Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

20 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Kenneth Walker III hit a top speed of 22 MPH on one of his gamebreaking runs.  😲 

Usain Bolt's record is around 23 MPH

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/seahawks-kenneth-walker-twitter-profile-picture-chargers-fan/vukelqeunawpbtkj6wdusscl

Actually Bolt is over 27 mph, I remember looking it up after Adrian Peterson for the Vikes was over 21 mph on one run a few years ago.

Obviously Bolt wasn't wearing pads, football cleats, carrying a ball or having to look around for large men trying to squash him.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Actually Bolt is over 27 mph, I remember looking it up after Adrian Peterson for the Vikes was over 21 mph on one run a few years ago.

Obviously Bolt wasn't wearing pads, football cleats, carrying a ball or having to look around for large men trying to squash him.

I was apparently looking at the wrong source(s).  Perhaps this is a little more accurate

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1283999-usain-bolt-mph-breaking-down-amazing-speed-from-olympic-sprinter

On 10/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, ProfD said:

Maybe they should have lobbied to bring their favorite o-linemen from their previous teams and/or insured their new teams had a decent OL. 😁

Honestly, I thought Wilson and Ryan had enough tread on their tires to do well with their new teams.

I also thought their destination teams were a good fit too.  It went sideways fast.😎

Agreed. I think everyone thought they were poised for at least one good last year (and that their OLs were at least respectable). 

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

Bucs take Ravens tonight. Count on it.

The Bucs should be motivated to win at home. So far, they're not putting up enough points to keep the Ravens out of it. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What's happening to the Personal Life's of both Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers reminds of a movie i watched a long time ago. "The other side of the mountain". The Story of two professional skiers that hooked up when they started a relationship while taking part in down hill skiing events. The young lady got off the mountain trail and went off a cliff and ended up in a wheel chair for the rest of her life. Her boyfriend kept up their relationship despite her devastating injury. He would fly his family's private airplane to go see her, but he died when he crashed his private airplane while on his way to see her.

It was one of the saddest stories I ever watched on the tube.

Gisele decided to divorce Tom after he decided to "unretire" from NFL Football. THAT was a mistake. Gisele had enough and they are now divorced. Tom is suffering the reality of NFL football because his team is not good enough to win. After all his years of success, he is living the other side of the mountain. Aaron Roger's long time girl friend gave him his walking papers after years of trying to get along with him. She said that it was "Aaron's way or no way" so she dumped him. She took the highway. She's a SMART lady. Personally I don't like Rogers. He's selfish and greedy. He is NOT not worth anywhere near the $50 million Green Bay is paying him. Serves him Right.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah they're both egomaniacal idiots. Every time they lose I cheer. 

Back to the NFL, the second half of the season should be interesting. Excluding major injuries, in the NFC I predict the Eagles and Giants will falter but still make the playoffs and the Cowboys should get the other wild card. The rest is anybody's guess. In the AFC clearly the Chiefs and Bills should win their divisions, the Bengals will take theirs, the Titans will take theirs, the Fins will get a wild card and I think the Raiders storm the second half and get another.

Chargers GM Tom Telesco seems to think the Chargers can compete with Herbert not having a deep threat WR to throw to.    Trade deadline passed without any trades, despite the WR corps being reduced to Deandre Carter and the practice squad.

It'd be ok if they had a top shelf running game to lean on, but that ain't happening with this OL.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins, Bears, Vikings, Ravens, and even "Superbowl fave" Bills all made trades to boost their chances of claiming this year's Lombardi.

Telesco seems to signaling he doesn't want it as badly as the competition.  Maybe he's given up on trying to keep his job after all the talk of Sean Payton wanting to coach Herbert.  I agree with surfergirl that if they fail to make the playoffs, somebody will be fired - Staley who can't seem to get players to fit into his defense... and Telesco who doesn't know how to build a 3-deep team.

As a Vikings fan, I'll believe they are a contender when they prove it against a good team and especially on the road.  Not complaining about the record but they are not close to the top teams IMO.  If they prove me wrong great!

Hated seeing the fighting Deshaun Watsons win last night.  I hope they lose every game by 50.

I don't think the Eagles will falter, but who knows.  I don't follow the league as closely as some, haven't for years.  They run the ball well behind a very good line, and have a good defense.  They close out games (take note, Vikings, who have closed them out but have made them way too close at times after taking big leads.)  Obviously injuries always have a lot to say in a given year.

It makes zero sense that the Chargers did not try to get WR Chase Claypool or WR Brandin Cooks or someone else to help QB Justin Herbert.  The GM should be fired.

The Bears did trade for WR Claypool to help young QB Justin Fields.  OTOH, the same Bears traded away DE Robert Quinn and LB Roquan Smith. 

The Eagles and Ravens will benefit from DE Quinn and LB Smith respectively.  Same goes for the Dolphins who landed LB Bradley Chubb from the Broncos.

Thankfully, the Commanders unloaded CB William Jackson.  I never thought CB Jackson could cover a penny bet nevermind a decent WR.  Good riddance.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

14 minutes ago, ProfD said:

It makes zero sense that the Chargers did not try to get WR Chase Claypool or WR Brandin Cooks or someone else to help QB Justin Herbert.  The GM should be fired.

It's like he knows he's going to be fired, so he's just chillin in Palm Springs or Marina Del Rey for the rest of the season instead of doing something to beat the trade deadline.

Or maybe he knows it isn't happening this year for the Chargers and one guy isn't going to change that, so do what damage you can this year and reload next year.

And from what I hear, Claypool is an immature idiot who perpetually plays under his talent level. I'm not sure they missed out on much there.

I think a lot of these moves are at least partly cap related, dumping guys before a huge paycheck is due. 

If the Chargers fail to make the playoffs, there's a good chance Tom Telesco will not be around to help them reload next year.

While I did stop following the NFL for a few years, I did witness the majority of Tom Telesco's tenure.   

He has a history being overconfident in his draft and personnel decisions.  The big free agent signings in the 2021-2022 offseason were actually out of character for him.  Every team has has a mix of in-house (drafted and undrafted as rookies) players and free agents.  Telesco comes out of the old-school GM style of building and maintaining a team of mostly in-house players.  He gets out maneuvered by other organizations who are more willing to swap out in-house players for free agents that might be better fits, at the right time.  

I think he honestly thinks the Chargers can win even with the depleted WR corps.    It will probably be his undoing

8 hours ago, bill5 said:

I think a lot of these moves are at least partly cap related, dumping guys before a huge paycheck is due. 

Agreed.  Especially for teams that are rebuilding and know they are 2-3 years away from being competitive enough to make the playoffs. 

Rather than tie up cap space with a few players, spread that money around through draft picks, trades and free agency (restructuring contracts). 

The NFL is usually a copycat business.  Team owners and GMs are just getting around to what Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Head Coach Belicheck have been doing forever.  The Pats bring in football players capable of fitting into their system.  They will let players leave instead of giving up  huge contracts. 

Unlike other sports where a player can single-handedly change the trajectory of a team, football is a different team sport. 

Part of the reason the Green Bay Packers are losing is because $50M per season is tied up in their QB without a solid supporting cast.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

9 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

If the Chargers fail to make the playoffs, there's a good chance Tom Telesco will not be around to help them reload next year.

While I did stop following the NFL for a few years, I did witness the majority of Tom Telesco's tenure.   

He has a history being overconfident in his draft and personnel decisions.  The big free agent signings in the 2021-2022 offseason were actually out of character for him.  Every team has has a mix of in-house (drafted and undrafted as rookies) players and free agents.  Telesco comes out of the old-school GM style of building and maintaining a team of mostly in-house players.  He gets out maneuvered by other organizations who are more willing to swap out in-house players for free agents that might be better fits, at the right time.  

I think he honestly thinks the Chargers can win even with the depleted WR corps.    It will probably be his undoing

You certainly know them better than I do, but my impression of them is they are more than a middling/hopeful upside WR away from seriously contending. Granted a lot of it is being banged up, as usual. And it seems they are always like that. I would have blamed SD water but then they moved, so  :classic_wink:

8 hours ago, ProfD said:

Unlike other sports where a player can single-handedly change the trajectory of a team, football is a different team sport. 

Wow. Someone else gets it. Thank you for that. I facepalm every time I hear people call Brady* the greatest ever because he won 7 SBs. No. He didn't. He was QB of 7 SB winning teams. A big part of those wins obviously, but pointing to SB wins as an indicator of personal greatness is IMO idiotic. Based on that logic, Dan Marino sucked.  

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

You certainly know them better than I do, but my impression of them is they are more than a middling/hopeful upside WR away from seriously contending. Granted a lot of it is being banged up, as usual. And it seems they are always like that. I would have blamed SD water but then they moved, so  :classic_wink:

Situation is so bad I can't even talk about upgrading this team from middling to serious contender.   How about just providing a functional WR corps for Herbert?

Really they needed to bring in at least 2 WRs, maybe even 3.

The expected starting WRs were Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Josh Palmer, with Jalen Guyton coming off the bench for deep shots.

Instead, thanks to injuries they could very well field WRs Deandre Carter, Michael Bandy, and Jason Moore against the Falcons.  Who?   Exactly!

At this point, "serious contender" is a pipe dream.  Telesco sealed his own fate by allowing the WR corps to degrade to this.   He probably believes in his heart of hearts Bandy is the next Wes Welker, just like some fans were saying (in their denial).   Maybe he and Staley think Moore is the next Rod Smith.  😂

Telesco will be fired after the Chargers miss the playoffs.

I think Bears fans are generally happy about the Chase Claypool signing. He is versatile, extremely athletic, fast, big, large catch radius, blocks, etc. While the Bears may have overpaid for him a bit, I think given the probably lack of great choices in next year's draft class, it's a good solid move overall. I'm sorry to see Roquan Smith go to the Ravens, but it appeared necessary since they couldn't come to an agreement.

Hopefully we see continued growth from Justin Fields. He looked much better in games with the Patriots and Cowboys. The latter, although a horrible loss, was the most points any team had put up against the Cowboys this season. Anyway, in this complete tear-down and rebuilding year with a team that is largely made up of first-string players who might play second-string on another team, there's some promise of good things to come.

49ers comment.

I need to start back listening to Cosell on Murph and Mac KNBR San Jose.

Word is that CM with JG is now potentially unbeatable.   Not sure why they wrote off JG so soon, but 9ers seem to be on a roll.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

Signing Claypool is a start, but they're still terribly lacking in WRs. There's no true "alpha" WR. But yeah jury is still out on Fields. 

Unless Claypool changes or otherwise is unleashed, he's a #2. They basically have two #2s now.

Fields is showing promise, but none of us will know anything until he strings together good solid games consistently. He's frequently one of the best athletes on the field and has a lot of skills, but of course, we need to see consistency. And he has to get through his reads faster still....or learn to throw the ball away more often.

But what he's done against the Patriots and Cowboys was phenomenal, especially given that horrible offensive line and lack of targets.

Bears have tons of cap space next season (and some draft picks), so I look forward to seeing what they do with all of that next year.

How Dolphins used picks from (Trey) Lance trade to become contenders

I don't have a dog in the Jimmy G debate (if there is one).  On the one hand, he was the starter on Niners teams that got to the NFC championship game twice.  OTOH, he's 31 - an age where maybe a GM starts looking for a younger franchise QB, preferably with higher upside.  OTOH again, I'm biased against trading up for a high draft pick because of what happened to the Chargers with the Ryan Leaf trade.

Time will tell if the Niners' decision to trade up to draft Trey Lance was the right one.  The Dolphins appear to have profited from this trade.  But as the article mentions, the Niners are still in playoff race as well, despite losing Lance for the year.   Tough break for them because Lance would be having so much fun with CM in the lineup right now.  As it is, keeping Jimmy G around in case Lance got hurt turned out to be a smart move on the Niners' part - can't think of anyone else they could have gotten who knows their system well, to back up Lance.

51 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

I don't have a dog in the Jimmy G debate (if there is one). 

He proved he isn't the guy in the KC SB. He will never win a SB, I'd literally bet the house on that. And yeah trading up for a "franchise" QB rarely works out. SF is still in it because the NFC is a joke. I'm waiting for TB to wake up and take what is a very easy prize.

7 hours ago, bill5 said:

He proved he isn't the guy in the KC SB. He will never win a SB, I'd literally bet the house on that. And yeah trading up for a "franchise" QB rarely works out. SF is still in it because the NFC is a joke. I'm waiting for TB to wake up and take what is a very easy prize.

The NIners seemed to agree with you- why else would they make the Trey Lance trade?  Just did not work out for them this year.

• Like 1

Teams like da Bears, Steelers, Panthers and Texans are clearly in rebuilding mode. They are 1-2 years from being more competitive.

The Rams, Bucs and Packers won't admit it's time to rebuild.  They are holding on to the to the belief that their HOF QBs still have something left in the tank.  I doubt that any of those 3 teams will make it to the playoffs.  If they do sneak into the playoffs, it will be a 1 and done.  No way they move beyond the wild card round.

Otherwise, the NFC is wide open.  Despite leading their divisions, I'm still not convinced the Eagles, Vikings, Seahawks or Falcons will reach the Super Bowl. 

The 49ers could end up back in the Super Bowl even with QB Jimmy G at the helm.  That would be hilarious for a couple of reasons all things considered.😎

• Like 1

PD