Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Case Recommendations for M-Audio Hammer 88?

So far it looks like the Gator cases would be ones that fit but they're almost as expensive as the keyboard itself. If it's inevitable that I have to spend that much on a case, I guess I'll have to do it then, but anyone have any other potential brand suggestions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its generally either Gator or SKB. Those ATA-rated resin-based cases are worth every penny. I traveled with an SKB for a few years and it was a champion through everything, even a bit of rain. I saw some baggage handlers drop it on the tarmac once and it never blinked. Make sure to buy a model with wheels on it. There are few pains quite like the pain of a bent back suffering from hauling 40+ pounds of synth through airports by the handle. Think of it as cheap insurance that pays off repeatedly.

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

Having bought one of those SKB soft cases with wood sides to try to keep weight down for my Hammer 88 Pro (and now Kurzweil PC4), I'll just say you're better off getting a hard case. Your soft case with wheel choices all purport to weigh around 20 lbs. All I know is that my 40lb+ Yamaha YCMOTIF8 hard case is easier to move around than that SKB wood-reinforced case. The problem is that these soft wheeled cases seem to have the wheels placed in a bad position relative to the ground, and since I'm only 5'6" and the case has to be long there's very little ground clearance achievable. Poor engineering. The difficulty in having the case scrape the ground every time there's a crack in the concrete hugely outweighs any lighter weight benefits there should theoretically be. Save yourself the trouble and just get a hard case.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments