Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to see Henry Kapono and Friends in November.

surfergirl

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of them surfergirl But that does not mean much as I never listen to any new music, and usually only 1950's or 60's and 70's music that I have on CD. I also have gigabytes of MP3's from that time. A lady on my street once gave me a DVD full of 40's and 50's music, literally many hundreds maybe thousands of songs from that era.

Hope you have a great time at the concert.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Their unabashed positivity is refreshing and made me smile.

Of course, I noticed the excellent tone of his amplified-acoustic guitar- and brief though it was, I also really dug the little volume-swell parts played by the gentleman with the Telecaster. :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

That's Alx Kawakami on the Telecaster.

Thanks for that!

I looked him up, GREAT player AND singer; he has excellent fingerstyle technique and tone on an acoustic guitar! And he makes it all look and sound easy! But I noticed it happens that he isn't the one playing the very short part that I was commenting on before- though I'm sure that he'd be quite capably up to the task of doing the same. Particularly as it appears that he's up to the task of simply flipping over a "righty" Telecaster to play it "lefty", no re-stringing required!

That part I was referring to occurs at about the 2:24 mark in the video you posted above, at which time Mr. Kawakami isn't playing his guitar; it appears that the second gentleman past Alx to his left is playing that, on a dark-ish sunburst Telecaster.

In any case, what a talented group of singers and players on that stage, all-around!

Here's that great video of Alx Kawakami that I ran across:

[video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

November has now become June. Will this ever end?

Dang it!!!

No, I don't think there is an end in the foreseeable future. Eventually we will have antibodies enough to protect ourselves better. And, any virus that kills it's hosts is a failure since it also dies.

This will become like the flu, with a vaccine every year to prevent infection. The Spanish flu was a world wide pandemic and lasted for 10 years and we are still not shed of the flu and never will be.

I have no idea how long it will take to establish a "new normal". Myself and our bassist are discussing resigning from the band, there aren't many gigs and now they move indoors. Neither of us want to do that, at all.

I've had a good run, been gigging for 45 years or so and got a few thousand gigs in. I'll miss it but I have other ways to express my music that are safer.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

SurferGirl, Sorry to hear the concert has been moved to June...Hope you will still be able to see them when they come to town again... :cool:

Kuru, Sad to hear that your band is breaking up and your giving up gigging. I no longer wish to play for people but can't refuse close friends and family. My problem is more to do with my CRS (can't remember sh*t LoL!) than the virus... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

SurferGirl, Sorry to hear the concert has been moved to June...Hope you will still be able to see them when they come to town again... :cool:

Kuru, Sad to hear that your band is breaking up and your giving up gigging. I no longer wish to play for people but can't refuse close friends and family. My problem is more to do with my CRS (can't remember sh*t LoL!) than the virus... :cool:

The memory is a factor with me as well, Larryz. It becomes especially difficult when I am asked to learn songs that are new to me. I love Wichita Lineman and the solo sounds simple. In years past I would have had it down pretty quickly. Now it just doesn't stick. But at least I like it so I keep on trying. On the other hand, I've never liked and never will like "Me and Mrs. Jones", especially not the long version our singer wants to do. So learning that seems tough and completely unrewarding. I'm used to playing songs I don't like (Sweet Home Alabama anyone?) but I already know them and I've never done the "exact copy of the original thing." Nobody cares if the dance floor fills up.

I'm just tired, but this has been coming for quite a while. We had a pretty good summer but I was laid up from the foot surgery and there is another thing - I hate playing band gigs sitting down and I can't stand up for the full time.

I've got a really light guitar I'm working on, that will help and I'm getting better day by day but I just don't feel like indoors gigging is safe yet. So I have to take a solid pass on this winter. We have 3 gigs in October, the first one is outdoors. I've committed to those, hopefully all goes well. I don't want anymore indoor gigs until further notice.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My problem is more to do with my CRS (can't remember sh*t LoL!) than the virus... :cool:

Me too, I am playing better than ever these days, but I CRS anymore, songs that I have playing for ten years every third day are sometimes a mystery to me, and I have to go listen to my own stuff and relearn. Old age is a real treat ain't it.

Kuru, I have been playing solo sitting down for some time now, but back in my band days +1 on being up on my feet so I could get into it. I had to play songs I didn't care for in my band gigging days but I enjoyed most of the material we picked on. The singer calls the tune as I also cant sing a song I don't care for, or it's out of my register, etc. That's the nice thing about playing solo, you get to do the tunes you want to do. I don't like doing requests as I have to rely on my practiced material but I will play a request if it's on my list LoL! +1 on not doing the original leads as I like to improvise and never copy leads. I will get the hook or gist of the hook when it's an integral part of the song. Hope your surgery turned out well! Our rule when the band breaks up was you give notice, and are only committed to the remaining gigs (unless the band finds a replacement sooner). I'm not a fan of outdoor gigs though unless the weather is just right and I'm in the shade or it's getting dark! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

DBM, Yeah getting old is hell on us when it comes to remembering our material. I think I have forgot more than I have ever learned LoL! I still play a little every day and some days I can get through the tunes with almost no clams and other times it seems like the crabs are eating me alive! I was at a point where I could play for three hours and not have any problems. But now days If I can get through one hour with very few errors to cover, I feel good about it...I only play for my own enjoyment these days and have pretty much stopped gigging. When friends want me to play at a private party or a jam, I have fun at the get together, but I will only play for free now. That way if I goof up on tunes I've played a thousand times, I don't worry about it as much LoL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz