Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

Well, I'm a little less inclined to whine about the Chargers' depth than I was a few weeks ago, now that Salyer has proven to be a capable backup left tackle, various receivers chipped in to make up for Keenan Allen being out, etc.

Meanwhile, the streaker want to sue Bobby Wagner.  Still a mystery as to how security let him bring a flare-like device with him into the stadium in the first place.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fan-leveled-bobby-wagner-levi-182817387.html

17 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Well, I'm a little less inclined to whine about the Chargers' depth than I was a few weeks ago, now that Salyer has proven to be a capable backup left tackle, various receivers chipped in to make up for Keenan Allen being out, etc.

Meanwhile, the streaker want to sue Bobby Wagner.  Still a mystery as to how security let him bring a flare-like device with him into the stadium in the first place.

Your Chargers charging along is an example of when *next man up* goes well. 

No mystery to me that dude was able to get past security with a flare-like device. 

Most folks would be surprised at the number of firearms and weapons and incendiary devices brought into venues.

While it's a step up from big box stores, sports arenas are still soft targets i.e. places that do not have the highest levels of security protocols. 

The folks wearing  those yellow Event windbreakers and waving wands aren't highly trained in security.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The impression I got from the video was that Bobby Wagner could see the security peeps struggling to catch the streaker.   Security peeps were making him look like Barry Sanders.

Wagner takes down elusive runners for a living.  He looks like he just thought he'd help out by ending the chase quickly.

16 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

The impression I got from the video was that Bobby Wagner could see the security peeps struggling to catch the streaker.

Absolutely.  Despite Wagner's alert thinking and helpfulness and the fact that dude was clearly in the wrong, I wouldn't be surprised in this litigious society if the streaker won his lawsuit.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Man, what a pathetic Thursday Night Football game! As Al Michaels said, this was the first time in NFL history when two quarterbacks who had each been to the Pro Bowl at least four times failed to score a single touchdown between them. 

Russell Wilson threw away the game ... twice — once in regulation and once in overtime, in this "Bad Football Bowl." Richard Sherman was (unsurprisingly) livid in the postgame coverage, after Wilson's performance triggered his Super Bowl PTSD.

Broncos fan though I may be, I have to say that both teams deserved to lose tonight; but Denver deserved it more. Here's hoping for better days ahead.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

45 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

Man, what a pathetic Thursday Night Football game!

Agreed.

Both defenses played well but their respective offenses were terrible.

I'd imagine that game had both veteran QBs wondering if the grass is truly greener with another team.

The Seahawks look brilliant for letting QB Russell Wilson find a new home. 

It's still early in the football season. Maybe the Colts can fix their porous o-line.

Likewise, maybe the Broncos offense can find their rhythm.

There’s talent on the Colts and Broncos teams. Its just not clicking on the offensive side of the ball. 😎

• Like 1

PD

Matt Ryan looked more in sync with his receivers, compared to Russell Wilson.  

As noted, Ryan was held back more by his porous pass protection.

Wilson not being in sync with his receivers looks like a coaching issue.   Maybe they should cut down the playbook to the ones where QB and receivers are on the same page, and phase in the other plays as all parties involved increase their comfort level.

I've seen this before with the Chargers, during their own period of fruitless searching for a franchise QB.  They'd bring in a veteran QB.  The new QB with throw to a different part of the field than the WR because the WR though he was supposed to run to the other part.   This was particularly bad with Kevin Gilbride as the coach - he expected everyone to know his full playbook right away, and on top of that was terrible at communication.

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Wilson not being in sync with his receivers looks like a coaching issue.   Maybe they should cut down the playbook to the ones where QB and receivers are on the same page, and phase in the other plays as all parties involved increase their comfort level.

First, I doubt that HC/OC Nate Hackett has a sophisticated playbook. He has a hard enough time managing the game.  His play-calling leaves much to be desired.🤣

QB Russell Wilson has been in the league for 10 years with a number of accolades under his belt.  He has run every offensive play there is in football.  He was coached by Pete Carroll who is one of the best in the business.  Look at QB Geno Smith flourishing in Seattle after years as a journeyman. 

