Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

Rumor out of Pittsburgh is that Byron is on his way to see Mike Tomlin. We can find a place for him.

Yeah and Brady should call it a Career. All things must Pass.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Dang, full on house cleaning in Tampa

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2023/01/19/bucs-fire-offensive-coordinator-byron-leftwich/

Only 2 assistants kept their jobs.  Everyone else fired or retired.  Clyde Christiansen was OC in the final years of Tony Dungy's regime.

Bowles also said that Brady takes up so much cap space, they can't bring in any help through free agency.

I find it strange that nearly 100% of commentators hold the "Brady Line", that he is still the the best QB in the league but that he wouldn't be appropriate for teams in rebuilding mode.  

He'd only be appropriate for "mercenary teams" that need a SB win statistic.   It's almost like they're worried if they say, "Brady is Done", they'll be smashed in the head at the dinner table behind their back with a baseball bat, given that Brady effectively runs the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

I find it strange that nearly 100% of commentators hold the "Brady Line", that he is still the the best QB in the league but that he wouldn't be appropriate for teams in rebuilding mode.  

He'd only be appropriate for "mercenary teams" that need a SB win statistic.   It's almost like they're worried if they say, "Brady is Done", they'll be smashed in the head at the dinner table behind their back with a baseball bat, given that Brady effectively runs the NFL.

I didn't bother looking for a comments section in that article.  All those popups and general gawdawful web page design made me just want to get the hell off that page as soon as I was finished reading the text content.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

I didn't bother looking for a comments section in that article.  All those popups and general gawdawful web page design made me just want to get the hell off that page as soon as I was finished reading the text content.

I heard it first on ESPN radio and then discovered it's the "White House talking points" after poking around.

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

8 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

I heard it first on ESPN radio and then discovered it's the "White House talking points" after poking around.

ESPN has a bunch of commentators who are just paid to act like clowns and yell at each other.   I looked one of them up for example and he used to be respectable sports reporter covering the 76ers, then he realized he could make more money yelling and screaming at other guys on ESPN.

I admit that I sometimes watch them... to get a laugh or too.   They're all a comedy act.

Buddy of mine recommended a sports youtuber who is actually worth watching but I forgot his name.

44 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

Rumor out of Pittsburgh is that Byron is on his way to see Mike Tomlin. We can find a place for him.

It would be great if he came home to DC but landing back with the Steelers would be a nice move considering his ties there. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Maybe Matt Canada's job is not as secure as he thought. I can tell you he is not the most popular guy in Pittsburgh, although the Steelers started looking like a Team instead of the JR Team from the first half of the season.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

34 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

It's not just the TV talking head idiots. If someone, anyone, said Brady* is the second coming of Christ, few would dare disagree. Every time he wins you get the "GOAT" crap shoved in your face 500 times. If he loses....."well he didn't have the support he needed not his fault." It's beyond nauseating but whatever....

ESPN has a bunch of commentators who are just paid to act like clowns and yell at each other.

Yes but it's hardly limited to ESPN. I never watch pre-game, post-game, or halftime shows. They're all annoying circus clowns. What is this bizarre obsession with feeling like they have to be funny all the time anyway? This is sports reporting, not a sitcom. Radio talk shows are even worse. It just amazes me that such idiocy is popular. 

I watch Chris Simms unbuttoned on the internet every week. I don't care for his some time sidekick Mike Florio, so i watch his Podcasts without Florio. Normally his show is an hour and a half. He does in depth analysis of each team, discusses their weaknesses and strengths, and is not a lot of fluff. There are people that bad mouth Simms because his career in the NFL was short, but he DOES Know football. Occasionally he brings his father on as a guest and its a great show.

I Also enjoy Colin Cowherd's show. He brings on Guests each week that played football or were coaches, etc. Colin doesn't pretend to have all the answers so he questions his guests that provide great information.

News programming and sports reporting has gone from boring and statistical to highly produced entertainment.

A whole industry has been built around providing information. There are personalities, props, skits and music. 

Never would have predicted news programs and sports talk to become a whole circus complete with a big top tent and clowns.🤣😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

13 minutes ago, ProfD said:

News programming and sports reporting has gone from boring and statistical to highly produced entertainment.

A whole industry has been built around providing entertainment.

FTFY

Sports is no longer primarily about the sports themselves; it's about being "entertaining"...which sadly for many means the circus clown BS we're bombarded with now as for many the sport, the competition, itself isn't enough anymore. ESPN has led the way in this nonsense. This is why despite following various sports to varying degrees, if all major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) went away tomorrow, I'd throw a party to celebrate and take great delight in hearing how fomer sports stars are now digging ditches or making $40K a year as Jr High School coaches/"teachers."

41 minutes ago, ProfD said:

A whole industry has been built around providing information. There are personalities, props, skits and music. 

Never would have predicted news programs and sports talk to become a whole circus complete with a big top tent and clowns.🤣😎

Yeah I remember when FOX NFL decided to go comedy and brought in Jimmy Kimmel as the clown against the true cast of clowns.

Now they've jumped the shark and are doing dance steps on the playtime field. 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Buddy of mine recommended a sports youtuber who is actually worth watching but I forgot his name.

Ok it was actually 2 YT channels.  This one had a take on both Brady and Rogers.  He tends to focus more on sport history (eg. "What happened to Darren Sharper", "The real Michael Oher story", etc.) than current events, so this vid actually breaks his pattern a bit.

As for the other channel, it covers several different sports like baseball, golf, etc. as well as NFL football.

Both Brady and Rogers should retire, their Best Days are behind them. Before too long there will be no teams willing to pay them and will HAVE to Retire.

4 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

Both Brady and Rogers should retire, their Best Days are behind them. Before too long there will be no teams willing to pay them and will HAVE to Retire.

They will get lucrative contracts in the clown, er, broadcasting business.😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

Brady already has a 300 million dollar broadcasting job waiting for him, he should take it.

Rogers? He does not have the VOICE for that kind of job, AND he's too self centered, egotistical. and selfish to be a broadcaster.

7 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

Rogers? He does not have the VOICE for that kind of job, AND he's too self centered, egotistical. and selfish to be a broadcaster.

Despite his personality, Aaron Rodgers is a smart dude.  He won't sit in the broadcast booth like Troy Aikman or Tony Romo. 

AR could end up with a podcast or a gig similar to Peyton and Eli Manning.  Sportscasters will invite him to sit at the desk and get his perspective as it relates to QB play. 

IMO, the NFL will not let AR as a future Hall of Famer sit at home and not be involved in the game one way or another.  The ball will still be in his court.😎

PD

I think Troy and Romo do a decent Job on the air. Not so much Romo, but Troy has the smarts, the voice, and the ladies love him.

If Rogers was ever on a TV show broadcasting, I would change the channel.

As of today, ten (10) NFL offensive coordinators (OC) have been fired. 

The latest fired OC is Greg Roman.  Over the past 4 years, OC Roman had been the play caller for the Baltimore Ravens.  Roman is a run heavy OC.  That worked for QB Lamar Jackson's style of play.

While the NFL has become pass happy, many teams would benefit from a better running game.  The Washington Commanders is a team that could benefit from a 2:1 run-pass ratio especially if going into next season with QBs Taylor Heinicke and Sam Howell under center. 

The Commanders have a great running back committee.    They also have a solid WR/TE corps that would benefit from a strong running game as well.

Head Coach Ron Rivera and the front office definitely have to interview OC Greg Roman before they make a final decision.  Hiring OC Roman could save HC Rivera's job.😎

PD

The Commanders have a solid team. Defense is excellent, the offense could use a reliable QB. Many other teams in the NFL are in the same boat.  Are the Commanders stuck with paying all that money to Wentz. Is it one more year? You probably told me already but if he's on the team next season that is money lost.

I would like to know the outcome of the meeting between Coach and Leftwich. Brady complained about the Offense, saying it was disorganized and did not pay attention to details. He didn't play well and threw some PICS. The Press never blames Brady.

It looks like the Steelers made the committeewomen to keep Canada another year. I don't know if he signed a contract or not. I Hope there is room for Leftwich.

45 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

The Commanders have a solid team. Defense is excellent, the offense could use a reliable QB. Many other teams in the NFL are in the same boat.  Are the Commanders stuck with paying all that money to Wentz. Is it one more year? You probably told me already but if he's on the team next season that is money lost.

QB Carson Wentz is definitely out of DC or should be with no money owed to him.  The Commanders will not be stuck with a bill.

The two QBs on the Commanders roster could be serviceable with the right OC calling plays. A run-heavy offense protects the QB. 

Exhibit A...San Francisco 49ers.  Part of the play-calling genius of HC Kyle Shanahan is showing run formations and throwing the ball.  The 49ers will put a WR in the back-field and/or line a RB as a wideout.  Brilliant play designs.😎

• Like 2

PD

2 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

I think Troy and Romo do a decent Job on the air. Not so much Romo, but Troy has the smarts, the voice, and the ladies love him.

I think Romo is easily the best color commentator out there. In fact I even hear others trying to copy his style now. Aikman runs hot and cold IMO. 

But I really miss guys like Keith Jackson and Curt Gowdy...nobody today is half as good as either

Yeah they were great broadcasters. I knew of Jackson's bad behavior when he visited Penn State, but I won't repeat it here, he's dead. I Loved Gowdy. What gets me upset are the Sports programs on the tube that are yelling contests.

36 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I think Romo is easily the best color commentator out there.

Agreed.  Romo is the man.  Especially for football fans who understand the game beyond what they see on the field. 

Romo's knowledge of the game and breakdown of plays on both sides of the ball and enthusiasm on the call makes him a treat.

Jim Nance is different from Al Michaels but IMO, Nance is the perfect sidekick for Romo.

I can watch football games with the volume turned up with Romo/Nance calling them.😁😎

PD

I never cared for Romo as a player so that clouds my judgement of him as a Broadcaster. As an Italian once I dislike someone, there is no redemption.

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I like Romo's gravelly voice.  More often than not, he's on point - hardly any wasted verbiage or silliness

Yeah and he's not into any stupid "gimmicks" to get people to like him. He doesn't need them. He knows the game and has an enthusiasm for it that comes through without being over the top.