Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thomann shares top sellers for 2021

The list developer says that when analyzing the data purely on sales, the cheapest noise makers dominate the list. So this is based on sales at that generate the most money for the dealer.

20 â Arturia MicroFreak â £279

19 â Polyend Tracker â £499

18 â Behringer DeepMind 12 â £622

17 â Behringer MonoPoly â £511

16 â Elektron Digitakt £629

15 â Arturia PolyBrute â £2,059

14 â Elektron Octatrack MKII â £1,111

13 â Moog Matriarch â £1,755

12 â Moog DFAM â £495

11 â Sequential Prophet 10 â £3,666

10 â Elektron Analog Rytm MKII â £1,369

9 â Roland TR-8S â £533

6 â Akai MPC Live II â £885

7 â Native Instruments Maschine + â £855

6 â Behringer Poly D â £538

5 â Korg Minilogue XD â £459

4 â Sequential Prophet REV2-8 â £1,355

3 â Teenage Engineering OP-1 â £969

2 â Behringer 2600 â £425â¦

1 â Akai MPC One â £579

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to say the least. The shift to computer DAW and hunt for unique sounds in modern production is apparent.

Behringer"s sub $1k retro analogue products have made a big dent in the market. Korg and Moog have the Minilogue and DFAM to compete in that space (though the dfam is designed for percussion).

If people are willing/able to spend more on an analogue synth, they choose Sequential REV2 or a Moog Matriarch.

Reverb consistently shows the OP-1 as a top seller (used and new sales combined). Thomann data suggests a good chunk of that is still new sales.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Shockingâ¦Nord and Yamaha have nothing in the top 20. Another surprise, Dreadbox is absent. Interesting how wildly popular the OP-1 still is.

The items that made the list all appeal to DJ/producer types, which is a demographic that has little intersection with MusicPlayer forum members.

Nord and Yamaha do not seem interested in courting that demographic at all at the present time. Neither makes grooveboxes, drum machines, or desktop modules. They seem more interested in the Keyboard Corner demographic - that should make you guys happy, right?

When I go to the Thomann site, I see a different list with Minilogue XD at #1. Maybe OP chose different criteria for sorting/filtering

I finally scratched my Behringer/ARP 2600 itch...managed to get a sale price here in the US that more-or-less equaled what I'd have paid if I got the thing from Thomann.

Speaking as a Moog-centric kind of guy, it's weird to mess with a 2600. I have fond memories of the ARP version from back in the '70s when I played bass in a band with a guy who had a real one. This is the first time I've had my hands on one since then and it's going to take getting used to. It challenges all my preconceived notions and go-to setting reflexes.

Interesting to see that it's #2 on the list. While I'd be quick to point out how important ARP was for music (Weather Report, Edgar Winter, Star Wars sound effects, etc.), it never dawned on me that the bloody thing would be popular enough to rise that high on the list. I would have thought that it would be...what?...more of a nostalgia thing? I'm not sure. But for it to be that high up, it seems that the appeal is more broad-based than I'd realized.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

No real surprises here. For every megasynth sold, the company sells 1000+ of their entry-level instruments. You also have to be one of those 1000+ for a while before you're ready for the battleships. Make that 10,000, especially since COVID began its tour. There is meaningful appeal to being able to sound like a demigod for small change now. The $350 D-05 sounds as good as the (IIRC) $1700 D-50 did.

*We The Super-Serious* are a subset of the great unwashed (and too often unvaccinated) who just want a fun distraction. Slagging Behringer for making copies seems disingenuous when most of the players are falling all over themselves to sound like Depeche Mode, Skrillex and/or Vangelis. :sleep:

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

Am I evil for being happy the MicroFreak is as far down as it is? I understand it's a neat and great sounding synth, but I DO NOT want keybeds to go in that direction. I was worried that chincy flat "cool" keybeds would be all the rage and many companies would follow suit. I already roll my eyes at Korg's Micro line, but the MicroFreak is just NOT designed for keyboard performance. I'm totally cool with it being what it is, but I don't want my favorite synth lines downsized to that crap.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

To be fair, I don't believe the MicroFreak was targeted toward the demographic of this site - actual keyboard players. I suspect they were just trying to do something different - perhaps inspired by/an homage to the touch plate "keyboard" Don Buchla attached to the Music Easel long ago (which I've lusted after for many years but never been able to justify spending the $$$). I have a hard time believing that would start a touch plate revolution amongst other manufacturers.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

Agreed. It was just a cool way to activate notes and provide control. Nobody in their right mind wants traditional keybeds to go away entirely. I recently sold my MicroFreak. It was a fascinating instrument but I just didn't get along with the user interface.

What I find a bit more irksome is that the ASM Hydrasynth isn't on this list. Everything in the top 18 is a blatant rehash of older designs, with a few new and hopefully intriguing bells and whistles here and there. My hope is that the Hydrasynth Explorer will be high on next year's list.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music