Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Beat Bars" selling Ashby-style adaptors

EricBarker

I made the same mistake everyone seems to make, I got a Yamaha FC-7 and tried to plug it in to non-Yam kit. I read about the now-defunct Ashby Solutions adaptor. But a little digging revealed a place in Poland supplying the same thing. I took a chance and ordered it from them. Considering some of you have old Ashby's you guard with your lives, I figured I should post the link. I'll let you know if it works when I get it:

https://beatbars.com/en/trs-extension-reversed.html

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find!

As another option, I recently had Redco Audio make me up a few of them to keep around. I had them done with a right-angle TRS-M connector, and a five foot cable (long enough to reach the ground). This link will pre-populate their cable maker page, including the note to swap the tip and ring.

https://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html?cableid=N8VCV

I can't see paying $20 for something like this. I discovered a long time ago (like 1989) that trick of switching the polarity of tip & ring on the FC-7. I keep a few of these on hand and just cut off the factory plug and solder the new one on with the tip/ring reversed. Done deal.

Please don't yell at me, I understand the desire to keep the pedal intact so that it can be used with different boards, as well as the fact that not everyone has access or skill with a soldering iron, but for me I always mount my pedals permanently to pedalboards or mark them on the bottom as to which keyboard it's wired for.

Side-note, I'm happy to wire up an adapter for anyone in the USA that wants one, for the cost of parts and a padded post-office envelope postage. Takes me like 15 min to make one. :) It'll just be a shorty though, my supply of free cabling is limited.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I've made my own; have about 4 of them stowed away in various places. I had two break in one night on a gig about 2 years ago due to the shxtty non-lead solder.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I used a different approach. (I can't take credit for it, though. I saw this solution posted somewhere else.)

Get a Hosa YPP-117 ($7.30):

41GeFF4mm7L._AC_.jpg

And a Hosa YPP-136 ($6):

41xQ7TJ2sdL._AC_.jpg

Connect red-to-black and vice versa and the polarity is reversed.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

I used a different approach...

Bulky, but definitely effective. :)

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I used a different approach...

Bulky, but definitely effective. :)

Lol! Yeah, a little bulky. I used heat-shrink tubing to hide/secure the connection between the adapters and more heat-shrink for the connection to the pedal. It ends up looking like a thin snake swallowing a tiny mouse.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

I used a different approach. (I can't take credit for it, though. I saw this solution posted somewhere else.)

Get a Hosa YPP-117 ($7.30):

And a Hosa YPP-136 ($6):

This is what I do. I can't solder.

Markyboard still has plenty of these adaptors for sale. He uses nothing but the highest quality parts for assembly. As he doesn't come around here anymore, anyone who might be interested PM or text me if you have my number and I'll put you in touch with him. I have his permission for this.
:nopity:

First time I saw it was here:

https://barrysmixedreviews.blogspot.com/2008/09/barrys-mixed-reviews-yamaha-fc7_313.html

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Bought the Italian made Physis K4 Master MIDI Controller years ago and was pissed when 4 of the 8 pedal jacks wouldn"t work.

Bought the last dozen Ashby had and actually like the way it adds more length to the FC7"s.

Lucky for me I was making great bread and didn"t mind the 45 dollar costs.

Turns out the K4 and FC7X-II"s while being expensive were a fantastic hassle free investment.

These would have been easier on the pocket book though.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic