Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

Two TD's constitutes a GREAT Game. The Giants did a lot of PA and someone had to guard Barkely even when he was not getting the ball. Jones Played a great game too. He ran for 70 yards and threw for 2 TDs.

Sunday's games where better than the Saturday games. Very competitive.

Playoff football is the BEST. Its win or go home.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Lots of talk on Internet Sports Shows about the Future of Rogers. He's getting the blame for the Packers LOSING this season. Many Sports shows are sharpening their axes to behead All ABOUT ME Rogers.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

About time. He's a shell of his former self and if he was smart he'd retire (I mean really retire, not "Brady* retire" lol). 

I forget if anyone said but Stroud made it official recently that he is entering the draft. Texans will likely take Young (if the Bears don't) and really any you could make a case for almost any of the next half-dozen or so teams taking him, although AZ seems unlikely. I also think DET will seriously consider offering Goff a new contract.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:34 PM, bill5 said:

ugh sorry. I'd be spitting rivets if I was a Charger fan. 

Chargers need to reload at WR next year and hopefully find someone who can stay healthy!

I'm in Los Angeles. Bear in mind that most people in Los Angeles don't really follow the Chargers all that much. But their fans are often saying, "Chargers being Chargers!" while many are calling for Staley's head. They are already filled with ideas for who might replace him.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:59 AM, HammondDave said:

Dolphins suck… again! Pathetic. 

Didn't they play the Bills really close with a back-up QB and an okay defense? 

1 hour ago, MikeT156 said:

Lots of talk on Internet Sports Shows about the Future of Rogers. He's getting the blame for the Packers LOSING this season. Many Sports shows are sharpening their axes to behead All ABOUT ME Rogers.

I don't think about Rodgers very much, but I can tell you that I've never liked the guy and his "all about me" sort of approach. He does appear to live inside Bears fans' heads, though, as they gloat at how the Packers have imploded at every opportunity. Anyway, if he goes, it'll be interesting to see how Love plays. I know we've seen glimpses of him, but I mean more long-term.

• Like 1

I don't like Rogers one bit. He's selfish and greedy. Blame someone else when the team loses. I would like to see him traded and a new QB gets to play for Title Town.

I remember watching their Championships back in the day, no one could beat teem for years. Those were some great teams. Wisconsin is a pretty state and the people are nice. They deserve better than what they've been getting from Rogers.

I don't think anyone likes Rodgers outside of GB. But he was a great QB. Those days are gone. IMO it was a joke that he won the MVP last year because he wasn't much better if at all than he was this year. The diff was he had superior WRs who kept bailing him out with great catches of not so great throws. 

• Like 1

The Cowbums K Brett Maher has missed 4 extra points in this game.

Unfortunately, the Bums are still beating up the Bucs. 

I doubt this game is the way QB Tom Brady wanted to end his career in Tampa Bay. Oh well...maybe he'll be a 49er next year. 

Bums K Maher may not be playing next week.  He'll get picked up by another team next season.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

33 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The Cowbums K Brett Maher has missed 4 extra points in this game.

https://twitter.com/Statholesports/status/1615186111311278081

Unfortunately, the Bums are still beating up the Bucs. 

I doubt this game is the way QB Tom Brady wanted to end his career in Tampa Bay. Oh well...maybe he'll be a 49er next year. 

Never assume anything about Brady*. For one, the game isn't over. Two, he could be back. And there's no way he's a 49er as they have not one not two but three viable QBs (granted Jimmy is probably gone). 

31 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Never assume anything about Brady*. 

Fair enough regarding TB12. I would be surprised if he decides to come back to the Bucs and that offense.

The 49ers will not have a problem eliminating the Cowbums next week. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Bucs didn't have it tonight. Dallas might be looking for a NEW Kicker.

I still HATE DALLAS. They will get a taste of their own medicine next week.

The Bucs looked awful and lackluster tonight. Not just Brady. Most of the team. 

Russell Gage has a concussion and possible neck injury. Hopefully the guy's gonna be okay.

I don't like the Cowboys or Brady, but I wanted the Cowboys to win nonetheless. 

