Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

This is playoff football!

Under adversity, injuries, etc.  the winners always have their biggest stars come through.   Chris Jones came up huge.  Kelce ignored his bad back to make plays.  Mahomes, just like Bruce Lee, showed that he can hurt you with his arm, even if his legs are limited.

Credit to the Bengals to the great season they had to follow up their Super Bowl appearance.

No doubt we'll see a lot more Mahomes vs. Burrow in the future, just like we used to enjoy Brady vs. Manning, come AFC playoff time.  But we also have Josh Allen too - that makes today's AFC QB rivalries more fun than Brady v. Manning.

On to the Kelce vs Kelce Superbowl, lol!

• Like 2

Shame about the ticky tack penalty at the end that helped decide the game. Looks like Cincy needs to invest even more in OL in the off season. 

Bills need more supporting characters. Outside of Diggs, no receivers there scare anyone, and they don't have a legit RB either. Also they need someone who can really wreck havoc on the edge on D. 

#58 shoving Mahomes when he was already out of bounds was a dumb mistake, sure.     But Mahomes would have gotten the job done one way or another because he's the magician QB whose moves are being copied by even Brady.   😄

Bengals will no doubt bolster their roster in the offseason, but so will the Chiefs.   The winner of their future confrontations will be decided by who outfoxes who, not overwhelming difference in player talent.  

Both teams are well coached.  Bengals got over on the Chiefs three consecutive times.  They can't outsmart Andy Reid,  Spags, Patrick Mahomes, and Co. forever though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

The “loose lips sink ships” adage seems to hold true. Whoever leaked the clever “Burrowhead” comment really fired up the Chiefs.

Best,

Geoff

Not much of a leak though when Hilton was caught on film saying it.  Then again, he probably knew about Burrow wearing a Chiefs helmet with pride as a little boy.   Not uncommon for a kid to dream of either playing for his favorite team, or against it if the first option doesn't happen.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/bengals-vs-chiefs-well-see-you-all-in-burrowhead/IA7WTFOAMVERBJPNZAQPKDYR7Q/

The AFC championship was a good game. Played as expected by those teams. 

Chiefs DC Steve Spagnuolo makes questionable calls leading to big plays. As a result, they give up too many unnecessary points.

The Eagles defense will put a lot more pressure on the Chiefs. Hopefully, Mahomes will be less hobbled in two weeks. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Eagles have the health advantage.

Chiefs were down to 3 WRs and only rookies playing CB if I heard the announcers right - the injury concerns of Mahomes and Kelce aside.   But unlike the 28 other NFL teams sitting at home and watching, Reid and his assistants know how to adjust for situations like that. 

6 hours ago, bill5 said:

Shame about the ticky tack penalty at the end that helped decide the game. Looks like Cincy needs to invest even more in OL in the off season. 

Bills need more supporting characters. Outside of Diggs, no receivers there scare anyone, and they don't have a legit RB either. Also they need someone who can really wreck havoc on the edge on D. 

It wasn't a ticky tact penalty. What game were YOU watching? Bengals #58 Ossal clearly hit Mahomes who was WAY out of bounds. He is a 2nd year player.
I wonder where he will be playing next season? What a STUPID penalty. He Lost the game for the Bengals. That said, the Chiefs were the better team, no doubt.

Once again Brotha Prof D called it.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah it was. What game were YOU watching? He wasn't "way out of bounds," he was just going out of bounds as the guy got there and got just a little  shove, not like he pancaked Mahomes. I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty, but I've seen worse not get called. As for losing the game for the Bengals, we'll never know for sure...they had 8 seconds left, easily enough time for the Chiefs to run one more play to get closer, and even if not, they have a great FG kicker who could've made one from farther out anyway.

I didn't know you were blind too. Better look at the replay instead of demonstrating you can't admit you're WRONG. Mahomes was already off the playing field when he knocked him to the ground.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

surfergirl beat me to it, but I'm gonna chat anyway.

A surprise twist as Moore was interviewing for HC jobs, and does not come out of the Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay school of offense.   

OTOH, he got Dak Prescott to pilot a very productive offense on a consistent basis, and has several years of OC experience, while the other OC candidates would have been a first-time OC with the Chargers.    

Given what he did with Prescott, it should be easy to imagine what he'll be able to do with Justin Herbert.  

• Like 1

OC Kellen Moore mutually parted ways with the Cowbums and gets away from Jerrah knowing he'll land a better OC gig elsewhere.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

4 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

I didn't know you were blind too. Better look at the replay instead of demonstrating you can't admit you're WRONG. Mahomes was already off the playing field when he knocked him to the ground.

You want to disagree fine, but ther'es no need for childish name calling. Not going back and forth with you any more on this, believe whatever you want.

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

@GovernorSilver, the Chargers may have landed the right OC.  Let's hope they get another WR and TE to shore up that receiving corps.😎

At least one WR! What they have can't stay healthy and Allen is getting a little long in the tooth anyway. 

I wonder how good of shape Kellen Winslow is in :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

@GovernorSilver, the Chargers may have landed the right OC.  Let's hope they get another WR and TE to shore up that receiving corps.😎

Kellen Moore doesn't have a CeeDee Lamb on his new team for those deep pass routes.  No doubt he'll add his voice to the chorus of demands for a gamebreaker WR.

