Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos with Korg Plugkey and iPad

I'm a midi idiot plain and simple.

I want to connect my iPad to my Kronos using my Korg Plug Key for a gig I'm playing at church tonight.

Basically I will be launching a backing track from my iPad and then using program sounds or combis from the Kronos to "play along" with the backing track on the iPad.

I need help with understanding what I need to do on the Kronos for this to happen. Does the iPad connection, which is thru a midi cable, need to be set up on a unique midi channel using the Kronos parameters? Do I need to assign the iPad to say channel 1 and then assign the Kronos piano or strings to channel 2 so both can be heard simultaneously?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're only using the iPad for backing tracks, you probably don't need MIDI at all.

(A) Assuming that you can hear your backing tracks out of the iPad itself (when it's not connected to the Kronos), then the iPad itself is generating the audio (it doesn't need to send MIDI to an external device to generate the backing track).

(B) Assuming the sounds you want to play from the Kronos are Kronos sounds (that is, you're not trying to use the Kronos keys to plays sounds that reside in your iPad), there's no need to send MIDI from the Kronos to the iPad just to play along with the backing track.

If the iPad doesn't need to send MIDI to the Kronos (A), and the Kronos doesn't need to send MIDI to the iPad (B), then there's no need for a MIDI connection at all. Just think of the iPad as a second keyboard, it's just another sound source you can plug into your amp or plug into your mixer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you only want to launch the backing tracks from your ipad and use the Kronos internal sounds, why would you want to connect the two? Of course you can, using two separate channels. Personally i would connect the Kronos to the ipad through the PlugKey only if I wanted to play with the ipad's internal vsts (Korg Module, or any other iOS cat). Otherwise I would leave each sound source (Korg and iPad) as a standalone, directly to the FoH
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Good points there. One of my challenges is our pro sound team is novice and I only have access to two channels of the FoH. Right now I have Kronos stereo cables running into my Motion Sound amp. The MS has two XLR channels connected to FoH. I also have a CX3 organ plugged into the Motion Sound amp (which serves as a monitor for me on stage).

I was thinking that the backing tracks audio (not midi) would need to be somehow connected to the Kronos in such a way that this audio would come out of the Kronos stereo cables. Am I crazy?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

MIDI cables only carry MIDI data, they don't carry audio.

It sounds like your problem is that you have run out of inputs on your Motion Sound amp?

You can route the audio from your iPad into the Kronos, and then, yes, have that audio come out of the Kronos' stereo output cables, but this has nothing to do with MIDI. You need to use the Kronos' audio input capabilities. I've never done it, but check voip's post at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=114999 - the part that starts with "alternatively..."

You should also be able to do it over USB... maybe check this thread, which I have not read in its entirety...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72020

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

MIDI cables only carry MIDI data, they don't carry audio.

It sounds like your problem is that you have run out of inputs on your Motion Sound amp?

You can route the audio from your iPad into the Kronos, and then, yes, have that audio come out of the Kronos' stereo output cables, but this has nothing to do with MIDI. You need to use the Kronos' audio input capabilities. I've never done it, but check voip's post at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=114999 - the part that starts with "alternatively..."

You should also be able to do it over USB... maybe check this thread, which I have not read in its entirety...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72020

I run my PlugKey"s output to my Kronos input jacks. Check your Kronos Operations Guide for information on how to input audio (p.22) and then use the Global (p. 179) menu to route the audio to the L/R outputs.

Here for the gear.