On Facebook, I posted that I had never seen someone miss four extra points in a row. One of my teacher friends immediately commented, "Well then you’ve never taught middle school PE." :D 

Note: I do actually like numerous football teams. I just don't happen to be commenting on any of the ones I like in the past few posts! Haha!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Fair enough regarding TB12. I would be surprised if he decides to come back to the Bucs and that offense.

The 49ers will not have a problem eliminating the Cowbums next week. 😎

Yeah, I think you're right, the 49ers should be able to handle them without making it close. And Brady will probably either retire (for good) or go with the Raiders or some other team.

"Brady with the Raiders." 

I suppose if you live long enough you might see just about anything.

No matter what happens with my Niners, one doubts Shanahan / Lynch would be interested in spending the coin on an older marquee QB. Here in the Bay Area we are presuming we bid fare thee well to Jimmy G and wish the best for him in his new home, and guess next year will be a competition between Purdy and Lance. My hope is that Purdy cements his place as the #1, as Trey's starts pre-injury looked to me as evidence of what happens when a talented athlete lacks a wealth of actual starts. No such problem with Purdy...although he is certainly not perfect and has much to learn, he seems to have poise, calmness in the moment, and the short memory of mistakes that comes from starts, as well as a grounded humility to boot. He'll lay an egg sooner or later (we hope it's later rather than sooner), but there are a lot worse positions for a team to be in.

And of course it helps he's been dealt a stacked deck on both sides of the ball.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, timwat said:

...competition between Purdy and Lance. My hope is that Purdy cements his place as the #1, as Trey's starts pre-injury looked to me as evidence of what happens when a talented athlete lacks a wealth of actual starts. 

IMO, QB Brock Purdy will go into next season as 49ers QB1.  It will be his job to lose. 

Meanwhile, despite his lack of playing time on tape, QB Trey Lance could garner interest from QB deficient teams.  

I could see QB Trey Lance showing up on the radar of the Titans, Panthers and Jets as a trade destination.

The Falcons could be an outlier if they aren't sold on QB Desmond Ridder.

The Bucs (if QB Brady retires) and Colts will probably go free agents QB Jimmy G or QB Derek Carr. 

It will be interesting to see the moves teams make starting March 15th.😎

• Like 1

PD

1 minute ago, ProfD said:

Meanwhile, despite his lack of playing time on tape, QB Trey Lance could garner interest from QB deficient teams.  

I could see QB Trey Lance showing up on the radar of the Titans, Panthers and Jets as a trade destination.

The interesting thing here is we gave up a bunch of picks to move up to take Lance in the draft (I think he was a top 5 pick in his draft class), and he's still on his rookie contract. Which doesn't make him (or anyone) un-tradeable, but Shanahan / Lynch would be prudent to ask for a tidy sum in a trade, which might be tough to a QB-deficient team given that Trey is still mostly-potential, not historical resume. And if this season teaches Shanahan anything, it's that having a competent QB backup or three in case the injury bug bites makes it easier to sleep at night.

• Like 1

Chargers made one particular move I've been waiting for - the firing of OC Joe Lombardi.   

Yes, the Chargers offense was beset by injuries at critical positions on the OL, as well as WR.  But other teams'  offensive coaches showed they could adjust to injuries by any means necessary, whether by tweaking the scheme in some way, designing new plays, etc.  Lombardi was never able to show he could adjust accordingly, let alone hold his own in a toe to toe chess match against opposing defensive coordinators.

QB coach/passing coordinator Shane Day was also axed.

Brandon Staley appears to be keeping his job.  The right OC hire could help bolster his job security, while of course the wrong choice could cost him this job by this time next year.  Somebody out of the Kyle Shanahan tree would be a good choice.

There's a LOT of Internet Sports commentator shows talking about Tom Brady and if he will go to another team next season and play. Lots of guessing games as to WHERE he will play if he does and debates as to what the best fit would be. I really HATE the fact that Dallas beat his Buc's in the first round. I hope they LOSE Big next week.

FYI Tom Brady has a NEW girlfriend. Looks like he traded in Gisele for a YOUNGER Model and that's what she is, a model in her twenties. She was at the game last night wearing a Tampa Bay number 12 sweat shirt. NICE.

Life in the Fast Lane.

