Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

5 minutes ago, ProfD said:

QB Aaron Rodgers has to sorely miss having WR Davante Adams. The Packers offense is ordinary without a big play threat on the field. None of the other WRs has stepped up to the plate.

It's not working out so well for Davante Adams either, unfortunately. I think it was a bit premature of him to refer to his college friend, Derek Carr, as a future Hall of Famer. Former Packer Marquez Valdes-Scantling, on the other hand, wound up paired with a more likely future Hall of Famer, Patrick Mahomes. The Packers miss Valdes-Scantling too. He could outrun almost everyone on the field. If he only had Davante Adams's hands, he would have been a premier receiver.

I think Green Bay's offense is ordinary at best right now. It's not just the receivers, the offensive line has been struggling too. Rodgers had to get rid of the ball quickly on almost every play to avoid getting sacked. If it hadn't been for running back Aaron Jones, who played great today, the offense would have been practically nonexistent.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

41 minutes ago, ProfD said:

In other news...the Bucs got crushed by the Panthers. Brady is another future HOF QB playing on a team below .500. 😎

And yet they're still in first place.  :freak:

The Commanders have the same 3-4 record as the Buccaneers; but while that record means first place in the NFC South, it leaves Washington in last place in the NFC East.

What a weird season!

Best,

Geoff

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Thanks brotha Geoff.

Commanders tried to best themselves but the Packers didn't cooperate.🤣

QB Aaron Rodgers has to sorely miss having WR Davante Adams. The Packers offense is ordinary without a big play threat on the field. None of the other WRs has stepped up to the plate.

In other news...the Bucs got crushed by the Panthers. Brady is another future HOF QB playing on a team below .500. 😎

The Packers blow and mostly so does Rodgers. I said last year he was one of the worst MVPs ever and he's showing more of why this year, off of many of his throws. This isn't all just having a weak WR crew (which he does). And their game plan is laughable. They should be using their RBs way more. 

Re the Bucs, they may not be as good as the last year or two but nobody and I mean NOBODY should have lost to the Panthers. They already stunk, then got rid of two great weapons in McCaffrey and Anderson AND were playing their what, third- or fourth-string QB? That loss was shocking and hilarious. But don't count out the Bucs. They have too much talent. 

Also shocking to me is that the Colts have the worst offense in the league. Apparently Ryan hit the (old age) wall and is done. I know their OL is weak but wow. I don't think you'll see Reich come January, if not sooner. 

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

The Chief's and 49ers have each scored 4 times. Chief's lead by 12. You can't kick field goals against the Chief's and expect to win.

Great catch by Kittle for a TD, now it's a game. Or not.

Not.  :)  SF collapsed in the second half and once again Garappolo showed why he is the backup QB and not the answer. Poor McCaffrey; imagine if someone like the Rams or Eagles or Bucs got him? (Actually on the Rams it wouldn't matter, they have no OL.)

• Like 1

The Bucs and Packers would have winning records if they committed to the running game.

So, it's fitting that both 1st ballot HOF QBs (Brady and Rodgers) are having such a hard time with their passing game for several reasons. 

I would not be surprised if Brady and Rodgers hung up their cleats after this season. Problem is their teams do not have a real QB succession plan.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Just as the 49ers had Joe Montana, Steve Young, and then Jeff Garcia, the Packers had Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and then (in)famously drafted Jordan Love a couple of years ago in the first round.

Will Love be better than Jeff Garcia? Seems possible.

There's no evidence yet that Love will eventually wind up in the Hall of Fame, but time will tell...

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The Bucs and Packers would have winning records if they committed to the running game.

So, it's fitting that both 1st ballot HOF QBs (Brady and Rodgers) are having such a hard time with their passing game for several reasons. 

I would not be surprised if Brady and Rodgers hung up their cleats after this season. Problem is their teams do not have a real QB succession plan.😎

Brady* will, but then he'll change his mind a month later.

• Haha 1

Niners had planned for Trey Lance to take over this year and started reconfiguring the offense around him.  Bad stroke of luck for Lance to be lost for the season.  This offense is going to be frightening with Lance at the helm, barring some unforeseen regression in Lance's development (reading through progressions, accuracy, etc.).   His mobility opens ups more doors for all their playmakers - backs, hybrids (Deebo and CM), WRs, Kittle - than Jimmy G's.

Despite the 44 points allowed, I think their D is mostly fine.  It's impossible to stop Mahommes when he's on a hot streak.  Best you can do is slow him down a little so your own offense can keep up in a shootout.   The NFC doesn't have an offense like KC's - that's the other reason I'm not worried about the Niner D.

Chargers' Mike Williams to miss a few weeks

I guess this increases the odds of the Chargers trading for a veteran WR.  They already called up Bandy from the practice squad.  Bandy is serviceable as a slot WR, but can't be used for MDub's role - he's not fast enough to punish defenses deep on busted coverage, or lanky enough to out jump his defender for the ball.  If they could have poached a WR from another team's practice squad they would have done so already.

JC Jackson's knee injury pretty much ends his season.  Not quite the impact player the Chargers hoped for, but we'll see if it's all his fault or whether the coaches share some blame.  Reality check says this coaching staff might not be all that good.   I've always preferred offensive and defensive schemes that are simple and let the players use their athleticism - this system seems a bit too complicated.

Still rubbing my eyes at the Seahawks, who are doing way better than I could have expected. All through the spring and summer coach Carroll kept talking up Geno, but I just thought it was hype because of the trade. But he's the real deal, and he's giving the team a more diverse offense. Among other things we now have a quick passing game over the middle - something Russ seldom did because of his height.

Maybe even more surprising is this draft class. For years Carroll/Schneider have been drafting horribly, but this time they really hit it - with 5 starters in the first 6 picks! That includes corner Tariq Wollen, who has a shot at Rookie of the Year. 

For the first time in years I'm excited about the team. 

Just rambling away waiting for Monday Night Football... sorry. 

3 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Colts bench QB Matt Ryan, will start Sam Ehlinger rest of way

Ryan has a Grade 2 shoulder separation, so he’d be out for awhile anyway; but once he heals, the Colts plan to use him in a backup role. 

When the Colts traded for QB Matt Ryan I knew it would similar to them renting QB Philip Rivers and QB Carson Wentz.

I know what coaches and GMs are hoping for with these washed up QBs but it's not going to work if they were never Manning or Brady and don't have a solid team in place. 

The cap hit Colts will take for the flyer on QB Ryan is around $17M if they decide to move away from him. 

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

I guess this increases the odds of the Chargers trading for a veteran WR. 

I heard the Steelers are talking calls regarding WR Chase Claypool. He would be a good fit out there in LA. 

Meanwhile, the Pats may have a QB controversy brewing between starting QB Mac Jones and 3rd string QB Bailey Zappe. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Meanwhile, the Pats may have a QB controversy brewing between starting QB Mac Jones and 3rd string QB Bailey Zappe. 😎

Can't help but wonder when the Pats O goes from excellent point productivity under Zappe to their current production vs. the Bears.

Sometimes the backup does prove to be a better fit for the team than the starter - eg. Heineke vs. Wentz for the Commanders.  The level of enthusiasm among the other offensive players for Heineke is not a good sign for Wentz too.

Well, after 3 turnovers, Zappe mania might be tempered.  Both he and QB Mac Jones ran into a buzzsaw Bears defense tonight. 😎

PD

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

When the Colts traded for QB Matt Ryan I knew it would similar to them renting QB Philip Rivers and QB Carson Wentz.

Except it's not. :)  Ryan SHOULD have been similar to the Rivers situation (a talented QB near the end of his career looking for a last hurrah) but needless to say it hasn't worked out. Not all Ryan's fault to say the least, the Colts' OL quickly went from one of the best to one of the worst, but still. And Wentz is not as good as Rivers or Ryan (before this year) or even close.

I know what coaches and GMs are hoping for with these washed up QBs 

Rivers was certainly not washed up and by all accounts, Ryan was far from it too, but that's the risk you take with an aging vet...you don't know when they're going to hit the wall.  

Yes, so wild. My first thought was this is an overreaction (and still might be), but there's no denying so far NE looks better with Zappe at the helm. IMO Belichek is jumping the gun here and should stick with Jones, but it's a tricky thing.

5 hours ago, Bill H. said:

Still rubbing my eyes at the Seahawks, who are doing way better than I could have expected.

Join the rest of the world. Most expected them to vie for the top draft pick next year. I don't think they'll get too far this year, but props for making everyone wonder. 

It’s interesting to watch famous coach and quarterback teams to see how successful they are after splitting. Tom Brady went on to win another Super Bowl, while Bill Belichick has struggled.

Next up, it’s Pete Carroll who is doing great, while Russell Wilson is ... not.

Best,

Geoff

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

Rivers was certainly not washed up and by all accounts, Ryan was far from it too, but that's the risk you take with an aging vet...you don't know when they're going to hit the wall.  

Add QB Russell Wilson's name to the wall as well. 🤣

The Broncos offense seemed better last year without a falling star at QB.😁

We watched Big Ben stumble around the ring for 2 extra rounds before he uncuffed the Steelers.

Teams have to double down on having a solid OL and running game especially if they're going to gamble with a vet QB. 

Despite QB friendly rules that favor QBs,  defenses are faster and stronger. A QB has to be able to get out of his own way especially if/when the play breaks down. These aging guys aren't doing it so well. 😎

• Like 1

PD

What made Russell Wilson so special in Seattle was his mobility, but if that's fading in the sunset it's gonna be a rough ride with the Broncos. He's already had two injuries this year already (shoulder, hamstring).

His beef with the Seahawks was that he didn't have much say in the offensive scheme. I assume he's got that now, or else he wouldn't have signed with Denver. So this is his baby to figure out as much as Nathaniel Hackett's. 

Carroll (the old college coach) has gotta be in heaven coaching up his new crop of young 'uns. Vets (Sherman most vocally) would often complain about his rah rah style, but that's just who Pete is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill H. said:

What made Russell Wilson so special in Seattle was his mobility...

His beef with the Seahawks was that he didn't have much say in the offensive scheme.

Carroll (the old college coach) has gotta be in heaven coaching up his new crop of young 'uns. 

Let's see...after about 8 years or so under tutelage, the student (Wilson) felt that he was as smart as the teacher (Carroll). 

Now, the well paid student (Wilson) is floundering around like a fish out of water while the old ball coach teacher (Carroll) is angling with a new class.😁

QB Geno Smith is having the best year of his journeyman career under the old ball coach.😎

• Like 1

PD

Marshawn Lynch and Richard Sherman convo... Sherman's still mad at Russ over the Superbowl loss, while it seems like Lynch's take on Russ was more nuanced.    On the one hand, it's weird that neither of them had his phone number, and had to call his manager to contact him.  OTOH, Lynch still wants him to do well.

Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson shared the same backfield. I'm not too surprised that Lynch is rooting for Wilson to succeed.

I'm rooting for him too, of course. I rooted for Wilson as far back as his UW days. I hope he can turn things around in Denver.

Best,

Geoff

IMO trading for a fading vet at the end of their career hoping for one last hurrah almost never makes sense and almost never works out. The thing is that both Wilson and Ryan were still playing at a high level when they were signed by the Broncos and Colts. 

It's a weird year!!

11 hours ago, bill5 said:

The thing is that both Wilson and Ryan were still playing at a high level when they were signed by the Broncos and Colts. 

Maybe they should have lobbied to bring their favorite o-linemen from their previous teams and/or insured their new teams had a decent OL. 😁

Honestly, I thought Wilson and Ryan had enough tread on their tires to do well with their new teams.

I also thought their destination teams were a good fit too.  It went sideways fast.😎

• Like 1

PD

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Kenneth Walker III hit a top speed of 22 MPH on one of his gamebreaking runs.  😲 

That young man is quietly having one helluva season. 

The Bills and Chiefs and Derrick Henry and Saquon Barkley among RBs get most of the attention.😎

• Like 2

PD

Chargers brought back edge player Jeremiah Attaochu, with Bosa still out, and his main backup Rumph also out for several weeks.

The WR position will take a little longer for them to address.  With Keenan Allen unable to play a full game vs. the Seahawks, Mike Williams and Josh Palmer both out  multiple weeks, the Chargers may be looking at bringing in 2 new WRs instead of 1.

Some are calling for Staley to hand over defensive playcalling to his DC Renaldo Hill, based on the track record of HCs who also call defensive plays.  

Some are also calling for OC Lombardi to be fired, bringing up his time with the Lions as an argument that this is a coach who doesn't learn from past mistakes.  San Diego State fired their OC/QB coach a couple of weeks ago and that move, along with other moves, immediately brought much-needed stability to the offense.  However, I don't think they'll fire Lombardi - if they can add a deep threat WR that might be enough to save Lombardi's job.   Even if the new WR is only good for running deep routes (sucks at jet sweeps, screens, etc.) giving Herbert somebody to throw that 70-yd pass to would be better than nobody, which is the present situation.