Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Korg CX3: ways to improve overdrive with no ext help

To B3

I love the raw sound of my 2000´s Korg CX3, the interface, the keys, the fell. But the overdrive is the (very) weak point. My ideas of rock organ sounds are Gregg Rollie/Allman, Ian MacLagan, stuff like that. Any hack or internal edit to make it sound better without having to spend with external equipment? The leslie sim doesnt botter me, it´s the overdrive the main problem.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the owner of a new KORG BX-3 since 2003, I tried to tweak the tone by editing the organ patches on the product in many different ways. I finally came to realize that it is not going to happen through this method. So, I started to experiment with different amplification products. After many months of trial and error, I settled on purchasing a Motion-Sound PRO 145 that I got from Goff Professional.

It has a preamp circuit with a 12-AX7 tube setup by the Goff technician to my standards and has served me well in live performance and in recording. Yes, I have thought about other more recent available gear like the various Neo Instruments Vent products and the Loundsberry series of pedals for keyboards, but have never followed through and tried them out.

If I took the chance to experiment once more and invest in adding another product, it would be to get that Steve Winwood, Gimme Some Lovin' tone that is referred to by organists as "frying eggs."

https://www.msamps.com/pro-145

To the OP--The Neo Vent is the answer. Your Leslie experience will improve exponentially and the drive is excellent. You might think you're ok with the internal lez--but the Vent blows it out of the water.
Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

check cx3 manul pg 18 (pdf)

Amp Gain [0...99]

Adjust the gain (amplification) when the 'Amp Type' parameter is set to Type 1 or Type 2.

With high settings of this value, the sound will be distorted more severely when expression/overdrive

is raised.

check cx3 manul pg 18 (pdf)

Amp Gain [0...99]

Adjust the gain (amplification) when the 'Amp Type' parameter is set to Type 1 or Type 2.

With high settings of this value, the sound will be distorted more severely when expression/overdrive

is raised.

I sold my CX3 many years ago, but I recall the two Amp types did have noticeably different characteristics

You should also consider a Lester K pedal. It has an excellent overdrive sound and the Leslie sim is very good. I never owned a Vent so you may want to compare both to see which you like.

I have both the Lester K and the Ventilator II. While the Ventilator is very good, there is something I like about the Lester K. It has a more woody or boxy (in a good way) sound to me. The Vent offer more control/customization, but I would save some money and try the Lester K first.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Lots of good advice on external tools but I think OP is looking for ways to improve the onboard overdrive tone in the CX3 without adding additional equipment.

One other off the wall suggestion -- the CX3 has that unusual functionality where both sets of drawbars can be "joined" and used simultaneously to shape the tone of a single manual. I never messed with it much but OP might experiment to see if introducing the novelty of 18 drawbars to the organ tone might produce a better overdriven results to OP's ears.

It may also be worth checking that the organ has had the 2.0 update installed, as that added additional tonal options.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm intrigued by what people are saying about the Lester K. I have the Vent II but honestly don't like the dual functions of the knobs and find it easy to screw up the settings. I don't need that much tweaking, just want a good solid Leslie sim, meat and potatoes. I noticed they also have Lester G. Wondering how that sounds compared to the Lester K?

p.s.

I have been playing my 2020 CX-3 though my Motion Sound KBR-3D but it's just a matter of time before it completely craps out. The top rotor belt breaks ocasionally which is irritating to fix and while I love the XLR's on it the internal Leslie mics are supposedly garbage.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D