Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC3 vs. FA07, which to buy?

I have no experience or knowledge about the PC3.

I have an FA-07 and a Nord Electro 3. I find the EP and Wurli sounds in the FA-07 unsatifying - I have tried the ones that come from the older PCM and SRX sounds, and the newer ones on the FA-07 that are not PCM/SRX based. The EP and Wurli sounds in my Nord Electro 3 are much better. I don't know how these Nord Electro 3 EP and Wurli sounds compare to what is available in the PC3.

The FA-07 has great split flexibility, and has a lot a really useful sounds that work great in a covers band even though they may initially seem unimpressive when you first try them by yourself at home.

5 hours ago, GotKeys said:

So after comparing the sounds of both, as well as reading the manuals about figuring out how to program each of them, I have landed on the PC3 being a better choice for me and just bought it!  I should get it by the end of next week.

Congrats. Coming from another Kurz fan here good choice I’d say, although I haven’t played an FA to compare. However, I do think Roland and especially Novation are kicking everybody’s butt in VA IMO. I feel certain that Kurz could catch up if they put their collective minds to it, just not sure if they have the desire to compete there.

I must say I am rather infatuated with the Summit and Peak, just fantastic sounding synths! All those knobs and sliders on the Novations and Rolands are sweet too. 

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Just got a notification from the shipper that it shipped yesterday and it should arrive Wednesday, but I have my doubts, since I didn't pay for first class shipping, and they said 3-5 business days, and here in the US (as I'm sure some of you guys know) Monday is a national holiday (President's Day)

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Depends on the gig.  For my main Pop gig the FA7 hands down.  

For the gigs most people my age play then the PC3 hands down.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Congrats on a wise choice. You won't regret it. Been using one in my rig since early 2017. I love it.

If you'll be using the KB3 (organ) sounds... If you don't have a Vent, check out that internal Double Leslie... pretty good, next best thing to a Vent. I believe Delaware Dave did some tweaking on that to improve it.`

Yeah, do watch out for the known problems these units can have, such as flickering LCD screen, or finicky pitch wheel. My screen went out about 3 years into my use of it (bought it used, too)... and repair was very inexpensive (depending on who you find). Never had the pitch wheel go out on me. You might get lucky and have none of these problems, or the previous owner may have fixed it.

Good luck!

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

1 hour ago, synthizen2 said:

and repair was very inexpensive

Thanks for the info, I almost bought a Korg M3 with a bad touchscreen digitizer and would've cost more than the board was worth to fix.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

17 hours ago, GotKeys said:

Thanks for the info, I almost bought a Korg M3 with a bad touchscreen digitizer and would've cost more than the board was worth to fix.

The Korg M3 has a digital TOUCHscreen, while the PC3 has an ordinary LCD screen... and it wasn't the LCD screen itself on the PC3 that went bad, it was a connection to it, or an issue with the power supply getting the proper voltage to it. Thus, a $160 repair on an $1,100 valued synth. But your mileage may vary.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Just now, synthizen2 said:

The Korg M3 has a digital TOUCHscreen, while the PC3 has an ordinary LCD screen... and it wasn't the LCD screen itself on the PC3 that went bad, it was a connection to it, or an issue with the power supply getting the proper voltage to it. Thus, a $160 repair on an $1,100 valued synth. But your mileage may vary.

Ah, I see.
I knew the M3 was a touchscreen, I almost bought it for like $600 with a bad touch layer, and when I called up my local synth repair shops they wanted enough money to not make the M3 worth it.

UPDATE: Thanks to the magic of sleet here in the northeast, the PC3's delivery has been delayed from yesterday to today or tomorrow, most likely tomorrow.

UPDATE 2:  The PC3 was apparently broken in someway when I ordered it and the seller decided to not tell me for some reason, so I he has given me a refund and I'm back to shopping.

• Sad 2

I spent a lot of time and effort researching and learning the FA, then spent about six hours in total playing one on multiple visits to the music store 10 minutes away.

I discounted the FA because it was a very old design and old sounds, that was nearly 30 months ago and the FA has not been updated since.

Col