Everett has been serviceable as a TE but they do need another one because Tre McKitty has not panned out as a blocker or as a receiver, and Parham is made of glass.

Just learned that Moore has already worked with Herbert before. 

Hope their real life working relationship doesn't turn out like the last 10 sec.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:19 AM, MikeT156 said:

It wasn't a ticky tact penalty. What game were YOU watching? Bengals #58 Ossal clearly hit Mahomes who was WAY out of bounds. He is a 2nd year player.
I wonder where he will be playing next season? What a STUPID penalty. He Lost the game for the Bengals. That said, the Chiefs were the better team, no doubt.

Once again Brotha Prof D called it.

Agreed. By any standard, that was a stupid penalty. Mahomes was indeed way out of bounds, with Ossai understanding that he had made a horrible mistake. You can see in the replay where Mahomes is well out of bounds, and Ossai is still winding up and following through, throwing him to the ground with such force that he actually injured himself as well. I couldn't believe that the guy would do that on any play, but on THAT play, it was beyond stupid. Bengals fans know that it was a stupid play as well and have been brutal to him on social media and elsewhere, and Ossai feels really bad about his mistake. But yeah, live and learn, I guess.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 10.43.08 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 10.42.50 AM.jpg

• Like 1

Very sad my Niners were thumped, and even more sad that young Brock now needs to go under the knife. While I may be in the minority in our fanbase, I count the season a success on many levels, of course disappointing we didn't make it to the big game. Onward to next year, congrats to the Eagles. Super Bowl should be competitive and entertaining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timwat said:

Very sad my Niners were thumped, and even more sad that young Brock now needs to go under the knife. While I may be in the minority in our fanbase, I count the season a success on many levels, of course disappointing we didn't make it to the big game.

Brotha @timwat, your 49ers had a great season all things considered. 

It was a bummer that QB Brock Purdy got injured in the biggest game. I hope that he's healthy and ready for next season.

It was not mean for HC/OC Kyle Shananan to catch lightning in a bottle with a 4th string, 13-team (3 times 49er) journeyman QB Josh Johnson. 

I still think HC Shanahan deserves Head Coach of the Year.  The 49ers overcame QB odds in making it to the playoffs.😎

PD

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

I still think HC Shanahan deserves Head Coach of the Year.  The 49ers overcame QB odds in making it to the playoffs.😎

Agreed. 

In other head coaching breaking news : Sean Payton done with broadcasting for the near future

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-saints-broncos-agree-to-trade-to-make-sean-payton-denvers-head-coach-212215969.html

:nopity:

DeMeco Ryan's to The Texans. I hope he takes my favorite 49er, Trey Lance, with him. Lance has been treated poorly by the San Francisco media. Trey has been on the sidelines cheering on his team and encouraging  his replacement, he deserves some respect. Jimmy Garoppolo nowhere to be seen. The 49ers owe it to Trey to trade him now. Maybe he doesn't fit the image of a 49ers QB. What he does fit is the image of Jalen Hurts.

Jennifer S.

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

That was some amazing coaching, that's for sure.

26 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

DeMeco Ryan's to The Texans. I hope he takes my favorite 49er, Trey Lance, with him. Lance has been treated poorly by the San Francisco media. The 49ers owe it to Trey to trade him now. Maybe he doesn't fit the image of a 49ers QB. 

The Houston Texans are a sh8tty organization and a dumpster fire.  I was hoping Demeco Ryans would not take that heading coaching job.

While QB Trey Lance probably needs to find another team considering the emergence of the 49ers rookie QB, I wouldn't send him to the Texans either.  

I think QB Trey Lance would be a good fit with the Falcons or Titans. 😎

PD

Lance isn't going anywhere, doubly so now that Purdy is an injury concern. Those two will duke it out for the starting QB gig.

Texans did well to hire Ryans. Bronco fans have to love getting Payton, but it was a costly move. Time will tell if that was the right one. They best hope they didn't make another mistake to cover up the first one (getting Wilson). 

On 1/29/2023 at 5:10 PM, Dave Bryce said:

Philly’s D was amazing today.  It wasn’t just luck that got the two SF QBs injured - it was the fact that the D was relentless.  Look at SF’s total yardage.

All the penalties on SF’s D were a huge factor. 

dB

Agreed.  Nothing is just luck in the NFL.  If Purdy hadn't been injured this would have been a heckuva game. 

However, the tone of the whole game was set when the Refs blew the dropped pass call prior to Eagles first touchdown.  This combined with Purdy's injury set off the 9ers into meltdown mode.

Since playoffs are one-and-done, I would modify the rules to allow unlimited replay on key plays.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I believe Tom Brady has retired for good from playing football this time.  He will be on a mic in September.

I hope DC Steve Wilks lands that job opening with the 49ers.  I think he will be a great fit there.😎

• Like 2

PD

I would be super surprised if Brady were to "un-retire". I wonder how much he wishes he would have stayed retired? This seemed like a miserable year for him, and he looked visibly frustrated in all the games I saw him play.

• Like 1