The decisions QB Wilson made in throwing the ball last night were totally uncharacteristic of a veteran QB who is accustomed to winning. The commentators even remarked that he didn't make those bad throws early in his career.

The Broncos 4th and 1 in the red zone should have been a running play.  *If* QB Wilson was going to throw a pass, it should not have been anywhere in the vicinity of DB Stephon Gilmore who had just picked his pocket.  WR K. J. Hamler was wide open on that play.  

The Seattle Seahawks were able to play to QB Wilson's strengths and overcome the deficiencies in his game.  The Broncos haven't figured that out yet. 😎

PD

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

First, I doubt that HC/OC Nate Hackett has a sophisticated playbook. He has a hard enough time managing the game.  His play-calling leaves much to be desired.🤣

QB Russell Wilson has been in the league for 10 years with a number of accolades under his belt.  He has run every offensive play there is in football.  He was coached by Pete Carroll who is one of the best in the business.  Look at QB Geno Smith flourishing in Seattle after years as a journeyman. 

The decisions QB Wilson made in throwing the ball last night were totally uncharacteristic of a veteran QB who is accustomed to winning. The commentators even remarked that he didn't make those bad throws early in his career.

The Broncos 4th and 1 in the red zone should have been a running play.  *If* QB Wilson was going to throw a pass, it should not have been anywhere in the vicinity of DB Stephon Gilmore who had just picked his pocket.  WR K. J. Hamler was wide open on that play.  

The Seattle Seahawks were able to play to QB Wilson's strengths and overcome the deficiencies in his game.  The Broncos haven't figured that out yet. 😎

I think we're on the same page here.

Some coaches are better than others at integrating a newly acquired, yet experienced, battle-tested QB in their system.  No question about that.

Hackett lacks Carroll's experience but will have to solve this problem soon.  The patience of Broncos ownership/management is not infinite.

Wilson has one of the best arms in the business; but at 5’11”, he’s got to have trouble seeing past linemen who are on average nearly a half-foot taller. In the past, I’m sure his mobility helped him get a clear view down the field; but I imagine it wouldn’t hurt to have more plays that were designed to help him see from the pocket.

Best,

Geoff

@Geoff Grace, tough sledding for the Packers today.  Outscored 17-0 by the G-Men in the 2nd half. 

I thought it would be an easy win for the Packers.  An example of any given Sunday.  Quietly, the Giants are 4-1. 😁😎

PD

Commanders had 1st and goal, needing to score a TD to beat the Titans.  3 passing plays in a row, without even one inside handoff or other rushing attempt.  

All ended with a game-sealing pick.  It was a hard fought game with occasional big plays.

Just saw the Chargers won.  Pundits expected the Browns' Chubb to run all over them, and he did inflict quite a bit of damage.  The surprise was Ekeler outrushing him 173 yds to Chubb's 134.   Came down to a last second missed FG for the Chargers to escape from Cleveland - they'll have to take it.

48 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Commanders had 1st and goal, needing to score a TD to beat the Titans.  3 passing plays in a row, without even one inside handoff or other rushing attempt.  

As a fan and huge proponent of the running game, I was totally blown that despite having no timeouts left, with 4 downs and 19 seconds left, the Commanders didn't run at least once. For that reason, it was appropriate that they threw an INT to seal their well-deserved loss.😎

PD

7 hours ago, ProfD said:

@Geoff Grace, tough sledding for the Packers today.  Outscored 17-0 by the G-Men in the 2nd half. 

I thought it would be an easy win for the Packers.  An example of any given Sunday.  Quietly, the Giants are 4-1. 😁😎

Thanks, ProfD. The Packers looked great in the first half, but the Giants completely had their number in the second half.

My condolences for the Commanders' loss today. The NFC East knocked off my two favorite teams. It would have been helpful if they could have beaten the Commanders' rivals.

Best,

Geoff

This just in: the Rams aren't going back to the SB. No way. They look pathetic. Stafford was off on many of his throws, they have zero run game, they don't know how to get Robinson involved, and the OL is a mess. 

And WTH happened to Matt Ryan and Russel Wilson? They put on a clinic of QB suck Thurs. 

26 minutes ago, bill5 said:

This just in: the Rams aren't going back to the SB. No way. They look pathetic. Stafford was off on many of his throws, they have zero run game, they don't know how to get Robinson involved, and the OL is a mess. 

Agreed.  The retirement of T Andrew Whitworth took a chunk out of the Rams o-line and locker room.  The offense has become one dimensional with most plays running through WR Cooper Kupp.  They're another team that should be using their running game.  The defense keeps them from getting blown out in games.  It will be interesting to see what genius HC Sean McVay comes up with to make the offense more productive.😎

PD

On 10/9/2022 at 4:15 PM, GovernorSilver said:

The right call IMO. No time outs, about what 20 secs left - if they run, they'll get one more shot at most. With the pass, they had at least three shots. Credit the Titan D.

I'm still not a believer in the Giants. GB isn't very good and NY has yet to beat a good team. They are improved for sure, but not "back" yet. I think the Ravens will hand them their head.

Panthers fired HC and DC. I think coaches get too much credit when the team wins and too much blame when they lose, but that's the NFL. The Bronco and Colts coaches are probably also on a short leash...

Edit: IMO this guy is an idiot. Some of his comments lead me to believe he didn't even see the games he comments on or has even see the teams here play at all this year. And having teams like the Dolphins (starting QB out) and Bengals on here but not the Colts is laughable. https://www.nfl.com/news/time-to-panic-broncos-rams-packers-among-nfl-teams-under-pressure-after-slow-sta

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

The right call IMO. No time outs, about what 20 secs left - if they run, they'll get one more shot at most. With the pass, they had at least three shots. Credit the Titan D.

I would have at least tried running on the very last play - be it a draw or something else.  After 2 pass attempts in a row, they might be thinking a 3rd is coming, so there's a chance to catch them there.   Since it's the last play, you'll be out of time either way.

Titan D did step up at that most critical juncture, so yeah credit to them.

• Like 1

Horrible roughing the passer calls.

First, Tom Brady gets a gift flag yesterday. Tonight, QB Derek Carr gets sacked and they flag it. 

Even former WB Troy Aikman acknowledged that they're going overboard in protecting QBs.

Refs should not be determining the outcome of games.

The NFL is heading towards flag football especially when it comes to QBs.😎

• Like 1

PD

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

The NFL is heading towards flag football especially when it comes to QBs.😎

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is indeed the future of the game. I agree that the referees are calling penalties unfairly, considering the rules in place; but I think this is the reason why:

Tua Tagovailoa's high-profile injury probably scared the hell out of a lot of parents; and the NFL is worried that if parents stop letting their kids play football, then there won't be a next generation of football fans. How many people are loyal fans of sports they never played? I know I played football, basketball, and baseball as a kid; and those are the sports I watch on TV now.

Football is the most dangerous of popular American childhood sports. I can see a real chance of parents steering their kids toward safer alternatives—especially considering news cycles like we just had: repeatedly watching Tua's knees buckle, his head crashing to the ground, and his hands seizing up.

Best,

Geoff

Football has always been a dangerous sport. Injuries including broken limbs, spinal cord damage and concussions have been a part of the game. 

Without getting too political, modern rules have been changed to favor QBs moreso than make the game safer.

Along the same lines, I believe people who anit-football put a bullseye on CTE (concussions) to go after a sport that's always been violent. 

But, for decades and counting, parents have always made the final decision of whether or not to let their children play football knowing the risks. 

I'm a fan of pro Boxing as well. A sport ripe for concussions. They wear head gear through the amateur ranks and when they train for a fight.

Pro bouts are monitored by  ringside doctors. There are protocols in place to get an injured boxer medical attention quickly. But, no one is insisting they wear head gear during a prize-fight.

I'm hoping that the juxtaposition between changes to concussion protocols and ticky tack roughing the passer calls will force folks to stand up and say...do not play this game if you're afraid to take a serious hit or worse.

