Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Flags at half-staff in Guitarland

Rest in Peace Don Wilson...

My 1st band was a Ventures tribute band back around '65 (before there were tribute bands).  We were High School kids that played Ventures tunes by ear and did quite a few gigs until '69.  3 of us still get together to this day and enjoy playing the old Ventures tunes...You will be missed Don.  I was the rhythm player in our band and we will always have this in common.... 😎

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Take care, Larryz

I listened to Walk Don't Run, Raunchy, Sleep Walk, and Honky Tonk, all the time when I was a kid. They were on the Jukebox and played often in every local hang out in the early 60's RIP Don Wilson.

• Like 2

One of my happiest moments as a teen-ager was opening for the Ventures. Being a huge Ventures fan, I mean, c'com...what could be better for a kid in a band, growing up in the 60s?!? (Well, maybe being able to afford a Mosrite guitar...did those things look cool, or what?)

They sure left a legacy. What a great band. I couldn't wait to hear what their next single was going to be. And that tone, with the vibrato tailpiece...wow.

Rest in peach, Don Wilson. You guys did good!!

• Like 4

Before I started playing guitar I was listening to The Ventures in Space album all the time. Then I got the first Play Guitar With The Ventures album which really helped me get started on guitar. Then I got the second PGWTV album and started a band with some friends doing instrumentals from both albums. So Don Wilson and The Ventures were a major factor in my early musical development. So sad all the original members are now gone.

• Like 3

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

TUBI TV is running a Ventures history featuring interviews with band members and well-known musicians like Skunk Baxter., Mark Farner, and Bruce Springsteen who were big fans.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact