Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa Compact 2/2x Mini-Review

Hi All,

I was asking about lightweight MIDI keyboards here a few weeks ago, and ended up buying the Numa Compact 2. I liked it a lot, but the one I got had a blown (fuzzy) right-side speaker or amp. Given the situation with supply chains these days, the dealer wasn't able to get a replacement quickly, so I ended up swapping for a like-new Compact 2x with a warranty. So, I got to compare the two a little, and wanted to share my thoughts.

________

SOME CONTEXT

I did *not* buy this keyboard as an all-in-one gigging platform, or as my main controller for soft synths. I plan to use it mostly as a 2nd keyboard for my Nord Stage 3 Compact. As such, my priorities are 1) semi-weighted keyboard feel; 2) MIDI implementation; 3) size and weight. I'm also a little sensitive to cost: there are a couple of interesting master keyboards in the $750-1200US range that I didn't consider. I may -- or may not -- end up using the Numa for quick 'pickup' gigs down the road, where portability and simplicity trumps sound quality and/or flexibilty, as long as the basic functions meet a minimum set of standards. The onboard sounds are a bonus.

________

OVERALL

I like this keyboard design a lot. It's very lightweight, but doesn't feel like a toy. It won't be a perfect 88-key replacement for some players, due to the action. If one doesn't need the speakers, the keyboard can be powered over USB, rather than via the included 'floor lump' power supply.

The onboard sounds vary from useable to surprisingly good. Studiologic provides additional sounds on their website. For the most part, the effects are good, but the adjustments are limited.

The onboard speakers aren't enough to power any gig larger than 5-6 people in a room, but they are decent enough for home practice. The MIDI master keyboard implementation will not rival say, a Roland A-series, but it's useful.

________

KEYBED AND CONTROLS

The action, while usable, does *not* feel like an acoustic piano. The best I can liken it to is fairly new Rhodes with shimmed action (I tried this in the '70s), or maybe a really tight Wurli. But since I have tendon issues these day, it suits my needs well. I was concerned that the TP-9 action wouldn't be good enough for organ, but it's close enough to a TP-8O to work. I find the stock velocity curve doesn't match my Nord Stage 3 very well, but the 'soft' setting is better.

The keyboard includes Pitch and Mod joysticks. I was concerned that these might be cop-outs from 'real' wheels/bender, but they seem to work fine. The Pitch stick works the same in the L-R and U-D directions. The Mod stick controls CC1 from left to right; and CC74 on the other axis, with a RTC to a value of 64. The '2x adds nine sliders, sent to MIDI; as well as some dedicated organ controls, which are *not* sent via MIDI.

There are inputs for pedals, including expression. The keyboard supports the Studiologic SLP-3D (not included); thus, it allows half-damping. This is appealing to me, as the Nord Triple Pedal is kind of pricey.

________

SOUNDS

Tthe acoustic piano sounds are pretty good; the EP and organ sounds a little less so; and most of the rest falls into the 'great for that one song that needs {whatever}' category. Every preset can be modified, although the effects have limited adjustments. The chorus is decent, as is the reverb. The overdrive is pretty bad, and the Leslie sim not much better, IMHO -- certainly not dedicated-clonewheel quality. Both the organ and synth sounds seem a little better on the '2x. (They should: the '2 uses 100% sampling, while the '2x includes an organ model and a synth model.)

The extra sounds from the website add a couple of nice grand pianos, additional bass and brass, and some Mellotron. The MT flute and choir are as expected, but the 'strings' aren't the typical 3 Violins; more like an orchestral mix.

My Stage 3, however, isn't shaking in the corner ... ;)

________

MIDI

Some of the basics of the MIDI system are fixed: the global channel is always CH16, and the two main internal sounds are on CH1 and CH2. The split point can be programmed, but only globally. The '2x has two additional sound channels, which aren't available as a keyboard zone, nor are they part of the stored parameters of the programs. They can, however, can be accessed and controlled via CH3 and CH4 over MIDI or USB-MIDI. This makes it possible to play with a bass and drums, or guitar and sax, etc. accompaniment, if one has a tablet or laptop with sequencing software connected.

