Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

8DIO release Soundpaint

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like they have a few instruments available today ($300 for current bundle), with many more to come considering 8DIO's entire library. I love the idea behind the morphing/layering, but this could get very expensive very quickly as one adds instruments at $30 a pop. Get it on the iPad (with iPad pricing) and they've got a winner, despite the big storage footprint. Guess I gotta go get smarter on midi 2.0 controllers ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

8DIO caught some flak for the way they handled the sample library support for the Prophet X/XL. They have been slow to create new add-on packs for it.

However, as a Prophet XL owner, I'm fine with the sample content 8DIO provided even if they never released another add-on pack especially since I can import my own samples.

IMO, 8DIO's overall approach to sampling is actually pretty d8mn good because they do provide great source material for creating sounds.

8DIO always seems to have some type of sale which makes the price of their sound libraries reasonable too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I downloaded and played with the freebie version (single antique piano). As a solo software instrument, it does cool things the others don't. It's pretty amazing. I could play an entire gig with this thing, and get plenty of different acoustic piano colors and shapes out of it. And that's before we go all experimental ...

And that's with a single "instrument". It'll get pretty crazy blending and morphing up to four "software instruments", albeit expensive. Maybe if I choose wisely, it won't be too bad ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I messed with it a bit but couldn't get it to sound like a "normal" piano. I suppose it has its uses for film scoring, experimental, etc. but for straight-ahead gigging I would have to pass.

Correct. I wouldn't recommend the 8DIO stuff for traditional bread and butter sounds. It's more of a composer/sound designer soundset. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It"s really not hard to take a 'bread and butter' sound and do things with eq and efx that turn it into what 8DIO is selling here. I"m not positive of course, but i am pretty sure i can get close to the patches I heard on this piano using my regular NI Grandeur or NY piano. So why not let us have a 'clean' piano? Maybe 8DIO figured there"s enough of those already!

It"s really not hard to take a 'bread and butter' sound and do things with eq and efx that turn it into what 8DIO is selling here. I"m not positive of course, but i am pretty sure i can get close to the patches I heard on this piano using my regular NI Grandeur or NY piano. So why not let Youus have a 'clean' piano? Maybe 8DIO figured there"s enough of those already!

You're correct. 8DIO would have no business if more folks did it. :laugh:

But, I think it's been determined that very few KB players actually put their clean sounds through EQ and EFX. :D

The parameters of EQ and EFX are usually buried in menus on digital KBs in such a way that folks don't bother to use them extensively in sound design.

The last ROMpler I owned was a Roland FA-07. While the FA-07 had had everything in terms of features underneath the hood, it lacked immediacy in terms of sound design.

Being able to reproduce a sound rolling around in one's head should only take a minute or two but definitely not 5.

IMO, sound designers like 8DIO remove those barriers to creativity and/or at least they provide a less convoluted starting point.

Otherwise, every KB player could come up with a prepared piano providing they know how use EFX. :cool:

PD

Coincidentally I got an email from them announcing new sounds, including a rhodes - their "Rhodes 1976."

https://soundpaint.com/products/rhodes-1976

I can get behind this one more â listening to the demos (they have some very good players doing them), it has a nice old school sound, hopefully with good layer switching that makes it responsive and playable. Still - some of the stuff sounds like it was pressed to a vinyl record and played back on a cheap turntable with bad wow and flutter specs! I guess this is intentional? And another weirdness (to me) was some very clicky attack sounds in spots. But seeing as the engine is free, this could be a good deal at $20 if those characteristics I heard could be dialed out.

Coincidentally I got an email from them announcing new sounds, including a rhodes - their "Rhodes 1976."

https://soundpaint.com/products/rhodes-1976

I can get behind this one more â listening to the demos (they have some very good players doing them), it has a nice old school sound, hopefully with good layer switching that makes it responsive and playable. Still - some of the stuff sounds like it was pressed to a vinyl record and played back on a cheap turntable with bad wow and flutter specs! I guess this is intentional? And another weirdness (to me) was some very clicky attack sounds in spots. But seeing as the engine is free, this could be a good deal at $20 if those characteristics I heard could be dialed out.

Great jam in that first example. The source instrument, their sampling and programming are getting some very cool timbres for sure.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

You're correct. 8DIO would have no business if more folks did it. :laugh:

But, I think it's been determined that very few KB players actually put their clean sounds through EQ and EFX. :D

The parameters of EQ and EFX are usually buried in menus on digital KBs in such a way that folks don't bother to use them extensively in sound design.

The last ROMpler I owned was a Roland FA-07. While the FA-07 had had everything in terms of features underneath the hood, it lacked immediacy in terms of sound design.

Being able to reproduce a sound rolling around in one's head should only take a minute or two but definitely not 5.

IMO, sound designers like 8DIO remove those barriers to creativity and/or at least they provide a less convoluted starting point.

Otherwise, every KB player could come up with a prepared piano providing they know how use EFX. :cool:

My feeling is that folks truly interested in sound design are the same ones that are already using computers and virtual instruments, more likely comfortable digging into eq and efx, and not using a keyboard workstation to do this kind of stuff. Not that any modern keyboard workstation couldn't do them, but as you say, that might involve menu diving and fiddling with parameters that would require more patience. 8DIO and others doing similar things are offering a shortcut; If I had a need for these kinds of sounds I might very well appreciate them for this - especially if I had time constraints that some pros doing this work have. I'll guess that those are the folks 8DIO are targeting, not guys like me that often have time on their hands! :)