Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MI Hopes for 2022

Yamaha CP and YC continue to get firmware updates based on user base feedback.

That Fatar"s new TP/400W is a winner with piano players and it shows up in products from Kurzweil, Nord, etc.

That Casio takes the mountain of user feedback they received on the PX-5S and shifts their attention to its successor.

That quality semiweight synth actions trickle down into the sub $2k synths from everyone.

â¦

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My hope is that music gear manufacturers wise up to the opportunities that abound in the aging baby boomer market.

Baby boomers got money and buy cool products they understand and can easily use. In 2022, create user-friendly tutorial videos and make it easier for not-so-high-tech baby boomers to learn and maximize cool products.

Steve Coscia

That Fatar"s new TP/400W is a winner with piano players and it shows up in products from Kurzweil, Nord, etc.

That Casio takes the mountain of user feedback they received on the PX-5S and shifts their attention to its successor.

That quality semiweight synth actions trickle down into the sub $2k synths from everyone.

â¦

â¦

Elmer,

I play a CP4 and a YC61. I put a request on IdeaScale for Yamaha to bring back the SCM modeling tech for AP"s and EP"s that made the CP1 and CP4 such wonderful 'instruments' (as opposed yo keyboards connected to samples.

The idea has been garnering votes and favorable comments, and IdeaScale indicates it"s under consideration.

My hope is that this comes to fruition in the current CP"s and YC"s, but I suspect that for hardware reasons, it will have yo be on new models.

Dov

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

â¦

â¦

Elmer,

I play a CP4 and a YC61. I put a request on IdeaScale for Yamaha to bring back the SCM modeling tech for AP"s and EP"s that made the CP1 and CP4 such wonderful 'instruments' (as opposed yo keyboards connected to samples.

The idea has been garnering votes and favorable comments, and IdeaScale indicates it"s under consideration.

My hope is that this comes to fruition in the current CP"s and YC"s, but I suspect that for hardware reasons, it will have yo be on new models.

Dov

I know SCM on the CP1, CP4, reface CP was used for the electric pianos and for the FX - Amp Models, Reverbs, EQ, Compression, etc., But I believe the acoustic pianos on those instruments are sample libraries. Although, in the programming and routing of an acoustic piano sound as a whole may make use of the SCM signal path. I suppose similar to what Roland does/did with SuperNatural. But perhaps that synthesis engine was necessary because they were working with small less detailed sample libraries?

I hope that Expressive E is finally able to deliver Osmose in Q1 per their current projections, and that I'm not too far down their list! The promise of a really expressive keyboard with familiar action and an intriguing synthesis engine has been lingering, teasing for so long. It's time to make our dreams come true!

... and of course that presumes that it really does live up to expectations, but everyone who has had hands-on time assures that it doesn't disappoint. Here's hoping.

• Like 3

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Hoping that Guido builds the Electro killer, i.e. an SMC with 73 or 76 semi-weighted keys, 9 drawbars with a Gemini module built into it although unlikely since he discontinued the Gemini made for the DMC-122 OR ..... a DMC 134 with 61 keys upper and 73 piano keys on the bottom (akin to an Orla Jamkey) with a Gemini.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Korg, Yamaha, and Roland realize that aftertouch isn"t a luxury feature and start putting it back on their keyboards.

Korg puts aftertouch and 9 sliders on the Nautilus.

Korg comes out with a Kronos successor that is truly a big step above the now discontinued Kronos 2.

Yamaha comes out with an FM synth with programmable algorithms.

The religion of worshipping analog synthesizers comes to an end.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 3:55 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

I know SCM on the CP1, CP4, reface CP was used for the electric pianos and for the FX - Amp Models, Reverbs, EQ, Compression, etc., But I believe the acoustic pianos on those instruments are sample libraries. Although, in the programming and routing of an acoustic piano sound as a whole may make use of the SCM signal path. I suppose similar to what Roland does/did with SuperNatural. But perhaps that synthesis engine was necessary because they were working with small less detailed sample libraries?

@ElmerJFuddper BadMister of Yamaha fame:

The acoustic and electric pianos found on the CP4 Stage are recreated via SCM - a rather new Physical Modeling technology where velocity switching of pre-recorded samples is not used. The data representing the instrument modeled is assembled via pure number crunching, harmonic analysis and reassembly on demand. 

It’s both the EP’s and AP’s on the CP4 that are modeled, rather than sampled. I suspect that’s why the CP4’s AP’s play so much like real grand pianos, at least to my hands.

At one point, in another exchange that I had with him on YamahaSynth, Phil (BadMister) explained to me that SCM is actually the newer technology, and AWM2 sampling is older. I’m not sure why the latest CP’s and YC’s use the older tech, but I feel there is a huge difference. 

I hope my CP4 lasts a long time. I wouldn’t think of replacing it with any keyboard I’ve tried, as none of them have quite the fingers-instrument connection that the AP’s have on the CP4.

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

Hmmm, I would suggest to avoid the marketing speak on SCM with regard to the CP1/CP4 and acoustic piano sounds.  Yamaha has never really committed to a fully modeled acoustic piano in an instrument like the Roland V-Piano.  They don't seem to feel that physical modeling alone produces results they are happy with.   

Explained by BadMister:

Introduction to the CP4 Stage Piano - Yamaha Synth

"You are basically provided complete multi-samples of three very expensive Yamaha acoustic pianos: the CFX, the CFIIIS and the S6. You are also given actual physical models of the classic tine pianos (FenderRhodes/Rhodes), the reed pianos (Wurlitzer), and the electro acoustic pianos (Yamaha CP80). Meticulous samples of the classic FM electric piano sounds (Yamaha DX7)....  A VOICE in the CP4 STAGE is either an acoustic piano engine, a physical model of a vintage EP or an AWM2 sample playback tone source. Each of these Voice architectures has certain functions and parameters that 'come along' with it when you recall it."

My 2022 Xmas list:

1) I just want a keyboard running Kontakt with a .m2 slot to put your SSD in, and enough knobs to have fun.

2) A 11Kg version of the Crumar Seven.

Maurizio

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

27 minutes ago, mauriziodececco said:

My 2022 Xmas list:

1) I just want a keyboard running Kontakt with a .m2 slot to put your SSD in, and enough slots to have fun.

2) A 11Kg version of the Crumar Seven.

Maurizio

My brain sizzles at the idea of Kawai buying NI, or snatching up Young Chang and Kurzweil.  Too far fetched… Yamaha bought Steinberg and Bösendorfer within 3 years of each other. 

My first hope is that MI software producers do not move to a subscription model, or if they do, they provide sensible upgrade paths for customers who have already paid for their software.

My second hope is that MIDI 2.0 and similar developments result in interoperability between hardware and software at a control/automation/modulation level. (e.g. patching an lfo or envelope from a hardware synth to a software synth or vice versa). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 7:35 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

My brain sizzles at the idea of Kawai buying NI, or snatching up Young Chang and Kurzweil.  Too far fetched… Yamaha bought Steinberg and Bösendorfer within 3 years of each other. 

Hmm, I assumed NI was a bigger company than Kawai, but I just learned they were bought last year, so I guess I was wrong.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

On 12/28/2021 at 10:47 PM, Lady Gaia said:

I hope that Expressive E is finally able to deliver Osmose

Absolutely. And that Waldorf sorts out the QC problems that seem to still affect the Iridium, so that I can (sort of) justify getting one. :rolleyes: