Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

electric piano + leslie?

I was just messing around with some DAW VSTs today, and needed to liven up some ep tracks. Normally I'd keep the Leslie VST for the organ sounds, but tried it today on the ep. I don't recall hearing it on any keyboards I've tried, unless I didn't know it was that combination, just another sound. Now I've heard it, I'm pretty sure it's used on a Steely Dan track I've heard. The melody and chord tracks were separate so I only needed it for the chords. I think it would have been OTT for both. Are there any keyboards which already have ep+leslie patches?

Jimmy Greenspoon of Three Dog Night used a Leslie on his RMI and probably on his Wurlitzer at times. It sounds like John Lennon may have run his Hohner Pianet through a slow Leslie on "I Am the Walrus".

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

I run my Rhodes through a Yamaha RA-50 rotating amp. It's a fantastic sound. The Yamaha has the advantage of completely bypassing the rotary speakers and going to the main (stationary speakers) only, just on a footswitch. When routing through the rotating speakers, a footswitch selects slow/fast.

I also program similar patches on my primary synths (the Rhodes + RA-50 is too big to go places often). Full Leslie simulation on a Rhodes patch is okay for some things. But I also like a layered hybrid: On both my VK-8 and Nord, I layer a Rhodes with organ/leslie, with only  8" drawbar. With Leslie running slow it is a subtle chorus, but it becomes more obvious when switching to fast.

Mike.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

9 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Rhodes through a Leslie 760 is awesome.  That was my gigging rig 1981 to 1983.

The piano solo on Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive version "Do You Feel Like We Do?" is a Rhodes through a Leslie.

I always assumed it was a phaser, but I've tried with my Vent before and yup, that works!

Acoustic piano through a Leslie shows up on a few 60s and 70s classics -- the first one that  comes to mind is Elton John's piano on "Dirty Little Girl" from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. There's gotta be a Beatles track with Leslie piano too. "Birthday" maybe?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

2 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Acoustic piano through a Leslie shows up on a few 60s and 70s classics -- the first one that  comes to mind is Elton John's piano on "Dirty Little Girl" from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. There's gotta be a Beatles track with Leslie piano too. "Birthday" maybe?

Echos, Pink Floyd in Pompei

Maurizio 

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

Many years ago there was a regional touring band that regularly came through our area with a dude who ran his Freeman string machine though a Leslie. They played a lot of Moody Blues, Genesis, and Pink Floyd. Sounded fantastic.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My very first barroom rig -- age 15 -- comprised a Wurly and a Morley (the original imitation Leslie stomp box) in a country band.  Mostly used as a volume pedal, I imitated organ by rolling chords with damper pedal down while the rotor was on fast; and of course I used it on Mama Told Me.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

13 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

…and don’t get me started about guitars and basses through the Leslie… 🥰😎🥳

dB

I think we talked about this at the last KC hang, but watching Get Back and seeing the techs just roll in a brand-new Leslie 147 in original packaging for George Harrison to play through anytime he wanted was such an incredible gear geek moment.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 2/15/2022 at 5:32 AM, SamuelBLupowitz said:

On Boz Scaggs's "Lowdown" too I suspect.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

George Harrison is the quintessential "Leslie Riffist." (historical moment 💥 I just invented this term for a superb Master of memorable original riffs). George Harrison was a Master while people of his era like Hendrix, Kossoff, Clapton, Santana and Gilmour were students and experimenters. They would rent a Leslie, George would show up and improvise a riff that would frequently end up being the best part of the songs. It Don't Come Easy, Badge, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, great memorable hits but it is George's Leslie'd riffs that are the cherry on top.