Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

I wonder who's job Mack is taking - Uchenna Nwosu's at OLB opposite Bosa, or Jerry Tillery's at DE.     Tillery has not looked like much of a fit for the kind of D-lineman that Staley wants in his 1.5 gap defense.  OTOH, Mack at 267 lbs seems to be built more for OLB/Edge.    Not sure what Nwosu's contract status is, but he'd be pretty handy coming off the bench to spell Bosa or Mack.

Merriman's response to a Mack question

It's true that quarterbacks garner more attention than most players when they change their minds about retirement, and the all-time-great quarterbacks get the most attention. Favre went back and forth more times than Brady has so far, but where Brady has Favre beat is that he chose to come back the day after the ball from his last touchdown pass was auctioned off for over a half-million dollars:

Tom Brady's 'final' career touchdown ball sells for over $518K at auction

Best,

Geoff

• Haha 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

When I read a rumor that Brady would consider playing for the 49ers, I didn't think much of it.

Still a bit surprised that Brady unretired so soon. But, maybe that explains the Bucs being in no rush to bring in another  QB.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Chargers sign JC Jackson

The 2021 secondary was decent at times,  partially because the run D was so bad that when opponents got the running game going, they stopped bothering to test the secondary.  Overall though depth at CB was good at all.  Now they can demote a starter to backup and have JC take over as starter. 

He's only 26 too.  Nice upgrade.

I'm curious to see if Trubisky can pull off a Tannehill in Pittsburgh.  If Trubisky has the goods and responds to solid coaching, it could be a win-win situation.

The Steelers don't have to cater to the ego of a future hall of famer and they have a stopgap/upgrade until they can draft a franchise QB.

The Steelers o-line is a young work in progress.  Trubisky is mobile and has a strong enough arm. 

I still think the Steelers are better served relying on RB Najee Harris and their running game. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

15 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The 2021 secondary was decent at times,  partially because the run D was so bad that when opponents got the running game going, they stopped bothering to test the secondary. 

Within hours of this post the Chargers sign two run-stuffing defensive tackles:  Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson.   Joseph-Day is an ex-Ram who previously played for Staley.  Johnson is thought to be a great fit for Staley's scheme.

That leaves right tackle as the one remaining gaping hole on this team. Bryan Bulaga was supposed to be the guy but was only healthy enough to play 7 games in 2 years.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:00 PM, Geoff Grace said:

It's true that quarterbacks garner more attention than most players when they change their minds about retirement, and the all-time-great quarterbacks get the most attention. Favre went back and forth more times than Brady has so far, but where Brady has Favre beat is that he chose to come back the day after the ball from his last touchdown pass was auctioned off for over a half-million dollars:

Tom Brady's 'final' career touchdown ball sells for over $518K at auction

Best,

Geoff

On one hand, that is probably a pretty irritated person to now own the ball that *wasn't* the last touchdown ball.

Then again, anyone who'd pay that much for a @$%# football is either a moron or someone diving into a swimming pool filled with new money every day like Scrooge McDuck, or both.

Buffalo Bills, LB Von Miller agree on six-year contract; TE O.J. Howard gets 1-year deal

Well, the Bills certainly needed to bolster their defense, and Von Miller will make a big impact; but this is bad news for us Rams fans. I would have also been happy to see Miller return to Denver, as he hinted at a few days ago.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:23 AM, Stokely said:

On one hand, that is probably a pretty irritated person to now own the ball that *wasn't* the last touchdown ball.

Then again, anyone who'd pay that much for a @$%# football is either a moron or someone diving into a swimming pool filled with new money every day like Scrooge McDuck, or both.

I agree that it seems likely that anyone who could afford to buy a football for over $500,000 could also afford to lose that kind of money. However, it now appears that the deal wasn't finalized before Brady unretired (because banks are closed on Sundays). If so, then it's the fan who caught the ball who lost out on a small fortune.

Best,

Geoff

12 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Sources: Tennessee Titans plan to release WR Julio Jones

As the saying goes, NFL = Not For Long. I hope that Julio Jones still has good years ahead in the league.

Best,

Geoff

Considering the limited amount of time Julio Jones spent on the field last year, I had a feeling that his time with the Titans would be short.🤔

i don't how much Jones has left in the tank but I'd pair him up with McLaurin here in DC.😎

• Like 1

PD

I know the NFL is a business but some moves just don't make sense.🤨

The Packers give Aaron Rodgers a bag of money but trade away his top receiver.🤔

Maybe the Packers have a cheaper Pro Bowl caliber WR waiting in the wings. 😁😎

PD

The article below says that Davante Adams "preferred to play elsewhere rather than return to Green Bay for a contract and pay structure similar to his deal with the Raiders, a source said."

Sources: Green Bay Packers trading Davante Adams to Las Vegas Raiders

It adds, "The trade reunites Adams with Derek Carr, his college quarterback from their days at Fresno State."

Maybe it's about relationships. Could it be as simple as wanting to hang out with his pal, Derek Carr? Or perhaps Adams has a problem with Packers GM Brian Gutekunst, as Rodgers did last year; or it even could be that Davante has a problem with Rodgers, as former Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings did. Maybe it's something else entirely. Who knows?

Best,

Geoff

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

I guess he didn't take it well when the Browns attempted to trade for DeShaun Watson.

Not the same emotional control like Jimmy G in SF who just kept on working despite the high-profile QB draftee coming in.

That's true. That aspect of the two situations is very similar, but the responses aren't. That makes Garoppolo look like the bigger man.

On the other hand, the 49ers organization and the Browns organization seem to be almost polar opposites. We don't know how much of Mayfield's response was to the DeShaun Watson talks and how much of it was to years of dealing with institutional disfunction in Cleveland. Maybe Watson was just the straw that broke the camel's back, or maybe Mayfield isn't enough of an "adult," as the Browns claim. It's kind of hard to know without being in the environment.

Best,

Geoff

1 hour ago, Geoff Grace said:

That's true. That aspect of the two situations is very similar, but the responses aren't. That makes Garoppolo look like the bigger man.

On the other hand, the 49ers organization and the Browns organization seem to be almost polar opposites. We don't know how much of Mayfield's response was to the DeShaun Watson talks and how much of it was to years of dealing with institutional disfunction in Cleveland. Maybe Watson was just the straw that broke the camel's back, or maybe Mayfield isn't enough of an "adult," as the Browns claim. It's kind of hard to know without being in the environment.

Best,

Geoff

I missed the part about Mayfield having a strong interest in the Colts.

If his goal is to move on to Indy, how does he get there?  Play up the drama for ESPN and other outlets to eat up and amplify?  Or try a different tactic?  Well I guess the tactical scheming (then coaching Mayfield what to say to the public) would actually be done by his agent.

2 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

The article below says that Davante Adams "preferred to play elsewhere rather than return to Green Bay for a contract and pay structure similar to his deal with the Raiders, a source said."

Sources: Green Bay Packers trading Davante Adams to Las Vegas Raiders

It adds, "The trade reunites Adams with Derek Carr, his college quarterback from their days at Fresno State."

Maybe it's about relationships. Could it be as simple as wanting to hang out with his pal, Derek Carr? Or perhaps Adams has a problem with Packers GM Brian Gutekunst, as Rodgers did last year; or it even could be that Davante has a problem with Rodgers, as former Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings did. Maybe it's something else entirely. Who knows?

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the reasons for Davonte Adams's decision were similar to all of the factors I mentioned above. He felt undervalued by the Packers organization last year, just as Aaron Rodgers did; but the Packers never resolved those issues with a new contract for Adams, as they did with Rodgers, choosing the franchise tag instead. In addition, Rodgers never consulted with Adams while deciding whether to stay or go, so Davonte didn't consult with Aaron while making his decision either. Last but not least, Davonte has a solid friendship with Derek Carr, which seems to have made the Raiders all the more appealing as a destination for Adams.

Best,

Geoff

If QB Baker Mayfield can get traded to Indy that could be a fresh start for him especially with HC Frank Reich. 😎

• Like 1

PD