/FA06 action in that the keys aren't as short. It's still kind of cheap feeling though.

So to sum it up - it has the same issues as the DS61 but with longer keys; I think it's pretty okay unless you're playing piano or electric piano with it as your main board (as opposed to slanted from an upper tier of a stand). It's plasticky. For me it probably gets a 6/10 rating [DS61 gets a 4/10, Yamaha MX61 gets around a 7/10 because key stiffness is even but it's flimsy feeling]. Others here dislike it a lot more than I did.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

1 hour ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

The Krome 61 and 73 have the same action. I owned a Krome 61 for about three years in my main keys rig and used it a lot. That action is alright, but it suffers from the keys becoming significantly stiffer towards the rear of the keys. To the point that, though I did do some solo piano gigs in a tight space with it, it was really best suited as a keyboard for the second tier of a keys rig where your hands wouldn't end up as far back on the keys as they would when using it as your main board/controller. I would expect the Juno DS76 to be better, though I haven't tried one.

The Krome action however IS better than the DS61/FA06 action in that the keys aren't as short. It's still kind of cheap feeling though.

So to sum it up - it has the same issues as the DS61 but with longer keys; I think it's pretty okay unless you're playing piano or electric piano with it as your main board (as opposed to slanted from an upper tier of a stand). It's plasticky. For me it probably gets a 6/10 rating [DS61 gets a 4/10, Yamaha MX61 gets around a 7/10 because key stiffness is even but it's flimsy feeling]. Others here dislike it a lot more than I did.

very helpfull! tks!

I went through this same exercise a few years ago looking for a lower controller to use with the Kronos 61 I was using as an upper board at the time. I ended up going with a Roland VR-700.  It has a great semi-weighted waterfall keybed, although no aftertouch.  Plus when the organ mode is active, I was able to use the drawbars (with the help of a MIDI Solutions box) and get the high trigger point.  The main downside is that it's heavy.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I`ve tested the Krome 61 (which seems to have the same keybed as the 73).

@Mighty Motif Max is right..., he said ... "the keys becoming significantly stiffer towards the rear of the keys", which left me a little disapointed. Also the keyboard is too "plastic", including body and the keys itself (I have "shinny & toyish" keys). Loved the joystick though, very responsive.

Therefore my saga continues...

• Like 1

I will say that though the Krome has a lot of plastic it's actually pretty well built IMO. It always felt sturdier than the MX61 or even my PC4.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

10 hours ago, dalpozlead said:

anyone familiar with the Roland Juno Stage keybed? I have a preety decent deal here... tks!!

It's okay.  The keys are a little longer than its counterpart at the time--the Juno-G, which makes the Stage a little more comfortable to play.  No aftertouch, though.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud