Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

Add me to the people who were disappointed that Fox switched away from the Niners/Bucs game.

I was pleased to hear that Brock Purdy grew up not far from where I grew up (although our childhoods were separated by multiple decades). It's nice to see someone from the area make good.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

49ers have a great QB situation with 3 competent QBs despite two being out injured.

Next season will be interesting as teams inquire about QBs Jimmy G and now Brock Purdy.

Another tough break as the 49ers lose WR Deebo Samuel. Hopefully it's not a season-ending injury.

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes throws 3 INTs and the team still manages to win. Either the Chiefs are really good or the Broncos are bad or both.

Steelers lost a winnable game with QB Lamar Jackson out.  It didn't help that the Steelers lost starting QB Kenny Pickett to a concussion. QB Mitch Trubisky came in and threws 3 INTs. Still blocked FG was the difference between a Steelers win and loss. 

Jags and Pathers both won today. Texans almost pulled off the upset against the Cowbums. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 minutes ago, ProfD said:

49ers have a great QB situation with 3 competent QBs despite two being out injured.

Next season will be interesting as teams inquire about QBs Jimmy G and now Brock Purdy.

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet, although it seems everyone is. I'm as glad as anyone for how he's done so far, but a game and a half does not define a career. Or am I the only one old enough to remember Clint Longley? :)  

Things are getting interesting. Teams who started out strong have slipped and other teams most thought would be battling for the top draft pick aren't out of the playoffs yet. 

Meanwhile, Mr Silver's Chargers are giving the Fins a run for their money!

I'm not sure if I'm seeing anyone on this particular board jumping the gun on young Purdy. It is simply noteworthy the young man is poised, playing without jitters or any sense the stage is too big for him. Every game is an opportunity for success or abject failure (or, in our Niners' case, severe injury). Rookie may play like a rookie in any future game he plays (including Thursday's tilt vs. Seattle). Yet to be seen.

I'm just happy the young man is NOT playing at all like a rookie - I think it's worth noting Trey Lance started this year and looked to me quite a bit like growing pains and "potential", as they say. Brock in his VERY short time so far really doesn't look like growing pains. And that itself is remarkable, especially relative to the two QBs that went down before him.

5 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

The 2 happiest, and luckiest, teams in the league right now are the Seahawks and the Lions. The have the Bronco and the Rams 1st round picks, currently #2 and #4.

No doubt.

Eagles are pretty happy too - I believe they could also end up with a pretty high draft pick next year.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

8 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

The 2 happiest, and luckiest, teams in the league right now are the Seahawks and the Lions. The have the Bronco and the Rams 1st round picks, currently #2 and #4.

Yes those are turning out to be quite a coup. If they draft smartly, both teams could be in place for playoff runs for years to come. 

Brock Purdy played with uncanny accuracy and decision-making for this one game.   I don't think it's jumping the gun to say I'm lookin g forward to seeing more of his playing this year and likely into the postseason, unless Jimmy G heals up in a miraculously short amount of time.

Ravens were down to 3rd-string QB Anthony Brown, the undrafted ex-Oregon Duck.  But all they needed was Trubisky's INTs and a strong running game to beat the Steelers.

Eagles made short work of the Giants.   Only loss was to the Commanders.  We noticed that while most Eagles were celebrating their big lead. Jalen Hurts was not only, not celebrating, but appearing to concentrate on something with enough intensity in his eyes to burn holes through something.  We think he's still stewing over that one loss.

45 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet, although it seems everyone is. I'm as glad as anyone for how he's done so far, but a game and a half does not define a career.  

Sure. Definitely not jumping the gun or anointing these QBs the 2nd coming.

However, today's NFL is thirsty for QBs capable of winning now.

The Texans, Jets, Panthers and Falcons are watching too. If their future QB is not on the roster or in the draft, they will turn to other teams especially if a potential starting QB is buried on the depth chart.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

15 hours ago, timwat said:

I'm not sure if I'm seeing anyone on this particular board jumping the gun on young Purdy. It is simply noteworthy the young man is poised, playing without jitters or any sense the stage is too big for him. Every game is an opportunity for success or abject failure (or, in our Niners' case, severe injury). Rookie may play like a rookie in any future game he plays (including Thursday's tilt vs. Seattle). Yet to be seen.

I'm just happy the young man is NOT playing at all like a rookie - I think it's worth noting Trey Lance started this year and looked to me quite a bit like growing pains and "potential", as they say. Brock in his VERY short time so far really doesn't look like growing pains. And that itself is remarkable, especially relative to the two QBs that went down before him.

Well said.   If anyone is jumping the gun, it was the announcers at half time comparing him to Joe Namath, because "comparing him to Joe Montana would be too over the top for the 9er fans". 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

15 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Brock Purdy played with uncanny accuracy and decision-making for this one game.   I don't think it's jumping the gun to say I'm lookin g forward to seeing more of his playing this year and likely into the postseason, unless Jimmy G heals up in a miraculously short amount of time.

Small correction.   1.93 Games.   (Came in vs MIA at 11:15 left in 1st Quarter).  I think his performance was almost as good in the 1st game passing wise.  1 INT each to be fair.

I think the biggest point is that he has demonstrated capability.   Whether he can turn that into consistency is an open question, but 2 games of similar success is big.  

At 22, he has only upside baring injury.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Re: 9ers SB Bound

15 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

If they can get past Philly. :idea:

dB

Of course, I have to assume they can beat them in a single game playoff. 

It won't be like the winningest Dodgers, who had, what 5 games to beat San Die.... er.....  ooops.  :poke:😆

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Re: 9ers SB Bound

Of course, I have to assume they can beat them in a single game playoff. 

😆

What makes you assume that would be the case?  The rookie QB with one good game at home?  Potential loss of Deebo?  Their one functioning RB as opposed to the three on the Eagles? :poke:😁 

Sure, McCaffrey is looking killer ATM....but Miles Sanders is clearly having the best season of his career. 😎

Dallas Goedert is supposed to be back shortly.  I'd say he's been playing better than Kittle this year.  I'd rate Brown and Deebo fairly close (assuming Deebo is ok), and would certainly put Devonta Smith against Aiyuk.

Re: the D - I'd probably haave to give the advantage to SF at the moment, but maybe not by much. :idk:

Biggest factor, IMO - I don't care who SF fields in the QB position. Jalen Hurts is playing unreal football currently.  I'm gonna say significant advantage to Philly there.

Regardless, that'd be a great game. :snax:

It won't be like the winningest Dodgers, who had, what 5 games to beat San Die.... er.....  ooops.

...and look what happened to SD in their following matchup. 😉

dB

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

(RE: 49ers can beat Philly in a single game)
What makes you assume that would be the case?  The rookie QB with one good game at home?  Potential loss of Deebo?  Their one functioning RB as opposed to the three on the Eagles? :poke:😁 

Sure, McCaffrey is looking killer ATM....but Miles Sanders is clearly having the best season of his career. 😎

Dallas Goedert is supposed to be back shortly.  I'd say he's been playing better than Kittle this year.  I'd rate Brown and Deebo fairly close (assuming Deebo is ok), and would certainly put Devonta Smith against Aiyuk.

Re: the D - I'd probably haave to give the advantage to SF at the moment, but maybe not by much. :idk:

Biggest factor, IMO - I don't care who SF fields in the QB position. Jalen Hurts is playing unreal football currently.  I'm gonna say significant advantage to Philly there.

Regardless, that'd be a great game. :snax:

...and look what happened to SD in their following matchup. 😉

dB

Neither SB team from 2021 had any semblance of hope at this stage of the season last year.  So I think my assumption that the niners can beat Philly is perfectly reasonable.

And my point about the dodgers speaks to this.   Strength on paper doesn't mean that much for a single game, let alone 5 games.  How SD beat LA was I believe a random but assured (eventually) statistical anomaly like losing roulette 10 times in a row on a failed Martingale attempt. 

Definitely agree it would be a great game.   I just like the idea of a Cinderella story with the niners with my connection to Iowa State.

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Neither SB team from 2021 had any semblance of hope at this stage of the season last year.  So I think my assumption that the niners can beat Philly is perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, but… 

SF is one of the NFC teams that people ARE looking at as SB contenders at this stage of the season along with Philly, Dallas, and Minnesota.

And my point about the dodgers speaks to this.   Strength on paper doesn't mean that much for a single game, let alone 5 games.  How SD beat LA was I believe a random but assured (eventually) statistical anomaly like losing roulette 10 times in a row on a failed Martingale attempt. 

Acknowledged and agreed.  This year’s Phillies also reinforce your point.  Not a lot of people (myself included) thought they were gonna get past St. Louis, much less Atlanta. 😲

I just like the idea of a Cinderella story with the niners with my connection to Iowa State.

Oh, me too…but, as previously mentioned, I don’t see SF as a Cinderella story, nor have I since they landed McCaffrey.  I see them as the team that arguably has the toughest defense in the league at this point…and defense frequently wins games. 💪

dB

• Like 1

I agree that it's hard to look at the Niners as a Cinderella story, as they're regular contenders in the league.

Just last year, they swept the Rams during the regular season and beat the top-seeded Packers in Lambeau during the playoffs. The Rams had to come back from a 10-point deficit to beat the 49ers in the playoffs, 20–17. If not for that come-from-behind victory, the 49ers might be the defending champs this year instead of the Rams.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

12 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

I agree that it's hard to look at the Niners as a Cinderella story, as they're regular contenders in the league.

Just last year, they swept the Rams during the regular season and beat the top-seeded Packers in Lambeau during the playoffs. The Rams had to come back from a 10-point deficit to beat the 49ers in the playoffs, 20–17. If not for that come-from-behind victory, the 49ers might be the defending champs this year instead of the Rams.

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, I really meant the Brock Cinderella story (hence my reference to connection to my school ISU).

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

4 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Neither SB team from 2021 had any semblance of hope at this stage of the season last year. 

? The Bengals yeah, but the Rams were 9-4 at this point last year and as I recall had multiple people injured who were starting to return as well. They had plenty of hope, though not the odds-on fav for the SB. 

And I agree that SF would be a Cinderella story because of Purdy. And really even if he falters at some point and they bow out, it was still nice while it lasted. I can't remember a more relevant Mr Irrelevant. :)  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bill5 said:

? The Bengals yeah, but the Rams were 9-4 at this point last year and as I recall had multiple people injured who were starting to return as well. They had plenty of hope, though not the odds-on fav for the SB.

Ok, 4% according to Nate Silver.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

56 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I can't remember a more relevant Mr Irrelevant. :) 

One of the first Mr. Irrelevants that I kept track of was Roger Craig, Davenport Iowa High School.  I competed at track with him at competing Bettendorf (not directly, he was a sprinter, I was distance).

He under performed behind Mike Rozier at Nebraska, resulting in being an irrelevant draft pick for SF.

The rest is history.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Ok, 4% according to Nate Silver.

? Whatever that means?

Regarding Mr Irrelevant, that means the last guy picked in the NFL draft. Neither Warner nor Craig were....and out of curiosity I looked it up, and the best Mr Irrelevant is easily PK Ryan Succop, who had a lengthy career with the Chiefs and Titans.