2 hours ago, timwat said:

The interesting thing here is we gave up a bunch of picks to move up to take Lance in the draft (I think he was a top 5 pick in his draft class), and he's still on his rookie contract.

And if this season teaches Shanahan anything, it's that having a competent QB backup or three in case the injury bug bites makes it easier to sleep at night.

You're right.  It would make sense for the 49ers to keep QB Lance even as a backup considering all costs.  But, if the price is right...he's out of there. 😁

48 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Chargers made one particular move I've been waiting for - the firing of OC Joe Lombardi.  

Well Gov, you've gotten your season long wish in Lombardi getting fired. 🤣 

However, neither OC Lombardi's play-calling nor the absence of WR Mike Williams resulted in the Chargers blowing a 27 point lead in a playoff game.  HC Brandon Staley deserves the blame for that colossal meltdown. 😎

PD

48 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Well Gov, you've gotten your season long wish in Lombardi getting fired. 🤣 

However, neither OC Lombardi's play-calling nor the absence of WR Mike Williams resulted in the Chargers blowing a 27 point lead in a playoff game.  HC Brandon Staley deserves the blame for that colossal meltdown. 😎

Plenty of blame to go around.  Does that mean they should have fired Staley, not Lombardi?  I'm gonna answer that with a "no".   Lombardi had to go, with or without Staley being axed along with him.

Joe Lombardi was hardly just a scape goat whose head rolled so that Staley's might be saved.   He should have figured out by the 3rd 3-and-out in a row that he had to change something about his play-calling.   Letting the other team mount a comeback is not just the defense's fault - it's also the offense being unable to score to keep the team ahead, or at least keep the other offense off the field to slow down the bleeding.  No free pass for Joe from me.

The loss of another Mike hurt this team more than Mike Williams - Mike Davis.  The D was able to stymie the Jags short passing game as long as Davis was available.  Once he went down, they didn't have an experienced corner left to man up on the Jags WRs.  Asante Samuel Jr. for all his talent can't play in 2 places at the same time.   Jags feasted on Mike Davis' replacement, a rookie drafted in the 6th round.   

Sure there's a list of could have, should have's on Staley's plate as defensive play caller, but the offense not giving the D a break with decent time of possession sure didn't help.   Joey Bosa got held a lot too.  I'm not big into complaining about the refs though - with just a little more scoring than those pathetic 3 second half points (again, on Lombardi) the zebras would be a non-factor.

48 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Plenty of blame to go around.  Does that mean they should have fired Staley, not Lombardi?  I'm gonna answer that with a "no".   Lombardi had to go, with or without Staley being axed along with him.

Joe Lombardi was hardly just a scape goat whose head rolled so that Staley's might be saved.   He should have figured out by the 3rd 3-and-out in a row that he had to change something about his play-calling. 

As a Commanders fan, I wanted OC Scott Turner fired for similar reasons and they did it.😁

Both HCs Ron Rivera and Brandon Staley are defensive-minded coaches.  I don't think either one of them should have been fired this season despite their teams performance. 

I do think both HCs need to get the OC hire *right* for next season.  No more excuses on the offensive side of the ball.  Even if it means plucking from the HC Kyle Shanahan tree. 😎

PD

31 minutes ago, ProfD said:

As a Commanders fan, I wanted OC Scott Turner fired for similar reasons and they did it.😁

Both HCs Ron Rivera and Brandon Staley are defensive-minded coaches.  I don't think either one of them should have been fired this season despite their teams performance. 

I do think both HCs need to get the OC hire *right* for next season.  No more excuses on the offensive side of the ball.  Even if it means plucking from the HC Kyle Shanahan tree. 😎

Yes, that's pretty much what I've been saying, even down to which tree ought to be plucked from.   

No free pass for Staley, but a change needed to be made at OC, and the new OC better be the right choice or there will be even more turnover in the Chargers organization next year.

Lombardi got played by competent DCs like Jimmy Smith played the Hammond.  New OC should not be as easily played.

25 minutes ago, timwat said:

hey wait a minute there...

You guys have been through this before.   Any longtime Niners fan should know that.  Remember Bill Walsh?

It's part of the price of success.  You get to keep Kyle but we hire away his assistants.    The Dolphins were just early thieves.