Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Was Bob Welch a key member of Fleetwood Mac?

Ivan May

I have been listening to pre Buckingham Fleetwood Mac for the past few years and always felt that Bob Welch was a huge part of their sound.

He was around the time that FM had switched from the blues rock of earlier to a more pop rock styled direction.

He was one of the few members to be excluded from the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony when Fleetwood Mac was inducted in 1998, largely due to outstanding royalties for which he sued them years earlier. Bob never got along with his band mates it seems.

He didn’t deserve that, but I felt he had a great solo career. French Kiss in 1977, Three Hearts in 1979. I also felt that his best songs in Fleetwood Mac were Emerald Eyes and Hypnotized. Lindsey dropped much of the Welch era from Fleetwood set list because he felt it just wasn’t his style to play.

Here is Bob in 1973 playing a white Gibson SG

68B2FDFB-8B3A-491A-A6EC-D4D53E58DD1F.jpeg.3acc0c81812b6ec47fb220cae50ce35b.jpeg

I hope some Fleetwood fan appreciates this thread.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Years ago, I paid $7.50 to see Deep Purple, with Fleetwood Mac and Rory Gallagher. 

The Mac played the hit they had with Bob Welch - Sentimental Lady.

I don't know if I would like that song now but I didn't care for it back then. They seemed sort of uncomfortable and out of sorts on stage and didn't put out much of a performance.

Part of that might have been following Rory, he ate everybody's lunch, far and away one of the best performers I've ever seen. 

Deep Purple was great but the show went to Rory, he just steamrolled over everybody else there. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I saw Fleetwood Mac at the Fillmore East in the Summer of 1970. IIRC correctly, Peter Green had just left the band, mid-way through that U.S. tour, so I'm pretty sure it was Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan I saw that night? I thought Bob Welch joined a bit later, in time for Mystery To Me?

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I saw FM live about 3 +/-  years ago in Sacramento, CA.  They were just back from a Canada tour and Christine McVie was back with the group.  Lindsey Buckingham was still with the band and he was just fantastic.  Later in life when he was omitted from the group, I was omitted from the future audiences as well.  This was my favorite lineup, and I still love their music.  I probably will not buy future tickets as Lindsey really kept things alive and I miss him too much. Not discounting the other guitarists that have played with the band over the years...😎

ps. Welcome aboard IMMusicRuiz!

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

I always liked Fleetwood Mac, I probably only knew of them after Peter Green joined but I am sure I heard those first albums as well with Bob Welch. But in the earliest days I was only slightly acquainted with Fleetwood Mac's music. I never saw them live nor bought any of their albums. But I did see some of the shows featuring them on the tube. Probably after Lindsey Buckingham joined them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

I saw Fleetwood Mac at the Fillmore East in the Summer of 1970. IIRC correctly, Peter Green had just left the band, mid-way through that U.S. tour, so I'm pretty sure it was Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan I saw that night? I thought Bob Welch joined a bit later, in time for Mystery To Me?

Future Games was the first FM album Welch played on. He replaced Jeremy Spencer

9 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Future Games was the first FM album Welch played on. He replaced Jeremy Spencer

Ah, thanks for that! It's been a lo-o-ong time . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com