The two master keyboard zones, however, are more flexible. Each zone can map to any MIDI channel, and the zones can be split or layered. The pedals, joysticks, and sliders can be enabled/disable for each zone. On the '2x, the nine sliders can be mapped to any MIDI CC, the functions can be different for each side of the split/dual, and the min and max values do not have to be 0-127; in fact, they can be reversed. Each program can store a set of pedal, joystick, and slider functions; I found it useful to save 5-6 master controller setups to use with my main rig. While not quite 'full length,' the sliders work acceptably as drawbars.

The MIDI In can be set to merge with the keyboard into the MIDI Out stream.

________

LIMITATIONS

There are a few things I don't like. Some of them could, in theory, be changed in a future firmware update, and are marked as "FW+". (Updates are via USB.)

• The first two sliders are yellow; the other seven are black. This makes drawbar control challenging, especially on a darkened stage. I wish Studiologic would offer four more knobs in a third color option (grey?). I added 'dots' to the knobs to improve the visuals (see attached photo).
  • The split point is a global setting, rather than a per-program one. [FW+]
  • The keyboard always starts up as Program 1 (PC0). I wish it would remember the last setting. [FW+]
  • The display goes dark after a couple of minutes of inactivity, probably to save power. I wish this setting was programmable. [FW+]
  • The two effects have Amount knobs. This means that the basic effects are fixed, other than the mix level. I wish there was a speed control for the chorus, and decay for the reverb.
  • The Mod joystick is only capable of sending CC1 (0-127) and CC74 (0-127, with RTC to 64). I wish these settings were programmable. For that matter, it would be nice if the Pitch stick could handle both pitch bend and modulation, a la Roland. [FW+]
  • A lot of MIDI data is sent with program changes: zone volume, global and zone PC, slider settings per zone (*not* the current physical positions!). I'm a fan of 'less is more' in this area; if I want a PC or CC message, I'll send it explicitly in Cakewalk. The only settings that can be turned off are the MIDI Zone PC values (and the sliders, if disabled); all the others are coming your way, like it or not. I wish there was a 'quiet mode' to kill all of this nonsense. (As an interesting aside, if one disables the Zone PCs, the Bank Select values are still sent!) [FW+]

________

COMPACT 2 vs. 2X

The two keyboards are the same size, and arguably the same weight. The Compact 2 comes in a two-tone yellow-and-black color scheme, a nod to the Sledge synth, I guess. The Compact 2x, is mostly black, except for the yellow logos. I think it looks more 'professional' on a stage.

I didn't get much time to compare the two side by side, but the organ sounds are better on the '2x; and the synth sounds, too. The addition of the sliders alone is a big improvement for organ.

Is it $200US better? That's harder to say. For me, the black color and drawbars adds $75-100 to the value; the improved organ/synth will depend on how often I gig with the Compact alone. (In my circumstances, the cost was equal, so it was a no-brainer choice!)

2450.thumb.jpg.f76e2b0a38df0854ee31900fc600979b.jpg

• Like 1

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

http://halfmoon-switch.com

bw@wahler.us

I also own the NC2X and agree with your excellent review.

I would only add that IMO the NC2X's basic B3 emulation, excusing the bad Leslie sim and overdrive, is pretty good, with decent C/V and somewhat tweakable percussion. I only use the NC2X's Leslie sim with the C/V on, and then its poor quality is not so noticeable. It's unfortunate that you can't hard pan or separate L/R outputs so a good external Leslie sim could be added without affecting the other sounds.

Since I mainly gig with bands in mono, I also wish that the NC2X could sum to mono on output like on most other boards or internally with a button push like on my Nord 5D. As it now stands, I use the NC2X's right output when I play in mono through an external speaker and it's passable but I would still prefer to have the option of summing to mono on the board.

I'm still hoping that the NC2X's issues will be fixed in future updates, but after nearly two years of owning it and Studiologic now focusing on their new Numa X pianos, I'm beginning to lose hope. Having said this, even with the NC2X's problems, IMO it's a helluva lot of board for the price.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Thanks, AK. I've already added a couple of forgotten thoughts and corrected some typos.

Thanks bruce ive done a re read. Also i checked out your half moon company and got a kick out of seeing your products and a read of the Ashboys.

If you might be so kind to answer me this if you tried it..if i remember rightly from previous reading the compact 2x has stereo audio in so i can run the stereo audio of a second keyboard or midi player into the 2x thus eliminating the need for a mixer? I know it wont operate as a mixer but as an audio distribution centre.

When i do this on a Casio Privia i can operate volume sliders independant from each of the 2 synths. ie: turning down the privia allows the top keyboard to flow thru the audio without being turned down thus i have independant volumes on each keyboard. Ironically i still do this even when i have my keyboard amp with mixer built in or when im running the PA which is sitting next to me as it saves a mixer channel. is this something you have tried?

if i remember rightly from previous reading the compact 2x has stereo audio in so i can run the stereo audio of a second keyboard or midi player into the 2x

The only audio input is USB. So it can bring in audio from, say, an iPad or a laptop, but not a second keyboard, which would require line inputs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

if i remember rightly from previous reading the compact 2x has stereo audio in so i can run the stereo audio of a second keyboard or midi player into the 2x

The only audio input is USB. So it can bring in audio from, say, an iPad or a laptop, but not a second keyboard, which would require line inputs.

Thanks Scott....oh bugger!

Yes, Scott is correct: neither version has an Audio In. I guess one can't have everything at the price point. Actually, it's a pretty cool product, all things considered. For about $200-250US more than bare-bones products from the computer side (M-Audio, Alesis, Nektar), the Numa offers:

• Sampled instruments with effects
  • Expansion storage for more sounds
  • A 'real' keybed used in other MI gear
  • Splits and layers
  • Half-pedal damping
  • MIDI merge

And they didn't increase the size or the weight!

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

bw@wahler.us

Thanks guys my thoughts were to mate the Numa Cocal 2x to a Korg Kross 2 if i decided to replace my current setup.

Aiming for lightest schlepping setup possible. Ive read the Kross has an 1/8 audio input which i hope can be configured as i mentioned above. Assuming i just need a loom made to connect 2 x 1/4 inch to an 1/8 inch. Should be buyable ready made id imagine. Should get me where i want although it limits the Numa from being the master with other 2nd keyboards in a way

Secondly any thoughts on this....Ive read the long 2x thread many times and remember someone comparing the keybed feel to a Roland A33 from the 90s. If so this is acceptable to me i think as I had one i gigged with and found the feel very good at the time. But that was a time when weighted keys were too heavy to lug. In the meantime the Privias came along and changed that.

Ironically my dicky lungs makes the privia too heavy for me to lug when there is a possible lighter alternative. (the new Casio px3000s are not a considration as although they are beautifully slimline they are not much lighter than normal privias. Smoke and mirrors on that keyboard)

If the Numa Cocal 2x is indeed similar to a Roland A33 i feel its a keyboard i might be able to like feel wise although the Privias feel has dulled me to anything else. Even has dulled me to my semi weighted Oberheim MC 2000 ex (which i feel may feel similar) although the inbuilts sounds may be partly to blame as its setup for my wife to use and thus i havent midied anything to it in a long time. Maybe i should midi the privia to it to see if i get a like for semi weighted again.

Or maybe i shouldnt even buy anythig new as my gigging days maybe over as in Australia you cant gig unless you are vaccinated. My damaged lungs and causation from 20 years ago means vaccination could end my life anyway so i cant risk it. So at this stage i feel i may not be able to use any new purchase in future yet G.A.S. still dribbles out my posterior for them.

My research says that the Roland A-33 did, indeed, have the TP-9W keybed. So yes, neglecting the extra bulk's ability to add something to the mix -- and it's real: my Korg BX-3 felt 'more like a Hammond' than my CX-3 did -- the feel should be about the same.

Sorry to hear about your gigging situation ...

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

bw@wahler.us

My research says that the Roland A-33 did, indeed, have the TP-9W keybed. So yes, neglecting the extra bulk's ability to add something to the mix -- and it's real: my Korg BX-3 felt 'more like a Hammond' than my CX-3 did -- the feel should be about the same.

Thanks well im glad to hear it uses similar keybed to A33 as at the time i was amazed how crisp the A33 keybed felt for such a lightweight board. I think i went from a kurzweil K1000 semi weighted at 25 kg to the lightweight A33 at 8.1 kg. Ironically i carried it in a heavy SKB case i had but hey i was young then it was still heaps lighter than mu kurz in a ply session roadcase. Never the less it was a breath of featherlight air lugging that keybed instead of the Kurzweil. Although Roland insisted on haveing the pitch wheel to the left making it longer than needed but probably the least pitch wheel space of any Roland to their credit

I think the Numa Cocal 2x has both form and function of my desired physical attributes. Simiarly the diminuative korg kross has form weli sorted though by what i hear fails with the keybed feel. But thats ok as im intending the numa keybed to play most of the korgs sounds. Using the korg as a multi zoned module but with abitity to play as second keyboard. I like zoning.

Due to my uncertaintanty of future gigging i have decided to chase both these as 2nd hand purcases or swaps ( I have instigated swapping adverts locally for my other hobby items rather than risk a new purchase i may not use i have left the swap interest far wider than these 2 keyboards as well plus i may soon offer up some vintage keys gear too once ive decide what ill part with . I love swapping or part exchanging).

Plus im a bit pissed the shop thats close enough to visit who advertise both as available does not have any on the floor for purchase only available thru shipping so im less inclined to buy new due to that..they lost. Im a buy in person guy so whats the point having a shop that sells it but cant keep any on the floor. I guess they just get them sent straight from distributor. When i first moved here i sort out this local shop being closeish and bought a bit of gear when i was still gigging. But if they cant stock their floors whats the point. Therefore 2nd hand is the way now though there seems the 2nd hand market in aussie is not like it was in the 80s theres simply not much ever offered.

Definately both these in light weigh soft bags would reduce my schlep and the korg give me the zoning options i seek with added advantage of a backup keyboard. If i end up with these 2 both these will be mounted on my Stay Slim stand which folds up so small and weighs around 3kg.

Or even looked into cutting my privia down to a 73 / 76 note keyboard but im not sure if that would even reach the magic 8kg from its 11.5 kg. I have a second damaged privia i bought for spares i could trial it on (i think the main boards gone and the chassis and some keys have cosmetic damage). Its not a pipe dream as the keybed is sectional but a lot of work if it still doesnt reach around 8kg. Obviously removing the speakers would loose .5kg but ive grown to like them. This would give me a piano feeling 73 noter but Just a lot of work. i have too many projects to address now including removing the red goo from 2 Roland XP80s so if there is a keyboard available that i could accept the lighter feeling keys id avoid a privia cutdown job.

Thanks for your info I like hearing reviews from owners

Thanks well im glad to hear it uses similar keybed to A33 as at the time i was amazed how crisp the A33 keybed felt for such a lightweight board. I think i went from a kurzweil K1000 semi weighted at 25 kg to the lightweight A33 at 8.1 kg. Ironically i carried it in a heavy SKB case i had but hey i was young then it was still heaps lighter than mu kurz in a ply session roadcase. Never the less it was a breath of featherlight air lugging that keybed instead of the Kurzweil. Although Roland insisted on haveing the pitch wheel to the left making it longer than needed but probably the least pitch wheel space of any Roland to their credit

I think the Numa Cocal 2x has both form and function of my desired physical attributes. Simiarly the diminuative korg kross has form weli sorted though by what i hear fails with the keybed feel. But thats ok as im intending the numa keybed to play most of the korgs sounds. Using the korg as a multi zoned module but with abitity to play as second keyboard. I like zoning.

Happy to help. It sounds like you and I are on similar quests, for similar reasons: getting old! :laugh:

I started playing as a one-man act when COVID reared up -- well, actually, when COVID started to die down a bit -- using MIDI to play pre-recorded bass, drums, rhythm parts, etc. I really like it, but carrying around all the gear by myself has changed my perspective a bit. I've been gigging with a pair of Nord Electro 5D 73s, which work fine, albeit with some strange quirks in how one splits up parts over MIDI. I recently sold a bunch of gear, and bought a Stage 3, which arguably replaces both of them. Except I need a second keyboard for many songs. Thus, the Numa, the closest thing I've found to a '0kg keyboard' that actually plays well and does splits.

I agree about the feel of the TP9W keybed; I always liked the A-33, and that's probably why. The TO9 is surprisingly piano-like, even though it wouldn't pass a blind test with a real weighted one. But I've got tendon issues with my hands, and semi-weighted keys are the better choice. I've spent a lot of time and money lightening the rig, especially the rolling rack that contains sound modules, mixers, and the laptop. Some of the choices have been surprising. ex: my TX802 made the cut. It weighs about 5kg, but it doubles as a 19" rack shelf, holding my drum machine, my USB audio interface, and an Ethernet switch for the digital mixers. (I don't trust wireless for a gig.) So, the net weight cost is more like 2-3kg. Plus, no one has come out with a really authentic 21st-century FM synth yet -- including Yamaha.

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

bw@wahler.us