Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Jason Statham was quickly brought back to Earth by the Chiefs...

Not sure if that was a Freudian slip or you've been watching action movies and football games on split screen TV but I believe his name is Jarrett Stidham. 😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Another Cowbums miscue!  Pick 6!  

Commanders now up 13-0 despite playing 3rd string QB Howell.  Their kicker needs to get it together though - missed FG and missed extra point so far.  His struggles remind me of Tristan Vizcaino's with the Chargers - just suddenly lost the ability to kick extra points and FGs, probably inspiring them to go for it in 4th down more often, then eventually cut Vizcaino.

50 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Wow, what a sloppy start by the Cowbums special teams!

An even sloppier Prescott. I can't believe he almost threw a pick 6 and then did the same exact thing on the next play which was a pick 6. I can't believe their record is as good as it is.

The Steelers managed to beat the Browns today, despite the fact that Pickett wasn't throwing the ball well in the first quarter. In fairness to the Browns, they had a lot of players on their injury report, so they were short handed. The NFL has to clarify their Roughing the passer calls. This is the 2nd time that Cam Heyward was nailed with a roughing the passer penalty when he sacked Watson, giving them a FREE Touchdown. Its suppose to be Football.

I get it that injuring the QB, especially if its a hit to the head is serious business. but I believe that the refs are not consistent with their calls.

The Steelers ended with a 9-8 record, even though they were 2-6 the first half of the season. Of course the Steelers were blown out by the better teams in the first half of the season and didn't really start to look like a football team until the second half of the season. So, no complaints.

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Ugh, Staley decided to play the starters despite the Chargers locking up the 5th seed in the playoffs.   As a result Joey Bosa and Mike Williams got hurt.

Sam Howell made his case to be a candidate for the Commanders' starting QB job in 2023, leading his team to a 26-6 win over the Cowbums.  Certainly a stronger case than Carson Wentz's.  Nobody is declaring Howell to be the next Sonny Jurgensen, but I don't think the Commanders need to make any drastic moves in the draft or in free agency for the QB position.

Crazy how many different starters we saw in the 2022 season.  

Congrats ProfD on beating the Cowbums tonight. I never thought Prescot was much of a QB, ever, He was 11 for 31 passing before they shut the highlights off on youtube.  The Commanders were up by 20 points at the time. Nice.

I always cheer for the Steelers and whoever is playing Dallas.

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The NFL regular season is almost a wrap as week 17 winds down. Today's games felt like preseason. 

Playoff bound teams were torn between resting starters and playing not to accumulate injuries.

Non-playoff teams used the last week game to give reps to 2nd string players. 

Thanks brotha @MikeT156. Congrats on the Steelers win too.

The Commanders won as the Cowbums played safe.

As I mentioned a few days ago, the Commanders should not go after another overpriced vet QB.  😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Sam Howell made his case to be a candidate for the Commanders' starting QB job in 2023, leading his team to a 26-6 win over the Cowbums.  Certainly a stronger case than Carson Wentz's.  Nobody is declaring Howell to be the next Sonny Jurgensen, but I don't think the Commanders need to make any drastic moves in the draft or in free agency for the QB position.

I liked Howell and he looked really good, but I think they absolutely do need to make a move. First get rid of Wentz. Then find competition for Howell and Heinike. Heinike is alright but a limited ceiling, I question if he's the answer and Howell is still very unproven.

It will be interesting to see where QBs go in the draft. Young and Stroud will probably go top 5 but there should be a significant dropoff after that. 

14 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I liked Howell and he looked really good, but I think they absolutely do need to make a move. First get rid of Wentz. Then find competition for Howell and Heinike. Heinike is alright but a limited ceiling, I question if he's the answer and Howell is still very unproven.

I did not say they don't need to make any moves period.   

I said they don't need to make any DRASTiC moves.

They could indeed look affordably priced veteran free agents, draft a QB in a late round, and/or sign an undrafted FA QB.  These would all be non-drastic moves.

Not sure exactly how much cap space Wentz'  contract occupies for 2023 and 2024.  Simply cutting him would not be smart if the cap hit is high enough.  They'll have better luck finding another franchise dumb enough to trade for him.

37 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Not sure exactly how much cap space Wentz'  contract occupies for 2023 and 2024.

The Commanders do not take a cap hit if they don't bring Wentz back. His 2023 salary would be $28M if they do. H8ll to the naw.

I'll take the law firm of Heinicke & Howell at QB next season. 🤣😎

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

PD

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I did not say they don't need to make any moves period.   

I said they don't need to make any DRASTiC moves.

They could indeed look affordably priced veteran free agents, draft a QB in a late round, and/or sign an undrafted FA QB.  These would all be non-drastic moves.

And a total waste of time IMO. I do think they need to make a "drastic" move, like draft a QB high. There's no FA QB offhand I'm aware of that I think they should pursue other than Brady, though I think TB will have the inside edge to retain him (likewise for Jackson). That said, I wouldn't blame them if they roll with Howell and Heinike, hoping that one will pan out. 

10 hours ago, bill5 said:

And a total waste of time IMO. I do think they need to make a "drastic" move, like draft a QB high. There's no FA QB offhand I'm aware of that I think they should pursue other than Brady, though I think TB will have the inside edge to retain him (likewise for Jackson). That said, I wouldn't blame them if they roll with Howell and Heinike, hoping that one will pan out. 

They'e projected to draft around #15.  Not a great spot to draft a new franchise QB.

Are the Commanders in such a desperate situation that they need to trade up to draft Young or Stroud?  I just don't see it.

Brotha D

I only watched the highlights but Dallas stunk up the place in a disgraceful performance by their so called QB that was terrible. I can't say that I'm sorry to see them play like that. With any luck, the Eagles will take care of business so Jerry once again sees all his $$$ go up in smoke.

Speaking of going up in smoke, rumor has it that Rogers may be gone. I'd like to see Title Town get back to a winning program minus the whining Mr. Rogers.

Cardinals fired Kingsbury and their GM quit.  I'm sure there's a coach out there who knows how to work with Kyler Murray.

Missed the Sunday night game, so I pretty much missed what's probably Aaron Rodgers' last game.  He goes out with a loss to the Lions.

Texans beat Colts but still hold on to a higher draft pick  than the Colts.   It's as if Lovie Smith knew the Texans brass was going to fire him, so he went for the win out of spite.   Thanks to the win, the Bears now sit in the way of the Texans getting the QB that they want.

Draft order

1. Bears

2. Texans

3. Cardinals

4. Colts

5. Seahawks (Russ Wilson trade)

The Bears are sitting pretty.  If they give up on Justin Fields, they can replace him with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.   If they still like Fields, they can pretend they don't, act like they're really interested in Stroud/Young, and thus get another team to panic and trade for their spot for a princely sum.

The 2022-2023 Vikings have got to be the worst 13-4 team in the history of the NFL.  I say that as a longtime fan.   I recall there was a mediocre bears team that went to the Super Bowl because of a ludicrous turnover differential mainly, but that team at least was good on one side of the ball.  I honestly can't think of another team with such a record that was this...meh.  

Their defense is absolutely terrible, their o-line is bad as well.  Not sure how injuries are right now, I honestly haven't tuned in to the league all that much this season and I don't really even know their roster that well to know who is out...but I have watched a few of the Vikes games this year. The beatdowns by the Cowboys (in MN) and the beatdowns by Det and GB away should clue everyone in for the probable end result within a couple weeks.  Granted, Det is a team everyone in the playoffs is happy they don't have to play right now.  The Vikes *might* beat the Giants but I shudder to think what will happen if they have to go to San Fran or Philly.  Dallas too.   I'm putting the stomping at 38-13 or so and only not worse because any of those teams will just run the ball the entire 2nd half.

So watch, they'll win the SB or something stupid LOL :)   It's completely no anxiety for me, unlike 1998 which scarred me.  That game literally made me step back from fandom and I've never taken it as seriously since then.

• Like 1

Black Monday has produced two (2) casualties with both HC Lovie Smith (Texans) and HC Kliff Kingsbury (Cards) being fired today.

The Texans are so dysfunctional that I could not understand why HC Lovie Smith took that particular job in the 1st place. Even if coaching still runs through is veins, he could have remained a college head coach.

The Cards appears to be trying to undo the mess they made in extending Kinsbury, GM Kein and giving Kylar Murray a new contract.  Making it to the 1st round of the playoffs got everybody excited.  Put a pin in that balloon.

The free agent QB class will be average at best.  Between astronomical salaries for a declining skillset to bargain journeymen, there is no reason to recycle the re-treads. 

Every week of this NFL season has shown that it does not take a $50M/yr QB to win games. The money is better spent bringing in solid players at all skilled positions.

Da Bears would be stupid to give up on QB Justin Fields after 2 seasons and failing to provide him with a solid o-line and offensive weapons.  Their handling of Fields definitely would not entice QBs Bryce Young or QB CJ Stroud to play there.  I think da Bears GM Ryan Pace has a plan for rebuilding the team.  He's not going to change QBs.

8 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

They'e projected to draft around #15.  Not a great spot to draft a new franchise QB.

Are the Commanders in such a desperate situation that they need to trade up to draft Young or Stroud?  I just don't see it.

Absolutely not.  It will take at least 2 years for those QBs to learn the game at the NFL level.  There's still no guarantee they will pan out.  Exhibit A...Zach Wilson (Jets).

5 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

Brotha D

I only watched the highlights but Dallas stunk up the place in a disgraceful performance by their so called QB that was terrible.

Speaking of going up in smoke, rumor has it that Rogers may be gone. I'd like to see Title Town get back to a winning program minus the whining Mr. Rogers.

The Cowbums were not not playing to win.  They were looking ahead to play the Bucs this upcoming weekend.

QB Aaron Rodgers did look around Lambeau field as if it was his last time playing there.  I would not be surprised if he decides to retire.  Of course, I'll believe it when he makes the announcement. 😎

• Like 2

PD

11 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Agreed on both counts. Maybe the answer is see what you really have with their existing QBs minus Wentz. They did pretty well with Heinike.

4 hours ago, Stokely said:

The 2022-2023 Vikings have got to be the worst 13-4 team in the history of the NFL. 

Outside of SF, they're the only 13-4 team in the history of the NFL. :) But I hear you and agree. The thing is they have enough talent that when healthy can do great things. They're just inconsistent and unreliable. But no way are they even getting to the SB let alone winning it. Cousins will see to that. He's a classic good/not great QB. 

7 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Bears are sitting pretty.  If they give up on Justin Fields, they can replace him with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.   If they still like Fields, they can pretend they don't, act like they're really interested in Stroud/Young, and thus get another team to panic and trade for their spot for a princely sum.

I doubt the Bears give up on Fields, although I would do it in a heartbeat and draft Young. They'll convince themselves that trading down and giving him better weapons is the answer.

Side note I find it interesting how some teams are cursed at certain positions. The Bears and Browns at QB, the Lions at RB, the Cards at TE for example. The last time any of them had a top talent (I'm not even saying best, just upper tier) at those positions is a crazy long time. The Lions is the last of any of those w/Sanders and that's 20+ yrs ago and despite drafting RBs high more than once.

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Every week of this NFL season has shown that it does not take a $50M/yr QB to win games. The money is better spent bringing in solid players at all skilled positions.

Nah. Look at the SB winners going back as far as you care to. Almost always the winner had one of the best QBs in the league. Of course you need good players elsewhere too; QBs don't win SBs...teams do...but QB is the most important position on the team. You need to get that right before there's any hope of a championship. An OKish QB will not cut it. And while it's true Fields has a mostly lame offense around him, his failures have been more than that. I don't buy him as a SB winning capable QB. 

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

I doubt the Bears give up on Fields, although I would do it in a heartbeat and draft Young. They'll convince themselves that trading down and giving him better weapons is the answer.

Of course you would!  😁

I just find their position interesting because they're in position to mess up the Texans' and possibly Colts' plans of addressing their QB problems.    I don't care what the Bears do per se - just going to sit back and watch how the drama plays out during the draft.  :popcorn:

Yes, and if they're smart, they will play that up as you said. So they probably won't :) And although also unlikely IMO, I think Seattle is not above drafting a QB. Smith had a nice year, but was uneven towards the end and they might (rightfully IMO) suspect he is not the answer. If Young and Stroud are gone and the Colts draft Levis that high, I think I would literally laugh out loud at that move. Desperate times do NOT call for desperate measures in the NFL draft. 

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

Nah. Look at the SB winners going back as far as you care to. Almost always the winner had one of the best QBs in the league. Of course you need good players elsewhere too; QBs don't win SBs...teams do...but QB is the most important position on the team. You need to get that right before there's any hope of a championship. An OKish QB will not cut it. 

The Baltimore Ravens and New York Giants both won two (2) Super Bowls with average QBs.😎

• Like 1

PD