Beyond that...no wearing flags. Pro football is a man's game. 😎

• Like 1

PD

With all due respect Prof, I don’t think we truly were aware of the full extent of damage head trauma can cause. I think we’re still figuring it out, although we have a better idea. The NHL is dealing with the same situation here, former players and families of deceased former players are lining up to sue. It’s tough to say how much the game will change (both sports already have in many ways) but beyond the immediate effects like we saw with Tua, some of scariest stuff IMO is the behavioural changes seen in guys years after their careers end. Not to get too dark, but I feel like we hear of former players in either league committing suicide (and sometimes taking others with them) at least once a year. Anyway, none of us are gonna solve it here, but just thought I’d jump in. The science is a fair bit further than it was even ten years ago, never mind thirty or forty years ago.

• Like 2

Analytics are kicking these head coaches in the pants. 😁

Some teams are more aggressive than others in going for it on 4th down.

But, it's ridiculous to rely on a *kid* with a laptop to determine the probability of a successful conversion.

That approach to play-calling and game management seems more Big Bang Theory nerdy than NFL football. 🤣

Old school coaches relied on their gut and intuition and defense. 😎

• Like 2

PD

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Analytics are kicking these head coaches in the pants. 😁

Some teams are more aggressive than others in going for it on 4th down.

But, it's ridiculous to rely on a *kid* with a laptop to determine the probability of a successful conversion.

That approach to play-calling and game management seems more Big Bang Theory nerdy than NFL football. 🤣

Old school coaches relied on their gut and intuition and defense. 😎

Welcome to the 21st century Sheldon. Be afraid. 

If we're really going to go down the Snowflake road, then just disband the NFL. I'd rather that than turn it into some diluted pile of touchy feely BS. As stated earlier, yes, football is a violent sport. Injuries are a risk. Welcome to football and welcome to life. Anyone who can't handle that (a disturbingly fast-growing percentage of society) should watch something else. Certainly err on the side of caution with player safety, but common sense should come into play as to the degree of it. Sadly, common sense is fast becoming the ultimate oxymoron. If you're going to throw a flag every time a QB is hit cleanly or call "targeting" every time a defender's helmet come into contact with a player he's tackling (go figure!), screw it, just end the sport and we can all go watch tennis or the "sport" of poker or whatever. 

• Like 1

As a parent, I'm very glad my kids never decided to play football.  I would have tried to talk them out of it.   Now, they did play soccer which has a concussion problem too--this is why in many leagues heading the ball is not allowed before certain ages (in the local rec leagues, 12 years old).   

As far as flag football, adult flag football is quite dangerous.

Football is not some necessary part of life, it's entertainment.   We are paying our money for modern gladiators to basically mortgage their future for our watching enjoyment.  It's always been this way but recent science is showing just how much damage these humans are doing to themselves.   As long as everyone is all right with that, and the players have the information, so be it.   I don't think terrible calls are the answer either but I understand why they are making the attempt to keep people safe.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Football is not some necessary part of life, it's entertainment.   We are paying our money for modern gladiators to basically mortgage their future for our watching enjoyment.  

A gladiator is an armed combatant who entertains an audience by fighting. 

Football players are trained to run, block and tackle; throw and catch a ball. 

every now and then, emotion runs high and they do get into fights but considering the amount of gear they wear...it's never a real fight.🤣

The hits and collisions make football a violent sport but most games are played without severe and/or life-threatening injuries.

But, you're right...football is just one form of entertainment.  Uninterested folks have a number of options to entertain themselves.😎

• Like 1

PD

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

As far as flag football, adult flag football is quite dangerous.

Hardly. I've played flag football. Granted it isn't 300 lb hulks out on the field, but take away the tackling, and while there still is some contact, it's light years away from regular football.

Football is not some necessary part of life, it's entertainment.   We are paying our money for modern gladiators to basically mortgage their future for our watching enjoyment. 

Also not true. Playing even just a few years guarantees that player exiting the NFL as a multi-millionaire with their whole future still ahead. Seriously long-term crippling injuries are very much the exception. 

Anyway, back to the games...

Did anyone else shake their head in disbelief at that Raiders vs Chiefs game? I couldn't believe the Raiders went for two at the end. Good call McDaniels!